Trainer Questions

pjrohr

I don't have a cyclo or road bike, but want to train through the winter. I've got a Cannondale dualie and a SS, plus some older fully rigid hardtails, what should I train on?

1. Mag or fluid? And within each, can someone recommend a good budget brand?

2. What tire do you use when using a trainer?

3. Riser block necessary?

Thanks ahead for good input.

ArmyOfNone

You will just need to find a slick tire to throw on the rear. You should be good. Not ideal but it will work. many guys here have gone that route.

You can get a riser block if yould like or save some money, use a phone book or a block of wood.

Mag and Fluid trainers are the most smooth and quiet. They are also more expensive. There are cheaper options from cycleops and blackburn. Id reccomend those brands, however there are more out there.

This year Im getting me some rollers!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If all you have is a mtb bike, just ride throughout the winter outside and on the road if you can't get to the trails....it will be much more fun than the trainer and you ride on/over as you ride around...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1. Fluid. The Performance brand is budget, and they will replace it if it STB at any point. I sent mine back and went with a CycleOps.

2. The cheapest one I can get.

3. No, but you might be leaning forward on the bike to the point that it's too uncomfortable. I just use spare wood laying around the basement.

As for bike choice, whatever one you use least, IMO.

pjrohr

1. Fluid. The Performance brand is budget, and they will replace it if it STB at any point. I sent mine back and went with a CycleOps.

2. The cheapest one I can get.

3. No, but you might be leaning forward on the bike to the point that it's too uncomfortable. I just use spare wood laying around the basement.

As for bike choice, whatever one you use least, IMO.
Norm,

Curious, why do you say the bike that I use the least?

Top Bottom