Trying to decide on a Bike

Who knows, you might find 2 shops you are comfortable with, and you will make your decision based on the bike and not the shop.

I don't think he said he was doing that, did he?

Also, 5 years is not a long enough warranty.

I don't think he said he was doing that, did he?

I am trying to decide between Bikes. I have narrowed the search down to 4 bikes offered by a local dealer I feel comfortable with.

As for the guys telling you to check out other bikes, I have to respectfully disagree. If you're happy with your shop and these are the bikes they offer, stick with them. IMO it's pretty goddamn hard to find a shop you really love and if you've found that go with what they offer, especially since they offer good brands for you to choose from.

I am total agreence that you if you are happy with your bike shop dont go anywhere else. And it seems like you are so take the next bit of adivce even less than the above :)
Basically, the above says purchase from the shop you feel comfortable with, and it limits you to the brands they carry.

You are buying a bike, not a bike shop. For me the shop is a secondary issue.
Speaks for itself.

I can't disagree about the bike shop but at the same time my point is that most of these bikes are going to do the job just fine, in which case the shop becomes much more of a consideration.

Again, I suggest you look around, it is always better to have options. Who knows, you might find 2 shops you are comfortable with, and you will make your decision based on the bike and not the shop.
Basically, this says if you are going to purchase your bike based on being comfortable with a shop (as suggested above), do yourself a favor and check out another shop.

If frac feels equally comfortable with two or more shops, the decision becomes more bike centered and not shop/service centered.

Personally, I would rather have more choices than less...

I don't see how quotes from you and I as well as ytc100 and heythorpe reflect what the OP did to come to that conclusion. There's nothing in his statement that says he didn't already try other area bike shops and narrow it down to that one.

In other words, you're projecting, son.

I have been riding a Giant Reign since September (basically an over-amplified Trance), and love the bike more and more every time I ride it. As was said above, the suspension design works exactly as advertised, and the pedal bob is almost nil when pushing uphill. Like you, I needed a do-anything bike, though I had to factor extreme stuff like Diablo and Plattekill into the mix as well.

I test rode the Giant Reign, Specialized Stumpjumper and Santa Cruz Nomad. The geometry on the Giant felt tightest of all three, and though the SC felt most "solid", I couldn't drop the money on it. Even on a few laps around the shop's parking lot will gain you a HUGE amount of insight on the bike. Good luck to you

Wow you have issues. talk to you at 2
Yes I do, and in order of priority:
1: Fridge/Freezer died last night after meghan spent about $300 on groceries and I have absolutely no place to store this stuff and i need to purchase 1 ASAP;
2: Your 2:00 phone calls

back to bike shopping...

Hmm,

Well I didn't realize shop choice was such a HUGE factor. I have visited several "shops" in my area. Other than Beachwood Bikes, every other shop didn't cary much. Two of them didn;t have mountain bikes, and the 3rd one had 1 FS bike, which was a lower end than what I was looking to buy.

If you can reccoment other shops close to Barnegat by all means please do. Looking at the Shop locator section, I did not see much around my area.

Beachwood bikes is going to be the best bet for you in your area. Those guys are good people. Its just a matter of how far of a drive you would still consider for a "Local" bike shop.

Hmm,

Well I didn't realize shop choice was such a HUGE factor. I have visited several "shops" in my area. Other than Beachwood Bikes, every other shop didn't cary much. Two of them didn;t have mountain bikes, and the 3rd one had 1 FS bike, which was a lower end than what I was looking to buy.

If you can reccoment other shops close to Barnegat by all means please do. Looking at the Shop locator section, I did not see much around my area.

i think there is a really good bike shop on LBI just North of the causeway in ship bottom. at least it used to be pretty good. depending on where you are in barnegat, that could be a ten minute drive or a 1/2 hour. off season, that is.

Hmm,

Are you willing to head north a bit? Brielle Cyclery is just a few miles from GSP Exit 90 and stocks lots of bikes and bike related bling. They have a sizeable loaner fleet from what I recall so you can try lots of different bikes, and the staff are very knowledgeable about local trails (which would include your Bread-and-Butter park Allaire) so they can recommend the best bike for your style of riding.

And follow the one piece of advice most are advocating here: buy the most bike you can afford. I made that mistake with my first road bike and quickly outgrew it. When it came to MTB I was hardtail, then full squish, then back to hardtail but it took me several thousand dollars and 4 bought-and-sold bikes to figure out I like riding hardtails best. I try to go with the most bike for my buck because I can only buy one bike every few years, so I have to make it really count. Good components bought upfront will save you money over trying to upgrade cheap stuff after the fact.

Last edited:
Frac,
I live down your way and as I mentioned have purchased several bikes from Beachwood. If you like the bikes he has it's hard to find a better shop.

That being said I now ride a Cannondale Scalpel and a Cannondale System Six road bike purchased at Halters. Jason (JDOG) much like Greg loves what he does and will spend as much time helping you as you need.

Have you been into Bicycles Unlimited in Lacey? He doesn't have much of a selection right now but that will change. He just became a Trek dealer and is beginning to stock the selves. If you have a bike in mind tell him and he will have it in the shop for you to ride.

Hate them all...

...but I'll go w/ #1.A Trance would go farther into the DH realm but you'll pay for it later when you're fit and snappy and want a more xc feel.If anyone is sure what they want and it's Spec,Trek or Gary F let me know and I'll see what I can "do"............................

Back
Top Bottom