Trail First Aid: what do you carry?

Cassinonorth

I have one of these for 2+ hour rides pared way down:

7989fc53-46a0-435b-b1eb-c6c483ba7c2b.jpg

At the end of the day a kit is going to be as good as the person knowing how to use it...which reminds me I should take one of those wilderness first aid courses.

kjarrett

That's awesome. Source?

You hit the nail on the head - I recall looking into one of those wilderness first aid courses a while back. Never followed through. Hmmmm...

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Honestly for minor cuts, I'd just let it bleed and ride it out to my car where I'd use the first aid kit in my car... Mostly because I find that bandaids won't stick if I sweat or don't clean it properly (which is impossible to do trail side).

But I do have a little kit I put together that I always carry with me just in case. It has bandaids, alcohol wipes, bacitracin, aspirin, allergy pills, eye drops, tweezers, etc. I'll take a pic once I finally get my lazy ass up out of bed.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Honestly for minor cuts, I'd just let it bleed and ride it out to my car where I'd use the first aid kit in my car... Mostly because I find that bandaids won't stick if I sweat or don't clean it properly (which is impossible to do trail side).

But I do have a little kit I put together that I always carry with me just in case. It has bandaids, alcohol wipes, bacitracin, aspirin, allergy pills, eye drops, tweezers, etc. I'll take a pic once I finally get my lazy ass up out of bed.
PXL_20211015_113543443.jpg
PXL_20211015_113857311.jpg

Top pic: the white thing in upper right is a rolled up bag for garbage.

Bottom: phone for size reference obviously (although I always carry my phone with me too)

one piece crank

Nothing beyond my phone and wilderness first aid training. I have an extensive first aid kit in my truck, but I usually ride from home. If I feel unusually 'risky' I'll activate the RoadID App before I head out.

kjarrett

Where did you get your WFA training? I'd feel WAY more confident (individually or in a group) if I was trained.

I have a ROAD ID bracelet but had no idea there was an app. THANK YOU. Installed.

Was going to share this - "What 3 Words" - which I also have but ROAD ID's app seems superior. Different use cases, I guess.

-kj-

thegock

FIRST AID

Over the last 8 years I have used the first aid kit about five times and changed the contents just as many.

Most of the kit in a ziploc bag below was used for an 8 stitch knee cut sustained by another rider in July:

There are four 4x4 gauze pads. Duct tape wrapped around pump to attach gauze. Four rather chunky bandaids. Neosporin. Advil. Aspirin. Two opioids in a sealed hard case---if you get to an ER, you may be hours from getting any pain meds. Used to carry a Maxipad for arterial bleeds, but realized that it doesn’t happen much so it’s somewhere in the garage. Must remember what to say if Mrs. G notices and asks about it.

rick81721

Lothar
FIRST AID

Over the last 8 years I have used the first aid kit about five times and changed the contents just as many.

Most of the kit in a ziploc bag below was used for an 8 stitch knee cut sustained by another rider in July:

There are four 4x4 gauze pads. Duct tape wrapped around pump to attach gauze. Four rather chunky bandaids. Neosporin. Advil. Aspirin. Two opioids in a sealed hard case---if you get to an ER, you may be hours from getting any pain meds. Used to carry a Maxipad for arterial bleeds, but realized that it doesn’t happen much so it’s somewhere in the garage. Must remember what to say if Mrs. G notices and asks about it.

You forgot the most important component!

marijuana-ss-417.jpg

BananaFred

an ounce of prevention...knee pads and full finger gloves (those wide handlebars are great for smacking your hands into trees). I get the appeal of clipless pedals...but I have helped a number of people out of the woods because staying clipped in resulted in a kneecap blow.

one piece crank

Where did you get your WFA training? I'd feel WAY more confident (individually or in a group) if I was trained.

I have a ROAD ID bracelet but had no idea there was an app. THANK YOU. Installed.

Was going to share this - "What 3 Words" - which I also have but ROAD ID's app seems superior. Different use cases, I guess.

-kj-
I had to be certified for High Adventure Trips with the Scout Troop. If you google Wilderness First Aid you should be able to find a local training option. It is a significant course, in both time and $, but it really allows you to think out of the box. I've been MacGyver'ing stuff my whole life, and found it liberating to be prepared for remote situations. I highly reccommend it if you like to go out beyond the black stump.

Top Bottom