Trek 4300 upgrades

rojasj

Well, my plans to upgrade to either a higher end hard tail or full suspension bike are now on hold for at least the foreseeable future as more important stuff has to come first. As a result all I can do is slowly upgrade my 2004 Trek 4300. The first thing I'd like to get rid of is the OEM stem and handle bars. Honestly, I hate the way the stem makes the bike look and I sometimes feel that the 25 degree rise makes the bike handle a little slower than it can. I realize that most stems out there are 31.8mm so I know I'll also have to get a new handle bar.

What I'm trying to achieve is more responsive steering and a more aesthetically pleasing look to the stem rise rather than the beach cruiser look that the 4300 currently has. I also feel that at times the stem is just a tad to long so I was thinking about going with a length of about 60 or 70mm.

The current stem length is 90mm and the rise is 25. The handle bar width is 600mm which fits me well as I'm only 5'4". Can someone recommend a reliable stem / handle bar combo that will be suitable for trail rides and also achieve a quicker steering response? I can't go gaga crazy on the money so I'll have to stick with aluminum for the materials and budget about $150.00

Mr.Moto

Yeah, there are a few other things you can spend that money on which will likely provide an improved ride. I had dumpster dived the same bike for my daughter. Stripped it down to the frame and completely rebuilt and repainted it for her. Most of the Bontrager components were pretty heavy but they can be changed out as you need. The fork was a tank so that is where I would start. I would think there are plenty of decent 26" forks for under $100 these days. Then look at maybe disc wheels and disc brakes if you want to keep if for a while. (Yes you can convert that frame to disc)

Last edited:

rojasj

Yeah, there are a few other things you can spend that money on which will likely provide an improved ride. I had dumpster dived the same bike for my daughter. Stripped it down to the frame and completely rebuilt and repainted it for her. Most of the Bontrager components where pretty heavy but they can be changed out as you need. The fork was a tank so that is where I would start. I would think there are plenty of decent 26" forks for under $100 these days. Then look at maybe disc wheels and disc brakes if you want to keep if for a while. (Yes you can convert that frame to disc)

Yup, the forks are next and then come the wheels and disk brake conversion.

qclabrat

upgraded fork and wheels will blow your $150 budget
having upgraded about ten 26rs in the last few years, it's not a smart ROI in my opinion.

at the end of day, you're better off saving the money for the 29r or 27.5r you wanted
just fix what's mechanically broken or bothers you like the stem.

I've seen some guys still riding bikes like yours on the trails do just fine. It won't be till you start going north where you'll need some more travel and better modulating brakes.
good luck with the build, I may also have some parts to donate if you still need something.

Top Bottom