Training/Riding Nutrition for Vegetarians

I've been vegetarian for about 11 years and vegan for 7 of those. I've done well with fairly low amounts of protein. Straight forward veggie stuff like soy milk, veggie "meats", cheese, peanuts, beans, tofu, etc, etc, etc...On important days, like race days or hard training days, I'll have a Met-RX bar and make sure I hit some recovery drink, it doesn't take much. I'm sure I get more protein than most carnivores:rolleyes:

-Jim.

Any suggestion on vitamins? I have a cold now and has a sinus infection in the fall and I can't help but think I am lacking on some vitamins....

zinc lozenges. I think the emergen-c type vitamin supplements are the wave rite now, they easily assimilate into your system without overdosing you to the point that your pee glows. If you werent a veg, various beef, chicken, boullian broths are good.

I been taking a veggie multi-vitamin from NatureMade. It's called "Vegetarian Multivitamin" go figure!! It's got a billion percent of everything you could ever need, and like VDBTR said, your pee will glow in the dark:D Through the cold months I hit Emergen-C like it's going outta style. I have 2 little boys and my wife is a teacher so I'm surprised I haven't died of the flu by now. As we speak, both of my boys are home with a stomach virus and so far I've been good. So far...

-Jim.

I got some gelatin free multi's from bj's with a bunch of good stuff including iron. Didn't really make it into a huge research mission, just went to a couple stores and picked these.

I was going to start a new thread on this subject...

I've phased meat out of my diet over the past six months or so. Not really as part of any grand design, just "because"...

I spent the Summer feeling fairly strong: In an all around fitness sense. I'd ride my bike, do some running, some pull ups and some dips etc.

Today I got up early and did a few loops of Allaire before the rain rolled in. When I got to work I went to do a couple of sets of pull ups / dips and just felt like poop. I had no strength and felt very flat. Granted, I missed breakfast but I wasn't really putting out on the Allaire ride.

I've been getting my protein from incidental sources; beans, dairy and the odd store bought shake (MM / EAS etc). After a good read through of this thread I've decided to be a bit more mindful of my protein intake and to buy a decent whey powder today. This is all stuff I knew deep down, but it took feeling deflated at a pull up bar to drive it home this morning.

Ok
I am going to be unpopular with the vegetarian crowd but I just have to ask why?

Why eliminate a food group from your diet? Part of our evolutionary process as humans was the incorporation of meat into our diet. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_humans_omnivores_or_herbivores

To me vegetarians want to make a social statment...I'm different. And for those folks who really want to be out there then go vegan.

I am of the opinion that eating meat is a good thing. A well rounded diet eliminates all the need for the $upplement crap. Its soooo simple, just follow the food pyramid you learned in 3rd grade.
I blame Al for starting this thread up again:D

food_pyramid.gif

Ok
Why eliminate a food group from your diet? Part of our evolutionary process as humans was the incorporation of meat into our diet.

It is a question for another thread. But if you want to take the evolutionary process direction; Wouldn't it be part of the process for people uninterested in eating animals (for whatever reason) to find a way to maintain a balanced diet though other sources?

I started this thread for advice on what to eat, not why one is vegetarian.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat a lot of meat by any means. I have to stretch pretty far to get the numbers on a daily basis. Without the whey powder I'd never make it. Some days I need to do a double scoop at the end of the day to make what I'm aiming for. I know they say you can get it from natural sources, but I disagree if you're really hammering and at the top end of the range needed (or at least what I perceive that I need).

The alternative is to follow the Simpson's Food Chain:

Simpsons_Food_Chain_by_SpacePlatypus.jpg

Why not go with the Whey shake 3 times a day? Those things are so quick, cheap and easy that if you've got the discipline to be following some sort of training diet, they seem like a no brainer.

Why not go with the Whey shake 3 times a day? Those things are so quick, cheap and easy that if you've got the discipline to be following some sort of training diet, they seem like a no brainer.

Not sure who you're asking. But if it's me, I'd prefer to do it as "naturally" as I can before I go to the whey powder. I do often get whey in the morning in 2 different forms. First would be the recovery drink after hard rides. Second would be when I sometimes add it to my oatmeal. At night I add a scoop to my cereal. I don't always do the morning dose, but I almost always do the night one.

I tried to go the whey route a few times, and its tought to get down after a while. Natural food is the way to do it if you can. Yogurt, Tofu, etc... expensive though..

I tried to go the whey route a few times, and its tought to get down after a while. Natural food is the way to do it if you can. Yogurt, Tofu, etc... expensive though..

You gotta buy the chocolate one from Target. It's actually pretty good. I have had some whey powders make me feel strange, almost light-headed.

You gotta buy the chocolate one from Target. It's actually pretty good. I have had some whey powders make me feel strange, almost light-headed.

Is it lactose free? Otherwise its trouble

Chocolate what? Whey?

I'm in for some wild salmon tonight, happy days. Though in typical fashion I'm leaving work starving, after getting caught up in some shenanigans. The weight lifter sorts at work carry food on them at all times. I make fun of them until days like this.

Not sure who you're asking. But if it's me, I'd prefer to do it as "naturally" as I can before I go to the whey powder. I do often get whey in the morning in 2 different forms. First would be the recovery drink after hard rides. Second would be when I sometimes add it to my oatmeal. At night I add a scoop to my cereal. I don't always do the morning dose, but I almost always do the night one.

9 times out of 10 if you're involved in a thread and I ask a question without quoting, then its directed at you. Keep that in mind. ;)

Since you appear to be the brain on all these topics, what Red Dawn generation movie had a character named Brain? Tic toc tic toc.

To me vegetarians want to make a social statment...I'm different. And for those folks who really want to be out there then go vegan.

This may have just bumped GT Luke's Lefty statement out of the "dumbest thing I've ever read on MTBNJ" top spot. By far. Super dumb. Dumber than dumb. But I guess that's to be expected from a guy with poo in his screen name;)

-Jim.

Pure Protein, Frosted Chocolate, available at Target. They also have Cookies & Cream. Both of them work well for me. I like to eat them with cereal though because something solid in my stomach fills me up more in the long-term.

I doubt it's lactose free? Why trouble? Because of the result that might come out the other end?

I had to IMDB the Brain character. So I'll let someone else try and answer that.

Back
Top Bottom