trouble seating tires

walter

Fourth Party
I got new tires for the roadie and I'm wondering if they are on correctly. I know when I do my mountain tires I can hear them pop a few times. I havent heard this with the roadie tires and I'm getting up to about 120 psi.

J, I know I asked you this before but I was driving and forgot what you said.

Should they pop a few times and if so around what pressure?

thanks

BiknBen

Should they pop a few times and if so around what pressure?

No. The tire bead should not have to pop into the hook of the rim.

I've only experienced this with tubeless-ready MTB rims. The rim hook of the MTB is different to lock the bead in place and provide an air-tight seal. Current road rims are not like this.

But wait...Tubeless road tire technology is coming. :rolleyes:

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks Ben, I must of have not had it on right earlier. I put it on and it just didnt look right. I came back a little while later and it was flat and the tire was hanging over the lip of the rim.

Put it back on, gave it some love and pumped it back up and so far so good.

walter

Fourth Party
yep, I must have done something. I changed the tube last night after I found it flat and so far its doing OK. I just tried to pump up the tube I removed and its not even holding air:hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep, I must have done something. I changed the tube last night after I found it flat and so far its doing OK. I just tried to pump up the tube I removed and its not even holding air:hmmm:

Ok ok, good. I thought you had put the tube back on after it was flat. Sounds like you just pinched the tube putting the tire on the first time. That's not unusual.

BiknBen

At this point I'm pretty confused. :eek:

Sounds like user error. ;) Often times the tire goes on the rim but the tube is stuck under the bead. Everything looks fine from the outside but danger is lurking. You pump the tire up, the tube pushes the beam up out of the rim hook and you get a bubble coming out between the tire and rim. Keep pumping and you will hear a loud BOOM!!!

Pump the tire up and stop at 60-100psi. Spin the wheel and check for roundness. You should not see any bulges or humps in the tire are it rotates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom