Treadmills, where to start? Looking to buy.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I want to buy a treadmill for my house. I would like for it to potentially be a smart treadmill as I want to do some speed work on running. I currently use running as cross training and to mix it up.

In reality I want one so I can do more and more of my workouts at home(happy wife is a happy life). As you know I do a decent amount of volume and any time I can save on commuting/signin/changing time is more time spent with the family.

Things I am looking for. Quality, used is ok, new is ok, but a treadmill that slips when doing speed work is not. My budget is $0-3000. I think it may be neat to try virtual running as well, hence this being a smart trainer potentially.

qclabrat

We have an older Precor with their floating GFX base. Makes a huge difference for my flat feet. Was expensive over ten years ago but now over 5k. So look for used, they aren't the commercial versions so hours are usually lower

THATmanMANNY

I can sell you one or my father in law. We have the same make. Both were a few k. Infrequently used. The make escapes me but good stuff.

Bought from REPs in bridgewater.

UPDATE: Pacemaster is the brand. Unfortunately, they are out of biz but they were local in PA and the things is sturdy as hell! I think I have the platinum or gold?

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Pacemaster is the brand. Unfortunately, they are out of biz but they were local in PA and the things is sturdy as hell!
Mrs. G and I (really just Mrs. G, since I've never used it...) also have a Pacemaster, and it's been super-solid for many years.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
I also agree with buying used. It’s just an item that very often gets purchased and seldom used, and they take up lots of space so people unload them cheap. Some tips - they’re heavy so definitely need a truck a a couple friends to move. When I found mine I googled the model and found out how to disassemble it. There’s generally just a wire harness and a couple bolts holding the uprights and dashboard in place. This made it much easier to move but the base will still be very heavy. My budget was not high, so I chose to buy a better brand, but a lower model with less bells and whistles. While I prefer to run outside, running on a treadmill is way better then cycling with the bike locked in place in a trainer to a cyclist.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
A full suspension bike and now realizing you use a treadmill? This is too much to handle in a year.
As I said, the treadmill is Mrs. G's. I've literally never stepped foot on it. I'm guilty as charged on the FS, though. Craziest bike purchase of my life, at least so far...
In before he says he has a Kickr and a Bowflex too.
Funnily enough, we're going into our 3rd winter with a Kickr. A purchase also driven by Mrs. G, and ignored by myself for one winter. I did use it toward the end of last winter, when Jeff Mandell sent me a free month of Trainerroad, which I quite liked. No Bowflex, though. Just a boring set of ancient free weights and pedestrian bench.

Any other illusions I can shatter for you fellas?

Back to DT's original topic of running. As a soccer player for a few decades before all this bike stuff took over, I was a runner year-round, but I've always hated treadmills. One of the things I appreciate about running is that I can enjoy doing it outdoors in atrocious weather. During the last winter that I ran with any seriousness (1997-98), I was doing my long runs on the Long Branch boardwalk in the dead of winter, in weather I'd be hard-pressed to enjoy on a bike.

But I totally get the appeal of getting on the treadmill and getting the job done with minimal wasted time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As I said, the treadmill is Mrs. G's. I've literally never stepped foot on it. I'm guilty as charged on the FS, though. Craziest bike purchase of my life, at least so far...
giphy.gif

Runners seem to be a tough breed. In my early morning riding, I often see the same (while few) people year around. The riders I see drop off somewhere in Oct/Nov and return in Mar/April, where runners never seem to stop. I come from a family of runners, maybe the outside all year is in my blood.

Last edited:

Joe J

We have a Landice that is at least 20yrs old that my wife uses 2-3 times a week for 1-1.5 hrs at a clip. I have no idea if they are still the same quality but if this one has been great.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I like the looks of the AirRunner. This purchase would solely be for the benefit of time. Three kids at home makes every minute count. If I can wake up and be running in my garage in 5 minutes that would be awesome.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I have had a few treadmills and the two things I know to be true are 1. things break and 2. these things are often not cheap to fix. I have had luck buying a "grandma special" two times for around 300 and would do it again. Craigslist, facebook marketplace etc. When the board or something else major goes, I kick it to the curb without anger knowing I got my money's worth. First one I got lasted 7 or 8 years and that's ROI for you. I honestly can't fathom spending thousands on one.

Top Bottom