trainer or rollers?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Wow, Ellen, that is neat. Looks like you can ride right onto and off of the rollers with that setup.

MVMX

Roller wrecks!!!!!!!!

Well, I bought a set of rollers a couple of weeks ago, 3" with a mag resistance attachment.

I'm in a full sweat in 15 minutes just spinning the rollers,and I on can only last 40 minutes, then exhaustion and boredom take over into various wrecks. I can't even think of putting the mag belt on.

What tire pressures does every run? I'm down to 90psi and it took some of the darty feeling away, but my full attention is needed, then crash!

Just had the daily dismount living room crash, I suck at this so much that I'll need the 'I've fallen and I cant get up' buzzer. I'm going back to flat pedals for now.

I hoping this would help me with getting a smooth technique, but I just suck at bicycling. :(

Marty

bobkennelly

OH SNAP!! Bobke was like "Bitch, get out and ride your bike!!"

Bob you have an unfair advantage to us younger guys, you started riding before they invented the sun, so you've had time to adapt to the cold;)

-Jim.

So does that mean I am older than dirt?:D

Oh Jimbo you a funny guy, yes you are...

Hope to see you this weekend my man...

BOBKE

syadasti

Wet Rag
I can't remember if there are other companies doing it, but Performance makes newbie rollers with cones on the side so its much harder to ride off them (see below). On regular rollers If you do ride off the side you just stop, you don't go shooting forward (at least I never did when I was learning them). I was fortunate as my LBS told me to skip the trainers and it was a good recommendation.

As mentioned there are resistance options for rollers - mag, flywheels, wind, hydraulic, and also changing roller size changes things up.

Riding out the saddle is possible once you get use to rollers. Its easier with MTB wheel w/slicks vs. a road slick as the contact patch is larger.

The worse thing about trainers or rollers for me is getting a sore butt from a static seated position compared to a real ride were you'd be moving around more.

At Interbike this year there were a few new takes on rollers and trainers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaYDZ-RSOTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6spExLfn4vY

The newbie rollers I mentioned earlier:
40-3835-NCL-ANGLE.jpg

Last edited:

trener1

I have both...

For the kind of use that you mentioned I would totally recommend rollers, you can do a good job of keeping your HR at a nice pace and keep your legs going, they also make the time go by faster then a trainer because you have to pay some attention, so aren't looking at your watch every two minutes. it will also improve your spin which will help your climbing on steep technical climbs.

I have never tried those "beginner" rollers, but it seems that it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of rollers.

MVMX

Bargain torcher

Minoura mag roller, 4" alum. drums with a belt driven mag resistance.

Craigs list brand new $90. I think there are only a dozen rollers made and they just keep getting resold as the frustration and boredom level takes over.

The guy I got them from is the second owner, and they are brand new, my guess is people can't hang clothes on them like other equipment, so its offed.

trener1

I have not had a chance to ride these yet, so I can't say for sure.

However I think that you would miss out on some of the balance benefits with those bumpers.
Because on regular rollers, it really forces you to learn how to save your bike from wobbles and near misses which I think you wouldn't get with those.

Those cone ended rollers only would help stop you from riding off the end, I'm sure you'd still get core/balance benefits.

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
I am looking into trainer now,they even have a set up, that hooks to your PC.
Does anybody have one of theses, if so what do you think about it?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I would go with a smaller diameter drum. You can always shift down to make it easier. if you have larger diameter, you may spin out in a high gear and want/need more resistance.
On the other hand, I would argue that rollers are a tool for improving your pedaling ability, not for building resistance-based fitness, and the standard drums give you the smoother ride. When I want resistance, I get on my trainer.

The smaller drums will put increased wear on your tires as well. I've heard that the smallest Kreitlers are particular tire-eaters.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
On the other hand, I would argue that rollers are a tool for improving your pedaling ability, not for building resistance-based fitness, and the standard drums give you the smoother ride. When I want resistance, I get on my trainer.

The smaller drums will put increased wear on your tires as well. I've heard that the smallest Kreitlers are particular tire-eaters.

+1 i agree. I use rollers(larger diameter) as a recovery type training or to just stay loose and practice good form. I bust out the trainer for more cardio resistance, but the trainer gets old quick.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really want to try a set of rollers. I have a trainer and my god is it boring. I feel that I have TERRIBLE balance, so im hoping the fear of destroying my new 46" sony will help my coordination. :D

Top Bottom