TREK Farley 5, 2018

JohnH

Hi guys;
I have Trek Farley 5 stock with the 4.5 tires. Is it possible to put 3 inch tires on this bike to use for trail riding.
I do use the bike in snow which is great with the 4.5 but in the summer I take the bike on regular trails and I find the tires
to be a bit cumbersome. Just wondering if a 3 or 3.5 tire and rim can be installed.

Thanks

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yes they will fit just fine, however you may have to have a set of wheels built for it as the fatbike hub spacing is larger (to fit the bigger tires) than a typical bike which would run a 3inch tire.

qclabrat

you probably have 80mm rims, 3" tires are a bit too narrow imo. Look for tires btwn 3.25 and 3.8
As a comparison, I have run 3" plus tires on 29 and 27.5 bikes. The rims on those bikes range from 40-50mm.
what tires you have on now?

Mr.Moto

Check the-house.com for some possible wheel tire options. Not sure what size hubs you run on the Farley- 150 / 197 thru axle?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if you want to run 3", get a 29+ wheelset. it will give you that trail experience.
try to find 29r wheels with wide rims and hubs the have end-caps that can be changed to get the spacing right.
Might have to re-dish the rear wheel tho - shop would know, not too expensive, assuming the nipples aren't seized to the spokes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom