Trailforks showing a number of the Blauvelt Trails off limits

scott62

I didn't like that they started charging either but running a business, website, building an app, etc all costs money. I didn't hesitate at all to sign up because I decided it was worth $1.49/month to support them, and it comes in really handy if you ride new places often enough.
I use the rei site, it’s free. I avoid paying fees, that’s for people that want to stay poor. Sit down and total all the fees you pay annually, some people will be shocked if they do this.
As for e bikes being allowed in NJ …. E bikes = the couch wins:confused:

Cannonbill

if you have a link handy, please post. I am looking and only see that class one ebikes are allowed on bike paths. With respect to trail access, the dept of interior made the statements this year, I think we are all familiar with, which dictated the land manager had to declare motorized access for federal lands. I do not see anything / cannot find anything for ebikes on NJ state park lands.

the link would probably benefit from a thread of its own.

Edit: Could not find a NJstate page (404 errors on any link I hit), but found these. No trail access for ebikes. (I did not do the underlining, it’s the way the text in the document is presented)
  1. https://ebikesx.com/electric-bike-laws.php
  2. https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/S731/2018
2. (New section) a. A low-speed electric bicycle 1or low-speed electric scooter1, as defined in R.S.39:1-1, may be operated on the streets, highways, 1[sidewalks] roadways1, and bicycle paths of this State 1, except as otherwise provided in this section, and may be parked on a sidewalk provided that the low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter does not impede the normal movement of pedestrian or other traffic upon the sidewalk1.

b. 1On and after January 1, 2019, manufacturers and distributors of low-speed electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each low-speed electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the low-speed electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

c. A person shall not tamper with or modify a low-speed electric bicycle so as to change the motor-powered speed capability or engagement of a low-speed electric bicycle, unless that person appropriately replaces the label indicating the classification required in subsection b. of this section.

d. A low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter may be operated on bicycle paths, except that a local government entity or State agency may prohibit the operation of low-speed electric bicycles or low-speed electric scooters on bicycle paths under its jurisdiction.

e. Unless permitted by a local government entity or State agency with jurisdiction, a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter shall not be operated on a trail designated for non-motorized traffic if such trail has a natural surface tread made by clearing and grading the soil and no surfacing materials have been added.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you have a link handy, please post. I am looking and only see that class one bikes are allowed on bike paths. With respect to trail access, the dept of interior made the statements this year, I think we are all familiar with, which dictated the land manager had to declare motorized access for federal lands. I do not see anything / cannot find anything for bikes on NJ state park lands.

the link would probably benefit from a thread of its own.

Edit: Could not find a NJstate page (404 errors on any link I hit), but found this. No trail access for bikes. https://ebikesx.com/electric-bike-laws.php
@Jason

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
The amendment of R.S.39:1-1 is here: https://pub.njleg.gov/bills/2018/PL19/121_.PDF

Some excerpts:
“Low-speed electric bicycle” means a two or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts, that meets the requirements of one of the following classifications: "class 1 low-speed electric bicycle" which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour; or “class 2 low-speed electric bicycle'' which means a low-speed electric bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.

e. Unless permitted by a local government entity or State agency with jurisdiction, a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter shall not be operated on a trail designated for non-motorized traffic if such trail has a natural surface tread made by clearing and grading the soil and no surfacing materials have been added.

f. The operator of a low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter shall not be required to register the low-speed electric bicycle or low-speed electric scooter, furnish proof of insurance, or have a driver’s license.

g. Except as otherwise provided by this section, all statutes, including the provisions of chapter 4 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes, rules, and regulations applicable to bicycles, as
defined in section 1 of P.L.1991, c.465 (C.39:4-10.1), shall apply to low-speed electric bicycles and low-speed electric scooters, except those provisions which by their very nature may have no application to low-speed electric bicycles or low-speed electric scooters.

The key element of this amendment was the delineation between class I &II ebikes and motorized vehicles. It put the decision onto the land manager in the case of natural surface trails, but in most other cases equates class I/II ebikes with bicycles, removing any requirement to register, insure, license, etc.

I remain aggressively neutral on the subject because we have more pressing issues to address as a user group. Ebikes are not going away, and will eventually be largely indistinguishable from analog bikes. The last thing we need is further division in our ranks.

My suggestion is to let big-bicycle advocate for laws that support their future market shares in a huge growth segment of the industry while we continue to advocate for mtb as stakeholders with equal standing in the trail community, no matter what form of bicycle we choose to ride.

Top Bottom