Trainers

A

Ant

I have a cycleops magneto trainer I got for like $200. It's 1 step down from their fluid one. I like it. Good resistance and stable. But it's easier to just go to the gym and use their stationary bike.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
One more thing

besides a gps, is there anything else i need to purchase with the trainer - cyclometer, hr monitor, block (whatever that is)?
You need a fan. Unless you set the trainer up in an unheated garage, you're gonna sweat your ass off.

If you're doing HRM-related intervals, the fan becomes really important, because overheating will cause heart rate drift.

I use a box fan, the sort made to fit in a window opening. And that's with basement temps in the 60 degree range.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, you need a fan. You need 2 fans. I have 2 fans in my 60-ish degree basement and I still sweat balls. These fans are usually both on high and about 12 inches from my knees at the closest point.

I strongly advise against HR-based intervals. HR response lags by a moon's cycle. Do time based intervals in correlation to a given speed. JMO.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome dude, good deal.

Norm - HELP!!!! I am so over my head trying to figure out this training program.

Right now your main objective is to teach your body to ride 4 then 5 days a week. Don't worry about hammering and all that jazz. You don't want to overdo it then have a trainer/clothes hanger for the rest of the winter. You just need to put in some time at pace/tempo to get yourself used to the continuous stress of riding.

ArmyOfNone

Hopefully my gf will pick me up a trainer. I told her i REALLY want one. when i get it i am still confused on putting together a program as well. Does anyone have some training programs that worked really well for them? Getting myself to ride one more day that im used to is a good place to start. How much time do you typically spend on this thing?

Im lookin forward to getting one, just so i can still ride my bike. but the horror of not moving and staring at the same spot forever! O MY! :mad2:

Mayb winter will never come to nj! yea hope for that!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you need to give your girlfriend pole dance lessons in exchange and set up a stripper pole in front of the trainer. or a tv.

ArmyOfNone

As little as possible, but as much as you need.

Good luck.

By the sounds of that, training inside may quickly develop to be a not so favorite things to do. But i guess its a necessary evil. but it beats being a fat ass and sittin on the couch all winter long. O please dont let it snow!

ArmyOfNone

Happy or Sad

For xmas I recieved the cycleops fluid trainer. I guess now i have no excuses not to ride during this winter. However i dont know how i should feel. I am very happy that i got it as a gift, however saddened that i must subject myself to the tourture of riding in place!

I must say tho its pretty cool. It is pretty quiet and super smooth. a gift that will not go to waste.

now i have to develop some kinda strategy or plan for when im stuck inside. i have heard of people on rollers riding with one leg or no hands. can you do anything of fun on the trainer? or is it strictly a tourture device.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just ride. Plop it in front of a TV and you'll be fine. A few things I would suggest:

1. I repeat myself with this but make sure your bike fits properly.

2. Don't JRA when you're on the trainer. If you do then you're not really going to get as much out of it as you can.

3. Buy a fan or 2. This stuff has been mentioned before somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread?

4. I don't hate the trainer as much as I say I do. It's something that gets me from point A to point B. If I hated it I would probably run instead. Now running, I do hate.

ArmyOfNone

earlier in this thread?

4. I don't hate the trainer as much as I say I do. It's something that gets me from point A to point B. If I hated it I would probably run instead. Now running, I do hate.

Now if i can get from one point to the next, riding this thing may have gotten a whole bunch better! :D :D :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
ok - i got the trainer put together, and am planning on setting up the bike tonight. the trainer came with quick release skewer. Is there any reason to use this one and not the one currently on the bike?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For my trainer the skewer they gave me was designed for the trainer.

Top Bottom