trainer or rollers?

BiknBen

Start with a Trainer. It is more versatile. You can crank the resistance. You can stand out of the saddle. You are less likely to hurt yourself! :rolleyes:

Rollers have their place. Start with a trainer first though.

ArmyOfNone

Start with a Trainer. It is more versatile. You can crank the resistance. You can stand out of the saddle. You are less likely to hurt yourself! :rolleyes:

Rollers have their place. Start with a trainer first though.

Agreed. I like my rollers because I cant get out of the saddle and torture myself as much. But start with a trainer.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
trainers or rollers

Trainers are good for working your heart rate at various levels.
Rollers are good for perfecting spin technique and body posture on the bike. You can't really get your heart rate up that high on rollers, I like rollers for a recovery type ride or just to stay loose on off riding days.

ArmyOfNone

Trainers are good for working your heart rate at various levels.
Rollers are good for perfecting spin technique and body posture on the bike. You can't really get your heart rate up that high on rollers, I like rollers for a recovery type ride or just to stay loose on off riding days.

Not sure if i agree with this entire assessment. You can push yourself just as good. But you cant get up out of the saddle as you would on a trainer. High Rpm intervals are great on rollers.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure if i agree with this entire assessment. You can push yourself just as good. But you cant get up out of the saddle as you would on a trainer. High Rpm intervals are great on rollers.

My assessment was a generalization. You can push hard on rollers, however its not really what rollers are all about. Rollers allow for spinning at a high cadence offering no resistance. Its meant to teach you to keep your upper body still and develop a smooth peddle stroke.
If I want to use 85% of my heart rate I'm gettin on the trainer and crankin up the resistance. I am not saying you can't attempt this on rollers, but when pushing this hard I don't want to be concerned about flying off my rollers, I just want to push.:drooling:
Ok I'm done:D

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Son...

To add to the argument...

A) You can get the same exact resistance from both, you just need to buy a good set of rollers with a resistance unit on it.

B) Most guys I know like rollers BECAUSE when you stand and/or sprint you can actually tilt the bike side-to-side like in real life. If you can't stand while riding rollers, go back to a trainer, you'll be better off.

C) Rollers will keep you more motivated while sitting indoors. Just pedaling requires some effort/balance/concentration on your part, so you're less likely to fall asleep.

D) Rollers are a great way to practice wheelies and manuals indoors:D

E) Having ridden both, and gotten similar workouts on both, I still prefer a trainer, it's just easier and safer;)

-Jim.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
rollers are fun cause if your bike rolls off, you have a good chance of crashing into the tv

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
for you, I would have to say rollers, for the manualling and wheelies alone and it would be cool to see you use the uni on them

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i was leaning towards rollers, but now i gotta reconsider:hmmm:. i'm not too worried about "training" much, i just like having my legs going in circles.

hmm, with a trainer i could do homework while riding :cool:

scalpel6

Computrainer

If you have the money a Computrainer is the way to go. I believe it is much more effective then conventional trainers or rollers. You are able to train with both power and heart rate information which is nice. You also have the ability to select different courses to vary your training.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Niether, get out and ride

OH SNAP!! Bobke was like "Bitch, get out and ride your bike!!"

Bob you have an unfair advantage to us younger guys, you started riding before they invented the sun, so you've had time to adapt to the cold;)

-Jim.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I recently bought a cheap set of rollers to try out; my intent is "easy" recovery type stuff in the evenings. Getting to the point of not "crashing" on 'em has proven to be more of a challenge than I thought it would :cry:

ArmyOfNone

I recently bought a cheap set of rollers to try out; my intent is "easy" recovery type stuff in the evenings. Getting to the point of not "crashing" on 'em has proven to be more of a challenge than I thought it would :cry:

Your still having a tough time with them? Danger!

I say get the trainer first.

ArmyOfNone

"tougher than I thought" means I figured I could just hop on and go :D

I'm getting the hang of 'em...my problem is my sloppy pedaling form...

Ha I thought the same thing. My first time on rollers was with a bunch of rodies. They warned me of its difficulty. Boy was I a good source of entertainment!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I think you are supposed to start in a doorway. Mr pixy made a little platform on his to get me started. But, like Bob, I don't spend enough time indoors to ever get comfortable on them.

I thought mr pixy was good undressing on the rollers. Wait til he finds out Jim is doing wheelies on his. Can you get that on y-tube?

Attachments

• rollers.JPG
    rollers.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom