Trusting an EBB...

ellbiddy

Well I finally decided on putting together a SS bike, I'm stuck between choosing a SS specific frame with an EBB and just using a tensioner. I haven't found any frames a like that have horizontal dropouts with set screws (I don't seem to trust those either on a mtb). My worry is since it's a SS and I mash the pedals that I'll strip seize the EBB and then either have to get new screws or hammer the thing out if I need to adjust it.

I was thinking of getting an Air9 with a tensioner or a one 9 and just pray the thing doesn't break.

BiknBen

I've had a Haro Mary and currently have a Niner One9. On each frame, I have stripped an Eccentric bolt. The stock bolt on each frame has a recessed 4mm hex. IMO, too small to really torque it down and keep the eccentric from moving. And, if you strip it bad, it could be a b!tch to get out of the frame.

I got the specs from Niner and bought some replacements. Home Deport had stock replacement screws but I went with bolts with a standard head. These use a 6mm wrench which you can really tighten down.

JDog did a double-take when he noticed them. :eek: But... they stay tight and I no longer have to worry about stripping.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Once I discovered the heavy duty PTFE trick for eliminating the creaking on my SIR9, it has been flawless so far w/the EBB torqued to spec (5 lb-ft).

Also made sure to put anti-seize on the titanium set screws.

The bike is only a couple of months old, but I can't imagine having the EBB seize up with this setup...especially on a aluminum bike where you don't need to concern yourself with rust building up in there.

I weigh pretty close to 200lbs and have been known to mash...I haven't had to adjust the chain tension at all (except when I was yanking it apart trying different things to prevent creaking).

There are other Niner SSers floating around here as well as the reigning Niner supply guy for MTBNJ, jdog...I'd be interested to hear if they have different experiences or take on it...

At any rate, the EBB design on the Niner is much nicer than the GF Rig...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i started on my mary, which has an EBB, when i was 235lbs. i was sure that i'd strip it, especially the way i ride which is all mash. almost two years later and still a healthy 200 lbs, i haven't had a single issue with it. no creaking, or anything else. do i take care of it? yep. but what's two minutes to make sure it's tight? i do agree with ben, the 4m allen is a bit of a rub.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Every time I've checked the torque on the SIR9 it is fine. On the GF Rig, I had to tighten the damn thing after every ride...even have done it *during* a ride.

bozizle

Pw

I have been using a Phil Wood EBB on 2 of my custom ride and have never had this problem. 3.5 years now with one of the bikes and I have never had the issue on that EBB.

I did have a GF Rig last year and that EBB setup drove me nuts and was an issue. That being said the EBB in my opinion is a much better choice for SS.

ellbiddy

Hmm :/ any real benefit of an EBB to a tensioner besides making taking the wheel off that much easier?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
unless you are converting from geared to SS (or something along those lines) then, IMHO, the EBB is far more reliable than the chain tensioner. that's what my real world experience has taught me. if you do go that route (chain tensioner), don't mess with the surly, go right for the rennen.

TonyC

I have a Bushnell eccentric bottom bracket w/o set screws and don't have any problems with it.

-225lbs w/gear

walter

Fourth Party
I have had 3 Ebb's with no problems at all. In my opinion tensioners and horizontal drop outs are a pain in the stones. Is my wheel straight, are my set screws even, why are my brakes rubbin, blah blah blah. An Ebb leaves a cleaner look on the bike and never makes you question if the wheel is in the right spot. Now that you know the tricks, get a bike with an Ebb and re do the screws and go ride.

don

I just saw this over on singtrackworld's Interbike coverage:

d2-9.jpg

SingletrackWorld.com said:
Niner EBB - rather clever? - Here’s a clever take on the eccentric bottom bracket design. The cups on the new Niner EBB bolt together. That’s it. One bolt pulls the cups together into the BB shell - and then, in theory, it doesn’t move. No grubscrews or wedges. Interesting...

http://singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=3053&PHPSESSID=b5f7f773a688f035cf5cd89bb48f61d5

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a Bushnell eccentric bottom bracket w/o set screws and don't have any problems with it.

-225lbs w/gear

I had a Bushnell on my 7 SS 26er and it was awesome. The c-dale version leaves much to be desired but it works.

Bushnell makes a ebb for the C-dale standard. I need to order 10 at a time but I am going to get them soon.

IMHO there is no better route that a Bushnell if you are running disc brakes. If not, horz dropouts are hard to beat.

j

bobkennelly

I had a Bushnell on my 7 SS 26er and it was awesome. The c-dale version leaves much to be desired but it works.

Bushnell makes a ebb for the C-dale standard. I need to order 10 at a time but I am going to get them soon.

IMHO there is no better route that a Bushnell if you are running disc brakes. If not, horz dropouts are hard to beat.

j

Could you please reserve one of them for me,
thx

ItsWin

Another option is a Voodoo frameset. I ride a Bokor and it has sliding dropouts that have proven to be solid and reliable (though I recently decided to switch back to gears again - maybe I'll get a separate bike for SS someday). Their concept is a good one. You get the simplicity, sureness, and straight alignment of vertical dropouts and the adjustability of horizontals.

In their 29" line, the Cro-Mo (Dambala) and titanium (Zaka) frames have the sliders.

don

Another option is a Voodoo frameset. I ride a Bokor and it has sliding dropouts that have proven to be solid and reliable (though I recently decided to switch back to gears again - maybe I'll get a separate bike for SS someday). Their concept is a good one. You get the simplicity, sureness, and straight alignment of vertical dropouts and the adjustability of horizontals.

In their 29" line, the Cro-Mo (Dambala) and titanium (Zaka) frames have the sliders.

I don't have any experience with the EBB but they look like they provide an elegant solution as long as they aren't creaking and moving. One side benefit is a small amount of adjustment of the BB height.

The sliding dropouts look like they work - I have an Evil Sovereign that has them and they are nice and easy to adjust. I think the Paragon's are used by many builders. They seem to be very functional but I can't get into how they look on many frames. The axle always seems and inch or 2 back from where it should be.

I've seen pivoting dropouts that are look a little like Paragons and are a little cleaner. I can't for the life of me find a pic of them. I thought it was a Black Sheep I saw them on tho.

TonyC

I've seen pivoting dropouts that are look a little like Paragons and are a little cleaner. I can't for the life of me find a pic of them. I thought it was a Black Sheep I saw them on tho.

do you mean this? You've probably seen it at Allaire/Hartshorne/CR.
It's a neat setup and awesome color.

attachment.php

Top Bottom