Trainer Workout: Descending Intervals

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
*Warmup
-15 minutes, progressively harder resistance (39x19,18,17,16 @ 3 min each, then alternate 53x16/39x16 30 sec each for last 3 min)
*Each set is 10 minutes total
-2 minutes, 53x19 work
-2 minutes, 39x19 recovery
-90 seconds, work
-90 seconds, recovery
-60 seconds, work
-60 seconds, recovery
-30 seconds, work
-30 seconds, recovery
*Recover 5 minutes, 39x19, keeping legs going around at med/high cadence
*Repeat 1 or 2 times, recovering 5 minutes between sets
*Cooldown
-10-15 minutes, reversing the warmup routine minus the big-ring element

*Entire workout is 55-65 minutes, including warmup and cooldown

*Most recently done with a 24" box fan and Neurosis "Times of Grace" both blasting in my face from 3 feet away. Currently doing 3 sets.

The goal of the workout is cadence and power. The work intervals ought to be done in a gear which allows a 90+ cadence ONLY if you push fairly hard. You should focus on maintaining smooth pedaling form and a quiet upper body. If you're rocking around on the bike, dial back the cadence until you smooth out. Hit the work intervals hard from the beginning; these are meant to train your ability to respond to changes in terrain/attacks by competitors.

Concentrate on sustaining the cadence for the duration of the interval; your legs ought to be loading up, though you shouldn't lose control of your breathing, at least until you're near the end of the interval. Staying focused on effort, form, and breathing will be key, and will keep away the dreaded "trainer boredom" many have written of here.

Be sure to stay hydrated throughout and use a fan to avoid melting into a puddle. Music is a key element of motivation for me when doing these.

If you want to take it to another level, practice visualizing closing a gap on another rider, or attacking a rise on a familiar trail. Helps in a variety of ways.

Last edited:

scalpel6

*Warmup
-15 minutes, progressively harder resistance (39x19,18,17,16 @ 3 min each, then alternate 53x16/39x16 30 sec each for last 3 min)
-2 minutes, 53x19 work
-90 seconds, work
-90 seconds, recovery
-60 seconds, work
-60 seconds, recovery
-30 seconds, work
-30 seconds, recovery
*Cooldown

*Most recently done with a 24" box fan and Neurosis "Times of Grace" both blasting in my face from 3 feet away. Currently doing 3 sets.

The goal of the workout is cadence and power. The work intervals ought to be done in a gear which allows a 90+ cadence ONLY if you push fairly hard. You should focus on maintaining smooth pedaling form and a quiet upper body. If you're rocking around on the bike, dial back the cadence until you smooth out. Hit the work intervals hard from the beginning; these are meant to train your ability to respond to changes in terrain/attacks by competitors.

Concentrate on sustaining the cadence for the duration of the interval; your legs ought to be loading up, though you shouldn't lose control of your breathing, at least until you're near the end of the interval. Staying focused on effort, form, and breathing will be key, and will keep away the dreaded "trainer boredom" many have written of here.

Be sure to stay hydrated throughout and use a fan to avoid melting into a puddle. Music is a key element of motivation for me when doing these.

If you want to take it to another level, practice visualizing closing a gap on another rider, or attacking a rise on a familiar trail. Helps in a variety of ways.

This is why the man is fast! :getsome:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Hey Chris,

Any recommended workout for someone who can barely spin for an hour at 13mph? My intervals so far, have been going up to "normal" (19mph) riding speed for less than a minute. Beyond that boredom sets in by 45 minutes & I can usually force out another 15 minutes with good music. My heart rate is totally screwed up do to medication & lack of exercise for 8 months

I did ride Chimney Rock last Sunday with Tony.:D Thankfuly I can still go downhill. Uphills were another story. Maybe Hartshorne this weekend.

Gary

J-Dro

I did ride Chimney Rock last Sunday with Tony.:D Thankfuly I can still go downhill. Uphills were another story. Maybe Hartshorne this weekend.

Gary

C'mon, sing it in your best Steven Tyler voice... "I'm back in the saddle again. I'm baaaaaack":D

ArmyOfNone

I tried it this evening and it was tough, but fun. On the work set i was one gear lower bc i couldnt keep the cadence, form and breathing all under control. On the second set i was around 85 rpms. I liked the descending factor. Whooped me up pretty good.

Please post more!:D :D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
*Warmup
-2 minutes, 53x19 work
-90 seconds, work
-90 seconds, recovery
-60 seconds, work
-60 seconds, recovery
-30 seconds, work
-30 seconds, recovery
*Cooldown

*Entire workout is 55-65 minutes, including warmup and cooldown

All this from the world's biggest bacon lover..

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Hey Chris,

Any recommended workout for someone who can barely spin for an hour at 13mph? My intervals so far, have been going up to "normal" (19mph) riding speed for less than a minute. Beyond that boredom sets in by 45 minutes & I can usually force out another 15 minutes with good music. My heart rate is totally screwed up do to medication & lack of exercise for 8 months

Gary

Good to see that you are pedalin!

It will come with time but getting the blood going to wash all that crap that hospitals put in ya has to be the best thing going.

The bike might be depressing since trainer riding is anything but fun.

I would do an hour twice a day on an elipitical at the gym as a start.

Best O' Luck

J-

ChrisG

On the work set i was one gear lower bc i couldnt keep the cadence, form and breathing all under control. On the second set i was around 85 rpms.
A good point raised here. I posted the gearing that currently works for me, but each individual should adjust the gearing to suit. This is meant to be a relatively high-rpm effort. If you find your cadence falling off, go to an easier gear, rather than bully it.

The next workout I post will give you plenty of opportunity for that.:D

ArmyOfNone

A good point raised here. I posted the gearing that currently works for me, but each individual should adjust the gearing to suit. This is meant to be a relatively high-rpm effort. If you find your cadence falling off, go to an easier gear, rather than bully it.

The next workout I post will give you plenty of opportunity for that.:D

cant wait!

PedalPaddles

I tried your descending workout. I didn't follow it exactly as I forgot the details by the time I walked out to the garage (20 feet). I started with 5minutes on 5 minutes off and descended in one minute increments then 15 second increments. I kept my cadence around 92 and backed off on the gears if my HR went above 85%. It was the most fun one can have on a trainer without a girl.

I drank from my Camelback that I prepared for the Allaire ride, so the Accelerade was nice and hot. Just what I needed on a trainer.

Hey Chris...thanks for lending me your Styx CD. You were right, Pieces of Eight rocks!

ArmyOfNone

did three sets today. felt much better than the first time. kept the cadence between 92-94 for the longer intervals and on the shorter ones was at about 97 or so. felt great the whole time. cant wait to pick up my hr montitor to see what my body is doing.

Bring on the hill workouts!

ChrisG

Wheeled this one out today, thought I'd bump it in light of cruddy riding conditions.

I followed the trainer workout with 30 minutes at 95+rpm on the rollers with the fixed gear. Ugh. It added up to a good 90 minute beatdown.

dhsean

I gotto take notes on these. Maybe one day I'll actually get a trainer so I can ride indoors when it is a mess. I went out this morning along River Road/Rutgers Campuses. Put in 3 1/2 (was going for 4) threshold thingys that Jim told me do before I got a flat. I was able to fill up with a CO2 and make it to the car because I couldn't feel my fingers to change the tube. I was happy to be out there and get in an 1 1/2 hours. Sometimes it is good just to get outside for your mental health.

Top Bottom