Trans-Sylvania Epic 2016

JDurk

Put this here in Rides, Races and Events since not planning to Blog.

#TSEpic #EastCoastRocks #SingleTrackSummerCamp

Figured I’d write about my experience for anyone thinking about attempting a stage race. I did this event last week, racing from Monday, 5/30 through Friday, 6/3.

I talked a fellow team member into joining me for the week and we both registered in the new for 2016, Clydesdale class. There was 4 registered for the class and I knew 2 of 3. Been a MASS series XC racer for a few years and last year completed a few endurance events. This year decided to step outside my comfort zone and try a stage race. Now in its 7th year, was always 7 stages of racing, this year’s edition was 5. Put on by Mike Kuhn (@kuhndog ) and the group at The Outdoor Experience Organization, they also organize the IIGO team relay, Rattling Epic and Iron Cross to name a few, you know it’s going to be a 1st class event.

Race headquarters is the Seven Mountain Boy Scout camp near State College, PA. Lodging was by choice of tent camping, RV, scout lodges, nearby campgrounds and hotels. Food trucks were on site for breakfast and dinner. We opted to tent camp and arrived on Sunday, 5/29 to setup in the field with other campers. Sunday evening included Stage 0, a racer meeting /summer camp games. Feats of strength, balance, human foozball, and pin the tail on the “Dicky” to recognize class leaders.

Each stage featured plenty of mileage, climbing and timed enduros stages within the overall time. Stage 3 was an exception as rides between each enduro were ride at your own pace and not included in the overall time. Many of the trails throughout the week are used for Wilderness 101 and Rothrock Trailmix.

Stage 1 was traditionally a “road”-style stage, but far from it. Neutral start in camp, plenty of road, but lots of climbing, and it was hot. The pace was quick from the beginning. ST was not too tight as most trails were used for moto as well. Finish was not far from camp at the Seven Mountain Conservation Corp, however they failed to tell us it was a 4mile ride back to camp. https://www.strava.com/activities/593234320

Stage 2 started across Rt 322 in the Seven Mountain Camp ground. Neutral start again as we rode from camp, 150+ racers crossing the highway together. Expected to re-group on the other side, however, at some point, lead-out rider said go. Today’s stage included plenty of rocks, climbing and Tussey Ridge. Unfortunately I was part of a group of 7 that missed a course arrow and spent an extra hour climbing up and over Broad Mountain on rocky hiking trails. By the time we were back on course, the sweepers had already pulled down course markers. Luckily one person had cell service, called the promoter and sent the sweeper to get us on our way. Put us all down 1 hour, but still managed to complete the stage. https://www.strava.com/activities/594300703

Stage 3 had a remote start, so we were transported into State College to start and finish at Home D Pizzeria. Road rollout to the trails, ride to the top, rip it down. Repeat 5 times. Ride back to town for pizza and beer. https://www.strava.com/activities/595464564

Stage 4 was another remote start and finish in R.B. Winter State Park. Very primitive ST, lots of rocks and a brutal road climb at the start. There was a chance of rain late in the afternoon and was hoping to be done before that. However, the rain showed up early and came down in buckets. Felt like I was riding in a flowing stream for most of the middle of the ride. Finished up and bus took us to Elk Creek Café for 1 free beer and apps for a few hours before heading back to camp. https://www.strava.com/activities/596536959

Stage 5 was another remote start in Greenwood Furnace State Park. All racers and bikes were bussed to the location and it was raining the entire bus trip. It stopped just in time for the start and the sun might have appeared. Today’s stage included the most climbing at 5400’, 1400’ in the first 6 miles. A never before included “chute” was added as an enduro segment. We were warned that it was steep. Steep wasn’t the word, I walked it. Feeling like it was Groundhog Day, the deluge of rain hit again almost exactly like the day before, luckily after the steepness. Then the sun reappeared and it turned into a humid, wet rain forest. Rocky trails were treacherous. Finished with a notorious W101 climb up Stillhouse Hollow to head back for the finish in camp. https://www.strava.com/activities/597464528

After stage awards and GC awards, Stage 8 happened. Music, beverages, ice cream truck and fun.

Race photos: http://www.firespirephotography.com/the-2016-trans-sylvania-epic/

Race highlights from each day with some cool soundtracks. Stage 3 and 5 videos are the most entertaining.

I finished 2nd and my teammate finished 1st in the Clyde class for the week. The other 2 had mechanicals during Stage 5 and DNF’d for the day. So I’ll take the placing. I survived with a few bruises, 1 broken spoke which the Stan’s No-tubes van on site repaired and met some new friends. I met racers from Panama, Spain, New Zealand, Canada and various locations throughout the US.

Registration is already open for next year. Anyone else want to go to summer camp in 2017?
p1980420189-o727057973-5.jpg

Last edited:

Mumonkan

nice! i came upon this a couple yrs ago and its always been on my mind, im pretty sure this is gonna be my "A race" next year going into a legit training plan this sept

it just looks awesome, lots of hard stuff, lots of fun stuff, and everyone just out there loving life having a great time. looks right up my alley

any hindsight advice?

JDurk

My nutrition, hydration, and sticking to a HR zone worked. Well HR zone went out the door on day 1 due to excitement. Probably should have had more riding time on rocks and bigger hills, not much down here in SJ except crossing over to Wiss in Philly.

But I'm 99.99% sure I'll be there again next year.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Bummer on getting lost, I've learned that if I can pull a GPX file for these remote races, I'm going to load them up. Nothing worse than getting off course.

One day I will be at this...

JDurk

Bummer on getting lost, I've learned that if I can pull a GPX file for these remote races, I'm going to load them up. Nothing worse than getting off course.

One day I will be at this...

Followed the 3 riders ahead of me, and 3 followed me. For reference, look at Stage 2 Strava and see where it goes straight up and straight down at 6.6 miles.

You've completed the W101, so it would look very familiar to you, just not all in 1 day.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I was following your progress all week, @JDurk ! Just finishing TSEpic this year was huge. Pretty crazy weather you all dealt with! Great job!

Mumonkan

yeah thats probably gonna happen on the next bike, most of the vids i watched with tech just screamed dropper post

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
did the SSers roll around @Shoogs style on the last day? i know with monte and matt green they were actually racing...

JDurk

I'm pretty sure except for Dicky, everyone else was still racing.

This was after Stage 3:

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ha yeah i watched that one, i don't drink but would have rolled around doing mountain dew keg stands

jackx

@JDurk Great detail in your recap. Also great to have all the Strava links and videos. Great job finishing and doing so well in a 5 day stage race!

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I've been thinking about this race for 7 years since he started it. @kuhndog was a guest coach at an mtb camp I was attending years ago, and he busts my stones every year at the Marysville Relay. I believe that stars are aligning for me and another fellow board/team members to finally punch our tickets for next year...

JDurk

So I've been thinking about this race for 7 years since he started it. @kuhndog was a guest coach at an mtb camp I was attending years ago, and he busts my stones every year at the Marysville Relay. I believe that stars are aligning for me and another fellow board/team members to finally punch our tickets for next year...
DO IT!

Top Bottom