Trimming Steerer Tube

jwave

Just got a new suspension fork (Reba Race 29er) to upgrade the rigid fork that came with my monocog (I know...fork cost about as much as the bike :D). I've sawed handbars with some success without any equipment other than a hacksaw and a couple of files, so I'm thinking that sawing this mofo myself is doable. Then again, I don't have a vise and don't have a saw guide. Am I stupid to attempt this on my own with the tools I have one hand? What tips or advice would give? The steerer is aluminum. :confused:

J-Dro

Just got a new suspension fork (Reba Race 29er) to upgrade the rigid fork that came with my monocog (I know...fork cost about as much as the bike :D). I've sawed handbars with some success without any equipment other than a hacksaw and a couple of files, so I'm thinking that sawing this mofo myself is doable. Then again, I don't have a vise and don't have a saw guide. Am I stupid to attempt this on my own with the tools I have one hand? What tips or advice would give? The steerer is aluminum. :confused:

I would not cut the steerer tube without a saw guide. You really want that cut to be perfectly straight.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
a saw guide is best, but......

while you do want it straight, you can use a pipe cutter to get it started and then finish it off with the hacksaw and files. I have cut steel, aluminum and chrome plated steerers (standard byke company bmx forks) this way and it gets the job done.

one magazine showed that you could tape a spacer to the tube and use that as the guide, but I tried it once and it didn't work so well.

try it yourself and leave it a tad long (spacer on top of stem) and you can take it to a lbs is you fk it.

Top Bottom