True newbie

newspills

OK, first off, after looking at a lot of the other posts I am not coming back after a long time off, i am not coming from road riding. I am a true newbie to all of this. A little background on me, played sports all my life and was more of a runner because of those sports. Bad injury and some hip surgery has all but eliminated me running on hard surfaces. SO i went out and bought a mountain bike. I was humbled when i went to ride. I planned on using the bike more for fitness so off road riding isnt my first choice, but i enjoyed the challenge but was really frustrated. i think i spent more time walking the bike back up trails then riding. so i have a couple of questions.

1. Is a good idea to have shoes that clip in?
2. Are there any trails in N. NJ that are easier in nature, wider? I dont mind the smaller tracks but the ones i tried were really rocky and i kept slamming my pedals into them. (When i rode my first time was in Ramapo State Forest,closest place to me. I found one trail that i didnt mind that was in the middle of the horseshoe by the top parking lot.
3. Is there any hope for me?

Bruised and bloody

Sean

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
There is always hope!! :D

Since you are close to Ringwood, try going there and stay on the fire roads until you get comfortable with the bike. Then you can try and hit some of the single track.

You can also go to the Tourne or Lewis Morris for some less rocky terrain.

"clip ins" are the best thing since sliced bread, but it gets a few falls to get used to them. Try a few rides with your "flats" and like I said get a feel for the trails and your bike, then go get your self a pair of clipless pedals and you will never look back.

SpartaBard

Welcome!

1. The sooner you get them, the sooner you will get used to them. Definitely go for it, b/c it will give you much better bike control.

2. Lewis Morris or the Tourne in Morris County. Another great place to start riding is Kittatinny Valley SP in Andover (Sussex County). A real great mix of trails from easy to quite difficult.

Otherwise head down south towards Huber Woods or Hartshorne near Sandy Hook. Allaire also, but you are starting to get pretty far.

Ramapo SF would be a tough place to start out. Stay away from Ringwood or Wayway for a little while, b/c they are more technical.

3. Hey if shaggz can do it, anyone can!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well, i can add nothing useful to this thread other than the standard "welcome to the nuthouse :D" comment.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Clipless pedals rule
Go south to find smoother trails
There is hope for you

Bruised and bloody

Sean

Ouch! Tell me about it - I looked like someone took a spiked club to my legs when I first started biking with clipless pedals. Of course, I did have a pair of old Ritchie pedals that could have used some grease and lighter tension...but I digress.

Things got much, much better when I invested in a pair of Time pedals, they are my personal favorite and I ride them on all of my bikes. Many here like the Crank Brother pedals also, Ron rides them and is very happy with them.

People will debate pedals back and forth, as evidenced here. If you go to a well-stocked bike shop, they may be able to allow you to try out a few of the pedal and shoe combos before you buy, even if its only on a trainer.

Trust me, it gets better and better all the time. Riding more helps. Join in some group rides - we hope to have some planned in the near future. And come to the picnic on October 20 if you can make it.

If a reformed couch potato like myself can mountain bike, anyone can.

Welcome to the site and to the sport.

Glancing Aft

I agree with Elzoller on this. Check out some of the fireroads in Ringwood near skylands manor if you're looking for some very easy trail/roads to learn on. I've taught a few people to ride there (including myself) and it's a great place to go. Stay away from Ramapo for now unless you're just going to do circles around Ramapo Lake.

Welcome to the site!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its the small things. I always notice ;)

Good deal. I may just have to reasses the Hovercraft Sausages fan club. I assume they're a team sponsor?

Oh and can the management at least pick avatars of reasonable size? I feel like Gary Coleman is sitting on the train next to me now.

Last edited:

newspills

thanks

thanks for all the responses. i actually already have clip in pedals and a few falls to go along with it (not getting my feet out in time). i suppose that i will check out Ringwood maybe this weekend sometime. Thats where i was going to go last time but i didnt know that they charged money to park and i didnt have money. thanks again.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
thanks for all the responses. i actually already have clip in pedals and a few falls to go along with it (not getting my feet out in time). i suppose that i will check out Ringwood maybe this weekend sometime. Thats where i was going to go last time but i didnt know that they charged money to park and i didnt have money. thanks again.

they charge from memorial day to labor day. go to the school off valley rd. ;)

Top Bottom