Treadmills, where to start? Looking to buy.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
I have had a few treadmills and the two things I know to be true are 1. things break and 2. these things are often not cheap to fix. I have had luck buying a "grandma special" two times for around 300 and would do it again. Craigslist, facebook marketplace etc. When the board or something else major goes, I kick it to the curb without anger knowing I got my money's worth. First one I got lasted 7 or 8 years and that's ROI for you. I honestly can't fathom spending thousands on one.
I’d like to throw my .02$ in on this from my pre purchase research. On newer models with WiFi and tv screens on the dash repairs can very quickly become very expensive, and could equal or exceed what you’ve paid for a used model. And those failures seemed to be not uncommon. That is what led to my spending being biased towards better machine but lower spec’ed. Mechanically otoh, they can be pretty reasonable. My incline stopped working two weeks after purchase. Most to least common causes - limit switch (~$15), incline motor (~$60), and control board (~$150). I bought a $2k treadmill for $180, so even if all 3 were bad I was still way ahead. When I took the motor cover off to diagnose, I found that the incline motor had a worm gear with a heat sink and fan. Well, it had string spooled all around it. Seems that the edge of the running belt had frayed and got tangled in it. Pulled it all out and the fan starts to spin. Incline fixed = free. Been going strong for two years now.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I’d like to throw my .02$ in on this from my pre purchase research. On newer models with WiFi and tv screens on the dash repairs can very quickly become very expensive, and could equal or exceed what you’ve paid for a used model. And those failures seemed to be not uncommon. That is what led to my spending being biased towards better machine but lower spec’ed. Mechanically otoh, they can be pretty reasonable. My incline stopped working two weeks after purchase. Most to least common causes - limit switch (~$15), incline motor (~$60), and control board (~$150). I bought a $2k treadmill for $180, so even if all 3 were bad I was still way ahead. When I took the motor cover off to diagnose, I found that the incline motor had a worm gear with a heat sink and fan. Well, it had string spooled all around it. Seems that the edge of the running belt had frayed and got tangled in it. Pulled it all out and the fan starts to spin. Incline fixed = free. Been going strong for two years now.
What are some reputable used models?

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Sole and Landice seem to be well reviewed. The Nordic Trak commercial models (which is what I bought) are are also rated well, while their home line is just ok. Google “most reliable treadmill brands” and least reliable brands and then hit CL/fb marketplace/OfferUp and see what ya find. Good luck hunting.

THATmanMANNY

Turnt up!!! Was super convenient today to jump on n go
DE4522D5-A8AC-4135-B19C-E71ACC747B16.jpeg

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
@Dave Taylor if you haven’t bought a treadmill yet I found you a great deal at the Dover ReStore. They have 5 Precor gfx treadmills in great shape. Sorry I don’t have the model number. I thought GFX was the model. Anyway, I just looked them up and they rate and review very well. They are $75 each :eek:. Buy two and have a spare. I might have to grab one myself.

Attachments

• 875AE6AA-B198-4730-AE79-77F6E9D759C0.jpeg
    875AE6AA-B198-4730-AE79-77F6E9D759C0.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 47
  • D4658766-924A-4DC6-B8A0-9C74862280A4.jpeg
    D4658766-924A-4DC6-B8A0-9C74862280A4.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom