TRAIL COOKIE RECIPE... as promised!

M

Mtnbikechick

Hello Dudes and Dudettes!

It was a pleasure riding with all of you that came out in the frigid weather to ride Lewis Morris on Saturday. It was a 'balmy' 26 degrees at the 9 a.m. start. With Maryanne's capable lead, we were able to generate some warmth and gain feeling in our limbs once again! (THANKS MARYANNE!)

Below is the recipe for the trail cookies Larry was so gracious to leave behind upon his early departure from Saturday's ride at Lewis Morris. My apologies to Larry for all the things muttered under my breath along the trail at the thought of the cookies departing along with him! Anyway, glad we could ALL enjoy them! ;)

I'd like to lay claim to fame for the recipe, but it's really just right out of December's "Bicycling" mag. I've improvised a little... noted in parenthesis. I also double the recipe and freeze the extra cookies in a ziplock bag. These little cookies pack a punch on the nutrition scale too!

APPALACHIAN TRAIL COOKIES

1/4 cup shortening (I used 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup unsalted butter (I used 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I opted not to use the coconut)
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon pastry flour (can use all-purpose flour)
pinch salt (approx. 1/4 tsp)
pinch baking soda (approx. 1/4 tsp)
pinch ground cinnamon (approx 1/4 tsp)
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
1/3 cup M&M candies

Blend shortening, butter, brown sugar and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Add coconut, flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix only until blended. Fold in oats by hand, then mix in raisins, peanuts and M&M's. Spoon out in equal portions on parchment-lined baking pan (or greased cookie sheet). Bake at 360 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes 2 dozen.

ENJOY!

LC:)

Oh jeez, don't get me started... I'm almost inclined to unleash my recipe for Bobby B's Mountain Bars... or my home-made energy gel (aka "power hooch").... I'm convinced there's a reason why this stuff is left to the professionals... (Although I'm SURE your trail cookies rock)...

Peace,
BB

ArmyOfNone

u guys and your sweets. i could go forever and not think once about it. now try to tell me there was no steak...:getsome:

M

Mtnbikechick

Power Hooch... interesting... don't leave us hanging!

rocknrollgirl

I saw that recipe in the magazine and I was going to make them for this week's ride! How funny is that. I am glad they were tasty.

OK, the Power Hooch: Pretty basic, pretty powerful... pretty nasty!

Seriously, it all depends on how you make it... One night I was surfing the outer reaches of the 'net, looking into how to make my own gel concoction, especially since the typical Clif Shot is basically maltodextrin with a few other ingredients... I knew I could do better...I was looking for a sustained "high" with less "crash".
I found a recipe that combines the following (and the first 2 ingredients dominate the recipe... the others you add sparingly to taste. Start with a slightly greater amount of honey than molasses, then vary the ratio to your liking.

Blackstrap molasses (high in potassium)
Wild honey
Sea Salt
Coffee (concentrate) - optional if you're a caff-o-junkie like me.
Water (to lessen the viscosity)

I heat the ingredients together in a sauce pan, let it cool, then pour it into a plastic bottle (like an empty quart oil container for effect... relax, I'm kidding!) from which I fill my hand-grenade flask.

Give it a try... I am not responsible for the results you get; good or bad. I like it... not something you can drink every ride, but as good as (and heckuvalot cheaper) that any blackstrap molasses-honey-flavored gel (if they made one)...

I will also dig up the recipe to Bobby B's Mountain Bars... Now THOSE are good!!!

Peace,
BB

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Now you're talkin!

I think I came across that recipe or a similar one a while back.
It is excellent, efficient, inexpensive and extremely adaptable and you can make it as organic(or not) as you wish.

I've morphed mine quite a few times and added protein for endurance events and it hasn't let me down yet. Instead of coffee, I'll use pure cocoa powder for extra protein and extra yum. I don't cook it, just mix it to a goo put it in a gel bottle and go.

As for crash factor, you might want to try blue agave syrup. I've found it in the natural food section of the grocery store and Trader Joe's carries it as well. It has a pleasant, lighter taste and a much lower glycemic index than the honey and molasses which has made it all the more ideal for me.

Top Bottom