True newbie

Would Lewis Morris be a suitable ride for me? (remember me, the true newbie)

Yes, perfect. Not technical but plenty of climbing. Some roots to keep you honest and a good place to try out the clipless pedals.

Would Lewis Morris be a suitable ride for me? (remember me, the true newbie)

Dear "True Newbie", :) Warm Welcome.

But if you visit the site regularly you will (as you can see already) have to get used to the wandering minds of a somewhat select group of MTBer's. ;) They seem to have a separate society with a secret coded way of communicating :confused: with each other. :p

Regardless, there's still a lot of good stuff going on with the different forums.

just got back from lewis morris

Yes, perfect. Not technical but plenty of climbing. Some roots to keep you honest and a good place to try out the clipless pedals.

thanks for rec. only friggen thing you forgot to tell me was crossing a bridge to get to the trail. so let me paint you a little picture

I am all excited thinking that i will be able to ride without getting frustrated. I get to the parking lot and am a little intimidated by the number of other riders around. So i act cool, hope on the bike and make a b line for the trail head so no one else will be with me. i spot a bridge and some trail marking so i figure this is the way to go. down a little hill quick right onto the bridge. pull my front tire over the step up and the back one hits and barely makes it over. now all of my momentum is gone and we begin to tip. to no suprise i am unable to unclip my shoes from the pedals. falling to my right side i see trees going from vertical to horizantal. Next goes the trail surface, until finally water. Now i am taking a bath. so within the first minute i am soaking wet and pretty p-offed.

SO thanks really a big thanks.

In all honesty though it was a good ride for me. jut like you said, not to technical but good enough. Thanks for real.

thanks for rec. only friggen thing you forgot to tell me was crossing a bridge to get to the trail. so let me paint you a little picture

I am all excited thinking that i will be able to ride without getting frustrated. I get to the parking lot and am a little intimidated by the number of other riders around. So i act cool, hope on the bike and make a b line for the trail head so no one else will be with me. i spot a bridge and some trail marking so i figure this is the way to go. down a little hill quick right onto the bridge. pull my front tire over the step up and the back one hits and barely makes it over. now all of my momentum is gone and we begin to tip. to no suprise i am unable to unclip my shoes from the pedals. falling to my right side i see trees going from vertical to horizantal. Next goes the trail surface, until finally water. Now i am taking a bath. so within the first minute i am soaking wet and pretty p-offed.

In all honesty though it was a good ride for me. jut like you said, not to technical but good enough. Thanks for real.

Reminds me of a ride I did in the Poconos when I first started riding. The trail was very rocky, wet, and narrow. I went over in similar fashion to your fall - just saw the world tilting away from me. I was PO'd also, and almost gave up on the sport. Luckily my moods fade away pretty quickly and I stuck with it. I was pretty impressed with myself when I was able to ride (almost) all of the 25 mile tour of Ringwood I got a few years ago when I was in the comfort zone of "beginner-intermediate" rider.

This is one of those experiences you almost have to have, sort of a right of passage into the sport. Good for you to have fallen and gotten back up on the horse.

Learning how to ride is part of the process and it's a shame that you went down. What you should do is walk sections that you are not comfortable riding yet. We all have fallen and been hurt riding, especially when learning. If you stick with it and join other experienced riders to learn from you will find yourself navigating obstacles that you found intimidating at first with relative ease. Try not to get discouraged, we've all been there. I agree that riding can be frustrating and intimidating at times but part of the great joy I get from biking is seeing myself improve over the years.
You can do it!

Hey Newspills - Don't let that get you down. Turn it around and think of the chuckles you'll give people on this forum when you describe your mishap. We all have and still do tumble, on both tough sections or for no aparent reason on a straight and level stretch of trail.

If you have a spill then get right back on that horse and try it again. Get right over that hurdle and then when you see it again you'll run straight over it.

Hey, have a chat with Armyofnone - he's in contention for the Spillingest Rider Award - and he's all smiles...

Coming home with a scar or two, and a story or two - that's what it's all about!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom