Trails along this drive (CLT > NJ)

So you're looking to do the drive in one day and just want to stop for a ride somewhere? You're not interested in breaking the drive into two days? Because if you would consider that, I'd say hit up the Shenandoah area. It'd probably be too far off the interstate to bother for a 1 or 2 hour ride. But if you crash in Harrisonburg right off the interstate, you could get a good ride in and then start your drive again in the morning. Of course, you'd have to get a hotel room, so not sure if you're looking to keep expenses low.

Looks like you go right by Six Mile Run. You should check it out.
maybe do that while im in nj fosho

So you're looking to do the drive in one day and just want to stop for a ride somewhere? You're not interested in breaking the drive into two days? Because if you would consider that, I'd say hit up the Shenandoah area. It'd probably be too far off the interstate to bother for a 1 or 2 hour ride. But if you crash in Harrisonburg right off the interstate, you could get a good ride in and then start your drive again in the morning. Of course, you'd have to get a hotel room, so not sure if you're looking to keep expenses low.
meh, thats too much breaking it up, trying to keep this on the cheap side, can do one ride when i drive up, one when i drive back mebe?
This is sort of a no-brainer.

Do this ride:

It's almost exactly the middle of the drive. Not far off 81.
i think just based on the name i have to check it out, can you give me a narration of the whole ride so i can understand what im getting into? the elevation profile looks fun

I would recommend massanutten as well. Also white clay/middle run is easy off the interstate.

Frederick watershed in MD, mt Penn in Reading PA, walking purchase/Salisbury in Bethlehem, PA

maybe do that while im in nj fosho

meh, thats too much breaking it up, trying to keep this on the cheap side, can do one ride when i drive up, one when i drive back mebe?

i think just based on the name i have to check it out, can you give me a narration of the whole ride so i can understand what im getting into? the elevation profile looks fun
There are some cheap hotels that are OK on the way.

The full drive with stopping for a ride in the middle kind of sucks. I'm not saying don't do it, but if you do it right you can do something like ride in Roanoke, check into a hotel near Harrisonburg, shower, dinner. Then the next day you can actually ride, shower, checkout and get into NJ with a healthy part of the day left.

Allows you to get in a longer ride without the stress that you're going to get to NJ at 1am with no stops.

western slope of massanutten in harrisonburg...seriously awesome trail system. and harrisonburg is a great little college town!

It's 2 loops. You park at the bottom and it ends up being the mid-point so you can take 1 bottle then come back and swap if you want. Basically both loops are: Go up, then down. First loop you go up then to that upper point on the map where you see the nub - small out & back which is really just a hike to an amazing lookout north. Here:

33674744_10156202848535993_1984818526237491200_n.jpg

Back to car then you go up a pretty steep climb but you get up faster. Then you get a good overlook of the resort where people can drive up to. But you biked there, so F those lazy people. We were up here:

33660749_10156202848255993_2394752779315838976_n.jpg

Then you go down this trail called 2000 Hours because it took them this long to collectively build. It is generally downhill to the car and it's GD awesome.

Massanutten is great. Would recommend 100%. You'll also be driving past Michaux when you come up 81 into PA, which is always a good time. If you're looking for a shorter (ish) ride, Swatara is fun also, not a ton of mileage but if looking for <2 hours would fit the bill...its about 15min off the I81/I78 intersection in PA east of Harrisburg...(not Harrisonburg VA)

Massanutten is great. Would recommend 100%. You'll also be driving past Michaux when you come up 81 into PA, which is always a good time. If you're looking for a shorter (ish) ride, Swatara is fun also, not a ton of mileage but if looking for <2 hours would fit the bill...its about 15min off the I81/I78 intersection in PA east of Harrisburg...(not Harrisonburg VA)

I think this is the 2nd time you have mentioned this place. I'll need to make sure I get here one day.

Back
Top Bottom