Trails behind Silvi Concrete plant

So I'm out there yesterday, just got on the trail and some old hippie couple told me mountain bikers aren't allowed on the trails behind the Silvi Concrete Plant. They said it's kinda like environmental wildlife preserve. They said no mountain biking allowed back there after April 15th. I've seen tons of bikers back there. Any info on this? No snarky answers. Just facts.

I think some of those trails are awesome. Of course there always has to be that person(s) that just can't leave u alone. I was riding slow, I saw them up ahead of me, I announced my approach. Still, they just had to say something. They weren't rude. Almost like the trails were only for them. And I am the most respectful to everyone on the trails. I'm sure I wont run into them again and it was just a fluke. It just irked me.

Johnny Utah

Of all the WMA’s in that area this one tends to be the least contested to cyclists, yet as it gets more popular and more trails get built up I am sure that will change. This area tends to be used the most by dog walkers who are looking to keep their dog off leash.

02camaro

i also have heard of alot of booby trapping in that area as well nails, tacks and other devices to kill tires. this was all since turkey hunting started so likely a disgruntled hunter. imo the trails over there arent worth sacrificing a tire. anything east of the gsp is WMA so stick to the hospital road side and brisbane parts.

i also have heard of alot of booby trapping in that area as well nails, tacks and other devices to kill tires. this was all since turkey hunting started so likely a disgruntled hunter. imo the trails over there arent worth sacrificing a tire. anything east of the gsp is WMA so stick to the hospital road side and brisbane parts.
Lots of briers I'll tell u that.

Rogers

As others have stated this is part of the WMA. No riding in WMA's except Sundays until June 1st. Most of the areas around Allaire and even in Allaire State Park itself have out of control illegal trail building and illegal riding. No one pays attention to the rules. I do understand some are just unaware of the rules. There has been a lot of booby traps back in the WMA because the hunters are pissed off at all the illegal trail building and biking activity. I'm not sure why they haven't gone to the park police yet to address the problem, maybe they have, but it is only a matter of time before this blows ups...whether someone gets hurt by a booby trap, a confrontation with a hunter or the NJ park police step up with enforcement. Or worse they shut everything down. No one knew about this area before Strava but now it's out of control.

The amount of illegal trail building in this area really bothers me because I saw what happened in the 90's when Allaire was almost shut down to mountain bikes. I know who the people are building the illegal trails and they just don't give a shit...they know it's illegal but they don't see anything wrong with it. I used to be heavily involved with ATUG and trail maintenance at Allaire and it's really hard to see what is happening here when you spent so much time maintaining existing trails and building new legal trails and what we needed to go thru to get permission and now the park turns a blind eye to what's going on. I'm all for new trails but done right...not a bunch of unsustainable hack jobs like what is happening now. I get it there are illegal trails everywhere but its just getting to the point here that its gonna cause problems eventually.

Side note dogs are allowed in the WMA off leash in designated areas for training and hunting. They stock the WMA's with pheasant and quail and people hunt them using dogs.

Last edited:

Rogers

I think some of those trails are awesome. Of course there always has to be that person(s) that just can't leave u alone. I was riding slow, I saw them up ahead of me, I announced my approach. Still, they just had to say something. They weren't rude. Almost like the trails were only for them. And I am the most respectful to everyone on the trails. I'm sure I wont run into them again and it was just a fluke. It just irked me.
You weren't suppose the be riding those trails now and they were politely letting you know.

02camaro

As others have stated this is part of the WMA. No riding in WMA's except Sundays until June 1st. Most of the areas around Allaire and even in Allaire State Park itself have out of control illegal trail building and illegal riding. No one pays attention to the rules. I do understand some are just unaware of the rules. There has been a lot of booby traps back in the WMA because the hunters are pissed off at all the illegal trail building and biking activity. I'm not sure why they haven't gone to the park police yet to address the problem, maybe they have, but it is only a matter of time before this blows ups...whether someone gets hurt by a booby trap, a confrontation with a hunter or the NJ park police step up with enforcement. Or worse they shut everything down. No one knew about this area before Strava but now it's out of control.

The amount of illegal trail building in this area really bothers me because I saw what happened in the 90's when Allaire was almost shut down to mountain bikes. I know who the people are building the illegal trails and they just don't give a shit...they know it's illegal. I used to be heavily involved with ATUG and trail maintenance at Allaire and it's really hard to see what is happening here when you spent so much time building new legal trails and what we needed to go thru to get permission and now the park turns a blind eye to what's going on. I'm all for new trails but done right...not a bunch of unsustainable hack jobs like what is happening now. I get it there are illegal trails everywhere but its just getting to the point here that its gonna cause problems eventually.

Side note dogs are allowed in the WMA off leash in designated areas for hunting. They stock the WMA's with pheasant and quail and people hunt them using dogs.
Yep. Hunters have a right to be angry they have a very very limited time frame and space to enjoy their hobby meanwhile we have allllllll year to do ours. Let them have their space and we can all live together peacefully. I try to tell people this but it's 2020 and everyone is born with an obscene sense of entitlement.

Rogers

I just want to add one more thing. When I was involved with ATUG I spoke to park representatives about the illegal trail building throughout Allaire proper and the surrounding WMA's because of my concern regarding mountain bikes loosing access. The answer I received was that park officials were fully aware of the illegal trail building but did not have the resources to manage it. Basically the NJ park police are spread too thin. There were debates about whether ATUG should police it and start shutting down these trails but we came to the conclusion at the time that it wasn't ATUG's responsibility to police the park and that we would focus on maintaining the existing legal trail network. We also reasoned that mountain bikers who were building and riding the illegal trails would just open them up again and it would just be a back and forth waste of time. The park attempted to shut down some of the newer at the time illegal trails with signs but the signs were just ripped down. It's only a few individuals building illegal trails but everyone rides them because they are on Strava now. Also most have no idea they are illegal and/or don't see any signs saying they are closed. It's a loosing battle without park officials stepping up to solve the problem. A lot of people may not see this as a problem...although I could debate a lot reasons why it is. I know no one cares what I have to say but it makes me feel better so...

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions