training gear?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm thinking of dropping a 18T or 19T rear into the mary for the next month and a 1/2 to help me get stronger for the LMC...and then jump back to the 20T for the race. does this make sense? pros/cons? thanks.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some people do this instead of using heavier wheels to train with (or lighter wheels to race with). I have no experience but it's not a totally silly idea, I'll say that. OTOH, in general it's best to minimize the differences between training and racing.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
i'm thinking of dropping a 18T or 19T rear into the mary for the next month and a 1/2 to help me get stronger for the LMC...and then jump back to the 20T for the race. does this make sense? pros/cons? thanks.
A two-tooth jump on the rear is pretty big. If you're running a 32 on the front now, you may want to consider a 33 as your "training gear". One tooth on the front is like 1/2 a tooth on the back.

Though you may find that you like the slightly bigger gear enough to just keep it.:hmmm:

Maurice

If you can push a 19 or even 18, why would you go back to 20 to race? If anything you'll tend to push harder. Spinning out during a race is not fun. IMO it's usually a good idea to race what you're used to, any variation either way (too tall or not enough) will throw you off mentally and physically.

If what you want is get stronger, just ride more ;) Power does not necessarily come from pushing a bigger gear.

Maurice

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
it's just a theory i was kicking around. i'm certainly not spinning out the 20T but i figured if i could roll around for a month or so with an 18T or 19T, it would condition my legs and i would be able to conserve power, push harder and still stay within myself. i guess that's totally off base?

Maurice

it's just a theory i was kicking around. i'm certainly not spinning out the 20T but i figured if i could roll around for a month or so with an 18T or 19T, it would condition my legs and i would be able to conserve power, push harder and still stay within myself. i guess that's totally off base?

No, not off base. But I'm speaking from experience (so YMMV but...) because I've tried that. I found what really worked best was to ride a gear I was used to.

There are no cheap tricks unfortunately...

Maurice

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
No, not off base. But I'm speaking from experience (so YMMV but...) because I've tried that. I found what really worked best was to ride a gear I was used to.

There are no cheap tricks unfortunately...

Maurice

i'm definitely not looking for a cheap trick. it just made sense in terms of wiring my body to let it know it had more in it. same mentality i have for 30 mile rides now that i've done 40+ (basically, "the well sh!t, i could almost clear that with the 18T so with the 20T it'll be a breeze!" mentality).

then again, i guess i could just try to ride more. :D

oh, and norm, dope is whack. crack is whacker. and i can't stand a cracka' in a blue uniform.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's the spirit, man! Plus it's more fun than tinkering with dirty cogs and chain links. And a chain that snaps on race day is a lot more costly...

Good luck!

Maurice

once again you not only inspire, but educate. you're like a mountain biking yoda.

Top Bottom