Trail Rules who knows them....

keithsly

A buddy of mine ran into (saying came across) a dude at 6 mile run and had a question to post to the group here ??

Who knows the IMBA rules of the trail ??

Rider going uphill yeilds to the rider going downhill ??

Or

Rider going downhill yeilds to the rider going uphill ??

FYI this is a forgotten rule of the trail is just down right human to know this and if you don't take a look at the link below .....

http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

Comments ??? Anyone ??? Bueller ?? Bueller ??? Has anyone seen Ferris ??:getsome:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Downhill yields. Plenty of riders don't know this though.

walter

Fourth Party
my exp. has been rider going uphill has right of way

and at what part of 6 mile is this even an issue?:hmmm::D

and look at that, two replies at the exact same time stating the same thing.

Norm and I rule

Last edited:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Fairly well known that downhill traffic yields to uphill. We've even put stickers that say that on trail markers on the Hessian Hill climbing trail at Highbridge.

If I'm climbing, though, I'll usually pull over and let someone enjoy their downhill flow. Or at least that's the excuse I use to take a short break. ;)

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Another to remember:

Biker yields to horse
And "yield" in this case means stop, get off of your bike, and ask the horse people what they would prefer you do next.

Whatever your opinion of sharing the trail with horses and the various things they do to/leave on the trails, lots of horses have no idea what you are if you are sitting on a moving bike, and spooking a horse is no joke. Anyone who has ever been thrown, or even witnessed someone being thrown, can attest to this.

walter

Fourth Party
And "yield" in this case means stop, get off of your bike, and ask the horse people what they would prefer you do next.

Whatever your opinion of sharing the trail with horses and the various things they do to/leave on the trails, lots of horses have no idea what you are if you are sitting on a moving bike, and spooking a horse is no joke. Anyone who has ever been thrown, or even witnessed someone being thrown, can attest to this.

Right on. Last summer or so I was in the lot at Allaire and one of the horse riders lost the lead on their horse as they were trying to get it in the trailer. The horse got spooked, and made a dash for the road, then circled back into the lot. The woman asked me to block the entrance to the lot from Hospital Rd until they could bring the horse in. I agreed, but WTF am I gonna do if this thing comes at me. everything turned out OK, and Mr Ed made it into the trailer.

My point, just like ChrisG said, respect the horses. Alot of times its good to dismount and just make small talk with the rider, so the horse can feel that the rider is comfortable in the situation.

Last edited:

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
We had a large group going out for a Tuesday beginner ride, and this horse starts getting jumpy because of his reflected movement in a puddle. I was getting a little worried , seeing as we had 15 to 20 people (some fairly new and one first timer in the woods) in the trail head lot. I took off my shades and helmet, and started talking to the rider. It was ok, and I am not even sure if any one else was worried, but that is something I will go out of my way for.

LandCruiser

Horsepoop - Do you

A) tell your riding buddy
b) Bunny Hop it
c) Watch your buddy unexpectedly ride through it

Frank

Sasquatch
yell "horse shit" for the next guy. how come if you dont pick up horse shit, its ok.... but if you leave dog shit people get mad?

Mule muffins are mostly hay, water and a few oats thrown in....totally natural.

Dog shit is just that, shit. Full of meat by-products and other crap. It doesn't disappear like horsey stuff.

walter

Fourth Party
yell "horse shit" for the next guy. how come if you dont pick up horse shit, its ok.... but if you leave dog shit people get mad?

I would expect that if a horse came along and took a scrump on my front lawn that the rider would pick it up.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Mule muffins are mostly hay, water and a few oats thrown in....totally natural.

It's also processed by the horse's stomach to create byproducts that I wouldn't exactly eat in that form. By that logic, is it OK for vegans to take dumps on the trails, but not us omnivores? ;)

Top Bottom