Trainers

Shaggz

A strong 7
My annual question, but I'm really going to buy one this year - honest!

Which brand/model are you using? Likes and dislikes (other than training in the winter sucks).

Thanks!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The performance fluid one. It's like $170 or so. I like it. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I see 2 problems with that trainer:

1. It's not fluid resistance
2. That's a lot of extra wear on your rims

S

Stan LeCupp

1upusa

I purchased this trainer last year and returned it because I decided indoor trainers was not for me. The trainer is very quiet, very well built and has plenty of resistance that increases as you pedal harder. I would absolutely buy this again if I was to get a trainer. Also customer service is top notch, if you don't like it 1upusa will give you a full refund no questions asked and pay for return shipping. It costs $299 including shipping.

http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, 1up gets mad props from a lot of people. But the bread can go towards a lot of...well, bread.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
My experience with rim drive trainers has been that they don't work if you intend to do any serious hard efforts (which is really what trainers are for, IMO). The wheel will slip.

I'm on my second CycleOps fluid trainer. I killed the first one after several years of very hard winter use (as in, there was a palpable groove in the steel spindle from my tire when the fluid unit went kerblooey).

If fluid is out of your $ range, consider a wind unit. Noisey as hell, but offers the vital progressive resistance. Mag units have linear resistance; not cool for high-watt intervals.

Shaggz

A strong 7
besides a gps, is there anything else i need to purchase with the trainer - cyclometer, hr monitor, block (whatever that is)?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ironic you should post this, as I just saw this posted on another site:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/251451681.html

Why would you need a GPS for a trainer?

I used spare wood that was laying around my basement for blocks, no real need to buy that.

Bike computer will help to make sure you're sticking at a certain pace.

You don't have an HRM?

heythorp

Ironic you should post this, as I just saw this posted on another site:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/251451681.html

1. Why would you need a GPS for a trainer?

2. I used spare wood that was laying around my basement for blocks, no real need to buy that.

3. Bike computer will help to make sure you're sticking at a certain pace.

4. You don't have an HRM?

1. you know how bad his garge is. DUH

2. phone book works well

3. have to make sure its one that connect to the rear wheel.

4. i believe, if i am right, he bought one off of steep and cheap at the beginining of this year

Shaggz

A strong 7
i bought the one from steep and cheap, but it is not a continuous monitor. would it be more advantageous to get one with that chest strap thingee? plus i just bought meg a new laptop for christmas, and figured i could make some graphs withy the data - you can never have too many graphs...

Shaggz

A strong 7
does the block just keep the front wheel in place, or is it used to change the height of the front wheel, or both?

heythorp

does the block just keep the front wheel in place, or is it used to change the height of the front wheel, or both?

it is to raise the bike so that the bike is level, they put "ridges" in the block to hold the wheel, but like i said a phone book works fine , as well as othe rthings that are thick enough

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My bike computer is a "normal" one, so you don't exactly need a rear wheel specific one. But it was a PITA to get lined up right.

As far as the HRM goes, well more info won't hurt. In general though, you've probably been able to figure out my stance on HR training from other posts. What you will see from graphs is that a constant speed your HR will drift. I wouldn't pony up for a real expensive.

Good call on the corrosion. Plus the shipping would probably be quite a bit.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Personally I go with '06 for 3 reasons. First it's cheaper, second it's a legit retailer not ebay, and third if they changed the model for '07 then you won't have to deal with any "growing pains". But I doubt it matters much.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i think the difference is a bigger fly wheel and a different (easier?) clamping mechanism. i'm trying to see if i can get a price match on the fleabay item, but i may go '06. not to confuse ths issue even more, is there a different one you guys would reccomend?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nah, I think Cyclops is fine. I would try to get a lifetime (or some) warranty though. If one of the merchants does not offer it, go with the other.

Top Bottom