Trail dogs “Etiquette” and state Law

rick81721

Lothar
I understand the OP’s frustration but it’s always a great practice to question your own convictions. Had those extra steps been taken then perhaps the OP might have come to the conclusion Norm and Matty did.

As for ragging... Implying people can’t read when they clearly can is ragging

Don't understand your first paragraph. What convictions? What extra steps? The dog owner was clearly 100% at fault in this incident. Anyone who watches Judge Judy knows she would have ripped them a new one and found for the plaintiff

223281e1eec3c0a3a4cc56ce50b9d34a.gif

The Kalmyk

The sub conscious conviction that set in laws that we want to work for us will dictate behavior. Like me driving down Brookdale Ave in Linden and being pissed they are hustling heroin on the street.

Judge Judy reference is equally un relevant as it is relevant. She would certainly bury the dog owner but unfortunately for the OP, it would come down to he say she say.

Would this be a civil case?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Years ago I was bitten at Lew Mo by a Doberman which was off leash. Owners called out to me and said he’s ok don’t worry. I slowed down anyway as I got closer to them. The dog slowly circled me and, given his instincts to protect his owners, nipped me on the calf to warn me off. The owners were horrified and apologized profusely. The next day they sent me the dog’s rabies shots certificate so I could be reassured I was ok. I had to get a few stitches but nothing traumatic thankfully. I share this as it goes to show even good dog owners sometimes underestimate their pooch’s instincts. I grew up with dogs, including huge Great Danes, and know enough that when I encounter one I slow down or stop. While being off leash is indeed against park rules, I am generally ok with it by remembering that animals of any kind can be unpredictable so best to play defense.

rick81721

Lothar
The sub conscious conviction that set in laws that we want to work for us will dictate behavior. Like me driving down Brookdale Ave in Linden and being pissed they are hustling heroin on the street.

Judge Judy reference is equally un relevant as it is relevant. She would certainly bury the dog owner but unfortunately for the OP, it would come down to he say she say.

Would this be a civil case?

Yes civil and most cases are "he said vs she said". It would go like this:

JJ to defendant: were your dogs off leash?

Def: yes

JJ to plaintiff: show me your medical bills for X$

JJ: judgement for the plaintiff for X$

johnbryanpeters

Years ago I was bitten at Lew Mo by a Doberman which was off leash. Owners called out to me and said he’s ok don’t worry. I slowed down anyway as I got closer to them. The dog slowly circled me and, given his instincts to protect his owners, nipped me on the calf to warn me off. The owners were horrified and apologized profusely. The next day they sent me the dog’s rabies shots certificate so I could be reassured I was ok. I had to get a few stitches but nothing traumatic thankfully. I share this as it goes to show even good dog owners sometimes underestimate their pooch’s instincts. I grew up with dogs, including huge Great Danes, and know enough that when I encounter one I slow down or stop. While being off leash is indeed against park rules, I am generally ok with it by remembering that animals of any kind can be unpredictable so best to play defense.
I get down on the ground with aggressive dogs, initially keeping the bike between me and them. Folks walking dogs of that ilk unleashed are idiots.

JPark

Last year I was riding a flow trail at Killington bike park and I could hear the panting of an animal chasing me. Couldn't tell if it was a dog or a wild animal. I picked up speed to get away from it but it kept catching up to me. I'm like is this thing a freeking cheetah or something! How can it keep catching up to me? Eventually I realized it was just a dog and it would run straight down the fall line to catch up as I was going through the switch backs. As soon as I stopped and looked at it he ran away. I think it was a hikers dog.

rick81721

Lothar
Not really related but when I was riding the Caloosahatchee trails for the first time two days ago, the hardest trail is called "Far East" and is marked in black diamonds. Half way through I come around a turn and there is a black statue of a florida panther sitting (about half size) that I thought for a second was a big dog. Nearly jumped out of my skin until I realized what it was. Nice joke!

one piece crank

Waaa you messed up my strava segment with your law breaking dog, get over it karen. Maybe the tourne or Lewis morris is more your style where dogs are prisoners. Please do confront me on any of the allamuchy trails, my dog probably has better trail etiquette then you.
I can see how this is a very sensitive topic, but we are all animals and I like to think a kindred spirit senses a kindred spirit. Anything four-legged and agressively approaching me on the trail, short of a bear or wolverine, would certainly sense that I'm more than willing to eat them.

Foster57

In all seriousness OP, sorry to hear about your experience. Sounds like maybe you should've been riding a teeny bit more controlled (you went OTB for God's sake) and sounds like the dog owner should have had a little more respect. Both can be in the wrong.

As far as "breaking the law", come on lol. We're getting into the logic of wearing a mask while walking to dinner table and taking it off after sitting down. Life's too short to follow every rule unquestionably; if a man wants to spend his short amount of time on earth with his furry companion running through the otherwise empty forest, have the grace to allow him to do that.

rick81721

Lothar
As far as "breaking the law", come on lol. We're getting into the logic of wearing a mask while walking to dinner table and taking it off after sitting down. Life's too short to follow every rule unquestionably; if a man wants to spend his short amount of time on earth with his furry companion running through the otherwise empty forest, have the grace to allow him to do that.

Seriously? What does mask wearing have to do with dogs off leash where it is illegal to do so? People can get seriously injured from dogs - the OP here could have broken his neck.

The Kalmyk

the OP here could have broken his neck.

You could also kill someone doing the highway speed limit in Florida. But who does the speed limit on a highway anymore.

While the law favors your convictions @rick81721 , im willing to bet you wouldn’t vote in funds to support the enforcement of said law😉 (nor would I). To complain about something that is essentially left for self policing is astounding coming from a smart guy like you👊🏻😁

Kinda like...
7B5AE23B-C803-48EB-90CF-31D5941645AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom