trek question

JerzyFresh

I have a low end Trek ..Its a 4300 disc model .. I was wondering what I could do to make it a lil better .. diff fork/shock how to make it shift better? I know its not a great bike but im not a great rider and use it mainly for exercises and training for motocross .. I just pounded the shit out of it and would like to update it a bit.. any thoughts?

walter

Fourth Party
my opinion....upgrades are expensive, putting a better fork on that bike will probably cost as much as you paid for the bike. Sometimes its better to spend just a lil more and buy a newer, updated bike.

JerzyFresh

my opinion....upgrades are expensive, putting a better fork on that bike will probably cost as much as you paid for the bike. Sometimes its better to spend just a lil more and buy a newer, updated bike.

Tring to stay low budget, may find used parts.. I know the bikes not worth putting new $500 forks on it ..I dont feel I use it enough to justify buying a better bike.. at this point anyway

But thanks for your reply :)

mtnbiker7

I have a low end Trek ..Its a 4300 disc model .. I was wondering what I could do to make it a lil better .. diff fork/shock how to make it shift better? I know its not a great bike but im not a great rider and use it mainly for exercises and training for motocross .. I just pounded the shit out of it and would like to update it a bit.. any thoughts?

The fork would make a nice difference in the feel of the bike but an upgrade in shifters and derailleurs would make a huge difference. There's nothing like a new drivetrain because it will make such a difference when your riding. If you would also like to lighten up the bike a bit new wheels are on of the best and quickest ways to do that. A better wheel set will also be stiffer and have a quicker engagement. What kind of a drivetrain is on the bike now?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
don't travel down this path, it will lead to ruin. we have all been there. learn from us.

do nothing with this bike but ride it until it falls to pieces. then spend some decent money and get a better bike.

Dr Superb

do nothing with this bike but ride it until it falls to pieces. then spend some decent money and get a better bike.

Agree 100%....i had the Trek 4500. there is nothing to upgrade on the bike. i rode it for a year, then i knew i really liked the sport and would stick with it. then i went out and bought a new 29er...

JerzyFresh

The fork would make a nice difference in the feel of the bike but an upgrade in shifters and derailleurs would make a huge difference. There's nothing like a new drivetrain because it will make such a difference when your riding. If you would also like to lighten up the bike a bit new wheels are on of the best and quickest ways to do that. A better wheel set will also be stiffer and have a quicker engagement. What kind of a drivetrain is on the bike now?

Frame - Alpha SL Aluminum
Front Suspension - RST Gila T7 w/preload, 80mm
Wheels - Alloy front, Shimano RM60 rear hub; Bontrager Camino rims
Crank - SR XCC-T102 42/34/24
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Alivio

JerzyFresh

don't travel down this path, it will lead to ruin. we have all been there. learn from us.

I spend most of my time and money on motocross and other dirtbike racing.. I like my mtb just would like atleast better fork/shock again used is fine i just dont know what to look for or what fits or any of that

THATmanMANNY

If we tell you to jump off a bridge, will you? :)

I would beg to differ. Don't get a new ride cause we said so. What is your budget? What do they say... it's the rider, not the bike...

DanBrodeen

Second that. Its becomes an addiction. Beat the bike while you save for a new one.

Ironjunk

If you are aching to upgrade i would get x7 derailleur/shifters. Make sure the chainrings are in ok shape as well as the chain.

Take the chain off see if the bottom bracket spins free.

Cranks, not worth the cost vs performance benefit

Wheels, not worth having wheels sitting around that aren't trashed

Fork, not worth the money

JerzyFresh

I hear you guys.. Dont get me wrong if you asked the same questions about dirtbikes Id say the same thing.. and thats because im serious into dirtbikes and im used to riding the best.. But we have to think outside the box here.. how do get a decent working mtb under my ass using what I already have..

If i was going to buy a new bike it would be a full suspension bike.. and i really dont need that

Last edited:

alex_k

you can find a decent new fork (rock shock tora / recon) for $200-300 ($100-150 used). A good fork makes a huge difference. A new bike with the same level fork will cost above $1000.

JerzyFresh

you can find a decent new fork (rock shock tora / recon) for $200-300 ($100-150 used). A good fork makes a huge difference. A new bike with the same level fork will cost above $1000.

Rock Shox TORA TK Fork, 100mm, Lockout/Rebound $135 bucks buy it now ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Shox-TORA-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a7241019

2011 SRAM X7 Rear Derailleur+SHIFTERS(F&R) 9s
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bi-King-2011-SR...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2310e23572

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Craig, while I would recomend just getting a different bike, I understand where you are coming from. you are lucky in that your hard tail is a 26" wheeled bike and parts have come way down in price. My advice would be to look for an air fork on ebay. Rock shox or fox. Yes its like putting fancy suspension on a ttr 125, but you can always take it back off and re-ebay it. I would stay away form the tora only because my wife has broken two riding on gravel roads. They are pretty shitty. Look for a rock shox recon, or a reba. Just leave the drivetrain alone until it breaks, and it will if you start using the bike regularly.

JerzyFresh

Craig, while I would recomend just getting a different bike, I understand where you are coming from. you are lucky in that your hard tail is a 26" wheeled bike and parts have come way down in price. My advice would be to look for an air fork on ebay. Rock shox or fox. Yes its like putting fancy suspension on a ttr 125, but you can always take it back off and re-ebay it. I would stay away form the tora only because my wife has broken two riding on gravel roads. They are pretty shitty. Look for a rock shox recon, or a reba. Just leave the drivetrain alone until it breaks, and it will if you start using the bike regularly.

Bike shifts like shit already , even when new and adjusted right.. I know iv out grown the bike.. Who has something used and cheap for me? Come on Utah ! hook it up

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
if you're going to upgrade your fork, go for a real nice upgrade, otherwise differences will be minimal and you'll waste a bunch of scratch on a middle of the road fork.

i'm from the school of thought that would ride the piss out of this current bike, eventually buy a new one, and then turn this old one into a singlespeed or something completely different.

i always find a different tire really changes the way my bike feels. going from light racing tires to big fat meaty freeride tires is a big change in handling and feel. you may want to try that first, since its cheaper.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the dreaded question.. Whats a good used bike? around $500 used price?

$500 could get you something ok used, but lets say like an 01 cr250....ya ok, but for $1000 you can have an 05 crf450. :)

I actually have sold any bike I wasnt using, im down to two mountain bikes. I had 4 at one time.

I would look for a used 29er hard tail. You can find very nice ones for under $1000. Look for fisher 29ers. Paragon, x-caliber...2008-2010 the frames were all the same minus paint and there are alot of them out there. Light years better than what you have. Actually, talk to luke next time you see him, I think he might be selling one of the bikes in his fleet.

alex_k

I had a tora for 2 years and abused it... recon is virtually the same fork (it is on my daughters bike) but with aluminum uppers. My new reba is very nice and plush but even with 20mm tru axle is not that laterally stiff like my old tora.

Air forks are more tunable and noticeable lighter but coil is still plusher (with a right spring)

Last edited:
Top Bottom