Trails with flow???

dozer324

Hi, I’m new to the mtb scene in NJ as I’m just getting back into riding. I lived in Florida and use to ride Alafia and Santos, which were a lot of fun. I’m looking for locations that have more flow to them that if my wife wanted to come she would enjoy it as well. Rocky/tech terrain will not be enjoyable for her.

Also interested in some more flowy terrain that would be higher skill level as well for myself if I was to go riding without her. I was looking at Stevens and Mahlon Dickerson, I don’t mind some slower tech terrain to get to the faster flowy single track trails.

Thanks for any help!

roc

Stephens is a little less tech than Mahlon, I think deer park probably has the most flow around the north. Don’t know where you live, but six mile is all flow. Lewis Morris in Motown is kinda flowy. That’s all I got.

rick81721

Lothar
Part time Floridian here. Santos and Alafia are great parks, can't wait to get back down there in 3 weeks and hit those parks again this winter.

Around here: North jersey the only relatively non-tech flowy parks are Stephens, Dickerson mine, Lewis Morris. Central jersey - six mile run, nassau trails, Mercer county park, Hartshorne/Huber. South jersey - Allaire.

Xler8

Around here: Central jersey the only relatively non-tech flowy parks are Stephens, Dickerson mine, Lewis Morris, six mile run, nassau trails, Mercer county park. South jersey - Hartshorne/Huber, Allaire .

FTFY... :)

BTW welcome to the rock garden... plenty of flow with some rocks along the way.

If your bar is set at Santos and Alafia, then it’s pretty high because there very little to none of that in Jersey. The above mentioned is as close as you’ll get.

rick81721

Lothar
FTFY... :)

BTW welcome to the rock garden... plenty of flow with some rocks along the way.

If your bar is set at Santos and Alafia, then it’s pretty high because there very little to none of that in Jersey. The above mentioned is as close as you’ll get.

I forgot to add, if you are used to riding santos and alafia, beware. There are no parks in NJ that are mtb only, and none have oneway trails, so you need to expect hikers, runners and other riders coming around blind turns.

Last edited:

Xler8

I forgot to add, if you are used to riding santos and alafia, beware. There are no parks in NJ that are mtb only, and none have oneway trails, so you need to expect hikers, runners and other riders coming sround blind turns.

Ah yes very good points indeed :thumbsup:

And let’s not forget the horses.

goldsbar

In N NJ, generally parts of parks are flow. Stephens is flow in the popular area around the pink trail. It's absolutely not flow if you're climbing up from the park station on the west side; more like you'll be ready to die coming from Florida. Dickerson Mine is flow on the blue, yellow and parts of the white, certainly not orange. Mahlon has techy flow; the trails will be techy until you get the lines down, then they might seem more like flow (actually, it's a pretty rocky place). Don't go on Tiger's Blood or Black Magic, but there's a nice loop in that area that's flow. Lewis Morris should be flow, but the roots and occasional poor trail design make it a lower quality park IMHO.

White Clay, DE - now that's flow! But, it's in Delaware.

dozer324

Thanks for the responses. I don’t expect the terrain to be like Florida, but just trying to get an idea of how the terrain from the various parks in North Jersey compare to each other as there are some good options it seems.

Oz Von Toco

For North NJ flow I think Lewis Morris and Nassau trails are both awesome. Lew Mo definitely rides "faster" as it is less twisty. As others have said 6 mile run is all flow in central NJ. Allaire is flowy in south nj. I personally think Hartshorne flows pretty well in central NJ but there is certainly some climbing, about 1000 ish feet in 7 miles

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the responses. I don’t expect the terrain to be like Florida, but just trying to get an idea of how the terrain from the various parks in North Jersey compare to each other as there are some good options it seems.

It ain't in the nNJ, but if you have time for a two hour drive to the south...the mtb trails at Wharton State Forest got their design inspirations from Razorback, Santos, and that little corner of trails in between 91, 95, & 70 outside of Fort Pierce. Wharton is similar to the FL trails mentioned, but without the limestone quaries, grapefruit trees, and spanish moss. :)

FitmanNJ

Part time Floridian here. Santos and Alafia are great parks, can't wait to get back down there in 3 weeks and hit those parks again this winter.

Around here: North jersey the only relatively non-tech flowy parks are Stephens, Dickerson mine, Lewis Morris. Central jersey - six mile run, nassau trails, Mercer county park, Hartshorne/Huber. South jersey - Allaire.
This is a nice list, Rick. If I may, I'd add Clayton Park to the Central Jersey group.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After riding some west coast and even NC and VA to an extent, there’s no trails in NJ that I would consider “flow”.

That said there should be good number of non rocky things in NJ that are good to ride.

Off The Road Again

Probably late in to conversation....seems 'flow in NJ' is of question. Maybe 6 Mile or Nassau has 'flow'. Jersey's about rocks! Real mtb! Want flow - go to Raystown or Kingdom Trails, VT. Rest is all rocks and tech - the way it should be. IMO.

Off The Road Again

Another thought for north Jersey flow - Kittatinny (KVSP). There's some climbing (not counting Needle climb to fire tower), very few rocks, similar to Deer Park. And both parks have bears!

GreenMachine

Shame NJ doesn’t have one bike specific park / trail...

I rode Gurney lane upstate NY Lake George area this summer - no dogs - hikers - perfectly groomed and mantained - they have a Facebook page with updated trail conditions etc ...

Top Bottom