Trail Team Blue Strikes on (National Trail Day + 1)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
A 6MR Tale

The idea germinated on Thursday.
Conditions were actually becoming dangerous on Blue, along the water before the steel bridge.
The idea turned into a plan on Friday.
We'd replace the failed bridge, and perhaps do something about the bombed-out mud pits.
I'm sure this was the oldest wooden bridge in the park.

1591577395887.png

@clarkenstein, @ClarkensteinJR, @jklett, and @Fidodie
met at Lowes on Sunday morning at 8:00, grabbed some lumber, and drove over to the South Middlebush crossing.
Materials were supplied by JORBA and private donations from the three families working on the project.

We rolled in some tools and carried in some boards. There was a good bit of lumber left to shuttle,
and that is when the magic happened. A couple of riders, and a couple of hikers offered to help
with the carry. This made a huge difference in the amount of time it took to complete the project.

Big Thank You!

The new line through the mud pit (it is actually a running stream) had become huge from the hikers and riders - widened to more than 20'.
We weren't prepared with that type of lumber, which would require a post in the mud, so we decided to
move the trail towards the stream, putting it on higher ground. There would still be a little down-up
for the bridge, but all good.

1591578210058.png

Gotta take a comedic break. We warned everyone that paused about the mud leading down into the pit.
It was deep, and the sides were slippery. Most followed our advice of carefully navigating the old bridge rail
using their bike to balance. The others? Well let's say the one that unsuccessfully attempted it without warning
didn't get any help. It was an entertaining scene! The other slip-sliders did get a bit of assistance, as they were
not confident in navigating the rail.

I'll also take a moment to recognize all the people who wanted to know how to get involved or donate.
Hopefully JORBA gets a little bump - we did a bunch of 1-on-1 sales!

Moving the trail meant clearing the rose whips from each side of the bridge - Not a huge problem, but added to the effort.
The team was up for it, and we all worked hard - measure, mark, cut, level, drill, hammer, drive screws!
Everyone was buzzing. By 11:00, we were buttoning-up the bridge build, and clearing the approaches.

The returning customers loved it!

1591578537370.png

We were going to remove the old bridge, but that is a story for another day.
Mostly because this day isn't over yet! There was still the bombed-out corner to address.

We nicked out the standing water the best we could - then went to work supporting a few boards over the two biggest holes.
It is a little narrow - somewhere around 18" wide - but is it stable and level. It isn't pinned down, so hopefully
the 100 year flood that happens every couple years doesn't wash it too far away.

1591579532164.png

Again, thank you to all who went by and gave kudos - it certainly kept us going.
@ClarkensteinJR worked exceptionally hard - and I'm sure that was one of the reasons.
I do believe he learned a few new tool skills today. I made him do math ;)
We had to call him out of the car for the pic.

1591579745268.png

Last edited:
Great day today and perfect write up! Shane (clarkensteinJR) had a blast and learned a ton. His favorite part was tamping with the “big f’ing hammer” hahaha.

One of the bikers that helped us out hauling lumber was Fernando from Kim’s bike shop in New Brunswick - wanted to give the shout out!

Last edited:
riding through a couple days back - the bridge "sunk" a bit on one side - the span was a bit longer than anticipated.
I should have lowered both ends so it would have maintained level - i may go back and work it a bit.
Intentionally did not set it on posts.

also, the walkway over the mud is now a bit off-camber. still better than riding through the mud!
the berm is gone - which was put in afterwards with the machine.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions