Trek 69er

Spylab

What the heck is this thing? Dual crown fork on a single speed hardtail, with a 29 up front and 26 in the rear? 2400 bucks?!

Someone send some logic my way. Saw this thing at Marty's and it was like an acid trip at the Trek factory.

J-Dro

I've never been a big fan of Trek, but you gotta give them credit for innovation on this one. How the design guys got this past the suits in accounting is beyond me.
69er_rootbeer.jpg

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I've yet to notice acceleration lag on the 29.It just destroys my Trek 26 across the board except for crashing.It's a whole lotta bike to get out of when yer going down......................

ArmyOfNone

it really is a sharp looking bike. as Al said i have heard many good things about it. But having some good saddle time on a geared and SS 29er, i would say i did not notice any loss of acceleration. Climbs like a beast. (thats a good thing):)

That brown saddle on the bike really sets everything off for me

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
What the heck is this thing? Dual crown fork on a single speed hardtail, with a 29 up front and 26 in the rear? 2400 bucks?!

Someone send some logic my way. Saw this thing at Marty's and it was like an acid trip at the Trek factory.

Yeah, I saw it, too. I couldn't believe the price tag associated with it. $2400 for a hardtail single speed? -- must be because they are only going to make a few of them. Can't blame them -- if someone feels it is worth it and wants to shell out the money, more power to Trek.

walter

Fourth Party
I dont remember exactly why, but I am sure Brett can back me up on this, if you look at any motocross bike, big front,smaller rear. I believe the theory is the same, big in the front to grab, less in the rear to spin faster.

I may be off a bit but it has been like 20 years since my AMA has expired.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This bike is reality because Travis Brown likes it. In fact he has convinced the folks at Trek that this is worth doing on other bikes for 08'

Crazy stuff.

j

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i know they are doing the 69ers in a 1x9 version as well.

i rode it around the parking lot and fork seemed way, way squishy. too squishy. granted, parking lot and it may be way different on the trail.

not to mention the fact there is no way in hell i'd pay 2400 wampum for an SS.

D

DANSPANK

I looked in to it during those dark winter nights and found a couple of places offering it for about $1600. There was a place on Long Island that had one for that price. Just google for it.

lancerracer

Most people are picking them up for around 1600-1800..it is still a little outrageous to spend that much on a stock SS, but it is a cool bike none the less..

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i haven't researched them in awhile since i'm pretty well set on a full 29er, but IIRC, trek wasn't moving on the pricing so folks getting them for that are doing really well. if they're telling the truth, that is.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
This bikes been kickin around for awhile and there's not too many of them.The price from Trek is ridiculous but everything Dan found so far is legit.It's cool looking but basically I don't get it.This could help some people keep they're trailing tire in line more in the twisty but i don't see the need for a product to solve pilot error.Full 29 hardtail, assimilate or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
There was a guy in a full Trek kit, I'm assuming East Coast factory team, riding one of these, SS, at Stewart today.

Mercifully, he raced with the pros. And thankfully, he didn't lap me.:rolleyes:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
There was a guy in a full Trek kit, I'm assuming East Coast factory team, riding one of these, SS, at Stewart today.

Mercifully, he raced with the pros. And thankfully, he didn't lap me.:rolleyes:

Your new tires didn't put you into the pro ranks??

Spylab

I dunno, regardless of price it seems like a mashup of all the wrong ideas, not suited to any type of riding:

DH/FR:
+ Hey look, a dual crown fork!
+ Well looky there, hydraulic brakes; that's good.
- Hard tail.
- 29 inch tire, definitely no fun on a sport that feeds on flat tires.

Dirtjumping:
+ Single speed is all I need!
+ Hard tail to prevent rebound bucking
- Dual crown fork. No X-ups for you!
- 29 inch tire.

XC/AM:
+ 29 inch tire.
+ Hardtail means no pedal bob.
- Dual crown fork. What is the point?
- Single speed (for the sane among us). Have you seen some of the hills around here?!

Just an overall weirdo bicycle.

Top Bottom