Trimming trails in CR

hls811

So, if I were to go to CR with some hedge clippers and cleaned up some of the overgrown areas along the trails, would I have to send back my JORBA socks for breaking some unwritten rule, or is it OK for me to do so?

I was riding on the black trail near the stream/creek the other day and its nearly closed off because some of the brush has gotten out of hand. I don't think its a heavily ridden area, and don't mind doing it, but I really don't know the protocol for being able to do that myself.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, if I were to go to CR with some hedge clippers and cleaned up some of the overgrown areas along the trails, would I have to send back my JORBA socks for breaking some unwritten rule, or is it OK for me to do so?

I was riding on the black trail near the stream/creek the other day and its nearly closed off because some of the brush has gotten out of hand. I don't think its a heavily ridden area, and don't mind doing it, but I really don't know the protocol for being able to do that myself.

I would say no combustion motors and you’re Golden. But I really have no idea officially. Nobody is gonna yell at you.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
if I were to go to CR with some hedge clippers and cleaned up some of the overgrown areas along the trails, would I have to send back my JORBA socks for breaking some unwritten rule, or is it OK for me to do so?
The Somerset County Parks has an agreement for Jorba to provide trail maintenance in Chimney Rock Park.

It's not a question if Jorba is ok with you doing work but this is a question for Somerset County Parks.

You would not be the first to perform rogue TM, I'm just giving you the heads up as to how this works. I could have messaged you this on the down low but I posted it hear so that others can understand Jorba and their relationship with parks. This is not meant as a dig at you, I applaud your eargness to help.

Ask @Kirt if there is a TM schedule for pruning, he's the Jorba rep.

hls811

The Somerset County Parks has an agreement for Jorba to provide trail maintenance in Chimney Rock Park.

It's not a question if Jorba is ok with you doing work but this is a question for Somerset County Parks.

You would not be the first to perform rogue TM, I'm just giving you the heads up as to how this works. I could have messaged you this on the down low but I posted it hear so that others can understand Jorba and their relationship with parks. This is not meant as a dig at you, I applaud your eargness to help.

Ask @Kirt if there is a TM schedule for pruning, he's the Jorba rep.
Thank you! I didn’t take it as a dig, that response is exactly why I asked before just going to do it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thank you! I didn’t take it as a dig, that response is exactly why I asked before just going to do it.

There is probably training - my w1f3 was looking at the invasive strike team opportunities.
most of the overgrowth seems to be that multifloral rose - this is done as individuals, vs the group work.
will let you know.

Cafe Dave

See Original post by @gmb3 for more details: https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2021-sourlands-tm.51759/#post-1062233

VPP.PNG

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sucks that you can't use small power tools. I assume that's due to safety concerns?

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The powers that be at the park commision do not want volunteers using power equipment due to an accident that happened to 1 of the rangers last year, it's that simple. To post things in a public forum, in which we know 100% that those at the commission have checked in on this site, stating anything about using such equipment baffles my mind.

mtn

Nobody is going to care if you use hand tools to trim back tree branches or shrubs that are impeding the trail corridor. And that’s for any public trail. There are zero parks that have their workers go around and cut back branches on each of their trails. The only time this becomes iffy is there is a sapling or small tree growing rather close to the trail where it would probably make sense to cut it at the ground rather than trim the branches. But, for sustainability sake, cut those as well.
To clarify, I am talking about using hand pruners or loppers at max.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions