Try before I buy

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I'm looking to buy a 29'er hardtail, but I'm a bit tentative because I'm worried it might be too much bike. To that end, I'd really like to demo a few (real demos - like on a trail) before I pull the trigger.

I'm 5'5", 130#, 29" inseam so I'm looking for a small frame. Anyone have any idea where I could find a small demo?

Since I'm going to have to part out my current ride to set-up the new one (budget doesn't allow for multiple bikes in the stable), I want to be pretty confident in the new set-up before I lay out the bread for a frame, fork, wheels, & tires.

Thanks.

pinkshirtphotos

come to kittatiny on a monday, tuesday, or wednesday around 3 and you can ride my mary ss. i have a 31" inseam and it fits nice. pm me if you want to meet up.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
come to kittatiny on a monday, tuesday, or wednesday around 3 and you can ride my mary ss. i have a 31" inseam and it fits nice. pm me if you want to meet up.

Dude - thanks for the offer - that's awesome. This week's no good for me - I'll be stuck in a training M-W in the Princeton area. But if you're going to be riding anytime after that, let me know and we'll set something up.

pinkshirtphotos

give me a date any monday tuesday or wednesday. just have to let me know a little in advanced. ill throw 2 bikes in the car before school.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'm looking to buy a 29'er hardtail, but I'm a bit tentative because I'm worried it might be too much bike. To that end, I'd really like to demo a few (real demos - like on a trail) before I pull the trigger.

I'm 5'5", 130#, 29" inseam so I'm looking for a small frame. Anyone have any idea where I could find a small demo?

Since I'm going to have to part out my current ride to set-up the new one (budget doesn't allow for multiple bikes in the stable), I want to be pretty confident in the new set-up before I lay out the bread for a frame, fork, wheels, & tires.

Thanks.

Don't be afraid..

You will love it. Promise.

Now that I have seen that you fit on a 29er there is no stopping this.

j-

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Don't be afraid..

You will love it. Promise.

Now that I have seen that you fit on a 29er there is no stopping this.

j-

Dont beleive the hype. Iam 5'10" and hated the 29. Ask STB, he will back me up!! The 29 will eventually fall to the wayside with Reebox, New coke, and beepers.

walter

Fourth Party
Tommy, keep your current rig and pick up a Haro Mary or Ally, or a Redline Mono. All could be had for a few hundred.

The Kalmyk

Dont beleive the hype. Iam 5'10" and hated the 29. Ask STB, he will back me up!! The 29 will eventually fall to the wayside with Reebox, New coke, and beepers.

They aren't for everybody...Glad you are happy with your new ride...If this is indeed true (29er fad) I suggest you go play the lottery because you see something not everyone believes...I would imagine DJ bikes are alot more fun on a 26 inch and for pump track action definetly 26 inch blows away a 29er...I think TommyJay is more of a trail rider therefore I vote 29er...But again it may not be for him...It's worth trying, you did right

Note: Thread Title "TRY before you buy"

Last edited:

Kmoodymz3

Aren't 29ers made for the 5' 10" and up crowd? I'm 5'5"/130# and something with 29" wheels seems way too big for me. I'd suggest you do more research before you pull the trigger. MTBR has an active 29er forum, check it out.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Not anymore!! I'm 5'8" and have a short inseam. I ride a 17.5 Fisher and have TONS of standover, they make it in a 15.5 as well, it will fit riders down to 5 foot nothing. You are more than welcome to take mine out somewhere, like 6-mile for the day (just pick it up in the morning and drop it back off to me before we close) It's got the Uber-Bling Fisher team build and all. But BEWARE!! You WILL buy one afterwards so you better have some loot saved up:D

-Jim.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Not anymore!! I'm 5'8" and have a short inseam. I ride a 17.5 Fisher and have TONS of standover, they make it in a 15.5 as well, it will fit riders down to 5 foot nothing. You are more than welcome to take mine out somewhere, like 6-mile for the day (just pick it up in the morning and drop it back off to me before we close) It's got the Uber-Bling Fisher team build and all. But BEWARE!! You WILL buy one afterwards so you better have some loot saved up:D

-Jim.

Jim is spot on..

Not just for big kids.

Kmoodymz3

Huh, guess I should pay more attention to what is out there. Of course I'm still using my first iPOD it has a whole 10 MB...:rofl:

Top Bottom