Trail Maintenance Best Practices (Do This)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
We have a TM don't do this thread and it is easy to point at the things not to do. It isn't easy to put to things you can do to make the trails better. This thread is the place to do that.

One thing I has always harped on is trimming smarter not harder. This year I have started being a bit more targeted in removing some stuff like multi-floral vines so they arent an issue for the remainder of the season:

Using this method, all of those branches that will become hangers across the trail are eliminated. In this case, the main vine was easy to see and sometimes you cant' get. In those cases I just cut the vine where I can and trim the stuff hanging into the trail.

In any case, post your best practices here.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So in general, it is a best practices to make sure a race doesn’t happen where you do TM. However since racing has some value to the scene, it is a necessary evil. Post wet race repairs, let the muddy stuff dry a bit before you start repairing. When the mud is diarrhea like, there isn’t a whole lot you can do.
This section of trail was perfect and hard pack before the race last week and 300 laps
later after heavy rain during the first race, it wasn’t too bad but needed a touch up. You figure all of the dirt came from this area so you just need to smooth it out and clear the draining edge. For this I used a flat head shovel to scrape along the trail tread and then raked it level. After some tamping/smacking, repeated the process. Invite all the locals to grove it in. Touch up as needed.
C4945C9F-6D9E-46CF-A51C-EE67BC88102C.jpeg

8DD72EC5-0916-438E-9C69-FB752A0EC9A1.jpeg

9535D8F5-B23A-4BE9-89DB-FAFCB739743F.jpeg

mtn

Trim branches flush to tree so they don’t poke anyone.
I wouldn’t necessarily say this should always be done. Depends on the tree and how close it is to the trail. If it’s a long, deciduous branch encroaching, cut it a couple feet off trail at the nearest healthy stem. That will let the tree put energy into that stem, which should grow away from the trail for a while at least.

But no, I’m over here clear cutting the forest apparently.

Top Bottom