Trail Run, Mountain Bike, and/or X-Country Ski

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Training for a winter triathlon? Anyone up for any of the following disciplines for this week-end? Please post back or pm.

• Trail Run,
  • Mountain Bike,
  • X-Country Ski
Hope to pick up a new pair of skiis today or tomorrow, as I already have trail sneakers and snow friendly bmx pedals. Prefer B.R.O.P. (Bergen, Rockland, Orange, Passaic), but willing to drive a bit if roads aren't too bad.

100_1232.JPG

Macman's Winter Triathlon Gear

Last edited:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
A friend and I trail run every weekend. Usually in Harriman, though this Sunday we're running along the Palisades in Alpine. Just 5.5 mi, probably 9min pace.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
What time.

A friend and I trail run every weekend. Usually in Harriman, though this Sunday we're running along the Palisades in Alpine. Just 5.5 mi, probably 9min pace.
That's awesome. From what I understand there is official cross country skiing right there too.

What time do you guys usually meet?

Are you familiar with the fat tire trail that starts around spark hill?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That's awesome. From what I understand there is official cross country skiing right there too.

What time do you guys usually meet?

Are you familiar with the fat tire trail that starts around spark hill?

something is wrong here, your two post in this thread appear to make sense :hmmm:

welcome back from the slammer

THATmanMANNY

something is wrong here, your two post in this thread appear to make sense :hmmm:

welcome back from the slammer

i think it's just norm pretending to be someone else and throwing himself in the slammer and then come back all like new to show that his methodology works :hmmm:

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
D.n.f.t.t.

Trail Run, Mountain Bike, and/or X-Country Ski
First and foremost: D.N.F.T.T. Secondly, when I created this post I was thinking about activities for this upcoming week-end. But it could remain an open-ended thread for the entire winter. That being said, thank you for mentioning your weekly trail runs, and I hope to attend one of them. Your pace may be a little fast for me, but not too much.

ellbiddy

I was going to hit up the deleware water gap area (Mt Tammany) to hike, if you're into that you're welcome to come, biggest vertical in jersey, fun workout

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
The Gap

Thanks for the post. Now I am looking for MTB, x-country ski or trail running. Certainly a hike up "the Gap" would be a great thing to do outdoors this week-end. It appears we are all waiting to see what the weather will be like this week-end. So far two clubs I am in have events. One is a time trial in Harriman the other is a run from the tree at Rock Center NYC up to central park.

I'd prefer something more woods'y but, I haven't bought my skiis yet. My bad. As I was in Campmor Yesterday and bought some bike pedals (BMX). Forgot to ask about the X-country skiis, mostly cause I didn't see it on their web site. Then my buddy posts that campmor is having a huge x-country sale.

Have a good hike.

Last edited:

ellbiddy

Not a problem, I just picked up a pair of cross country skis something my family always wanted to get into so I bought a pair for everyone hopefully I'll figured out how to use the clunky beasts soon enough. Have fun with whatever you find :)

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
First and foremost: D.N.F.T.T. That being said, thank you for mentioning your weekly trail runs, and I hope to attend one of them. Your pace may be a little fast for me, but not too much.

This Sunday may not happen what with this karazy weather we're supposed to get.

When we run in Harriman the pace is more like 12-min miles because of the rough terrain, but the trail in Alpine is apparently easier, so I've been told sub 9-min should be possible (I can run sub 8-min miles for 10 miles on the road).
The good news is cycling well-prepares you for running, moreso than I thought it would. Coming after a season when I cycled 3 times a week, I jumped into 30 miles a week and 8 mile runs within two weeks without any problems.

Trail running is just fun.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
The good news is cycling well-prepares you for running, moreso than I thought it would. Coming after a season when I cycled 3 times a week, I jumped into 30 miles a week and 8 mile runs within two weeks without any problems.
I was running 5 k's a lot at lunch time. Last week-end I did a 10 K run. I'm not sure how much cycling you were doing, but for a few weeks I was out every day, many mornings at 4:45 AM.

Alpine sounds great, as I did pick-up my cross-country skiis this evening. I figure if I train enough, I'll have to go to a winter tri some where.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
xc skiing out of millbrook villiage

If the forcast is correct and biking is not an option than xc skiing is gonna happen for me out of the historic villiage of millbrook on sunday. From the village heading north is a steady climb along a creek that should be flowing well. For now I'm gonna say 8am start from villiage parking lot.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Sunday 12-21-08 8 AM

If the forcast is correct and biking is not an option than xc skiing is gonna happen for me out of the historic villiage of millbrook on sunday. From the village heading north is a steady climb along a creek that should be flowing well. For now I'm gonna say 8am start from villiage parking lot.
8 AM is good for me, but I am not sure of where the event is starting. Is it "Millbrook, NJ - in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area"? Either way the x-c skiis and mtb are in the car, and ready for activity. I haven't done x-country skiing in 20 years, but have gotten in shape this year mostly from cycling. I lost 30 lbs and at 165 lbs, would still like to loose 5 or 10 more.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
8 AM is good for me, but I am not sure of where the event is starting. Is it "Millbrook, NJ - in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area"?

Yes to question and only going if there is more then 4" of snow otherwise I'll be biking.....

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
MTB Trails Accessible in Snow

MTB in snow is good for me too. Preferably a quick loop of both. If you ski first, you have a modified double track. Last weekend we missed the Waywayanda ride due to snow. Where will you MTB this week-end? Deer park was good a few weeks ago. I posted "about parking in the U.S. 80 service area" then accessing the trails from there. I don't mind a $50 ticket opposed to totaling my car trying to get to the trail head.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kinda off-topic but I got this email today:

Registration for the 2009 Hibernia Mt.Bike Duathlon is now open. Our race will be Sunday April 19,2009. Its a 2.5 mile trail run / 11 mile Mt.Bike / 2.5 mile trail run. Great fun !!
click off-road events.

See You in April. Train Smart.

It's the first 'local' off-road duathlon of the year I think.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
The Race

Thanks for pointing out this Race. The event appears to be similar to the "Mountain Man" which I recently did at Lewis Morris. My schedule is tight in April, but I may be able to make it.

Panhead

High Point has a XC rental/ ski center. I'm thinking about heading up there on Sunday to give it a try, found out snowboarding wasn't for me. Going snowshoeing in Waway tomorrow to check out the damage. Still about 150 houses with no power here.

Top Bottom