Trail Conditions

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I am off tomorrow and hoping that there is at least 1 more day of descent weather. I have to bleed my Avids in the morning but after planning on riding. Any word on CR or six mile? Did anyone do a night ride at either of these parks tonight? Thx, J

BAIN

Planning on doing a 10 at Stokes tomorrow and my figure 8 at Lewis Morris on sunday. Will let you know!

BAIN

Stokes was in fine condition. Couple of new trees and some more mud in the usual spots.

Cousen Rd parking lot
Coursen Rd
Coursen Trail
Swenson Trail
Tinsley Trail down to Conservation Rd
Blue Mountain Trail
Waterfall Trail
Lackner Trail
Gyp's Trail
206 back to parking lot

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i have heard from a friend that:

"Gents,

I rode LM with the family today and it has drained well." (the ride was 1/12)

i think i am surfing myself and staying off the trails. anyone else have any news? i took a look at the jorba site and 1/1 was the last update...

Frank

Sasquatch
i have heard from a friend that:
i took a look at the jorba site and 1/1 was the last update...

Sadly with the a lot of 9-5ers on the JORBA board it is rather difficult to keep trail conditions up to date. We will work on that though.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The reality is also that most of the Jorba guys, and the list of people I've compiled for trail conditions, just don't ride the trails when they're iffy like this. So there's not a lot of info about conditions.

Frank

Sasquatch
The reality is also that most of the Jorba guys, and the list of people I've compiled for trail conditions, just don't ride the trails when they're iffy like this. So there's not a lot of info about conditions.

Wish I had said that......good one Norm.

Wobbegong

Very true, its been a while..... Stupid rain.

I'll be riding some dry roads tomorrow.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm going to check out KVSP tomorrow morning. it's below freezing tonight and should stay that way. if it's even iffy, i won't ride.

walter

Fourth Party
hey, I'm not doing anything for the next 8 weeks or so, maybe I can be the trail report guy. Nah, that would require me to leave my house.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG

totally makes sense.

i hate it when its iffy. i might take a drive today and check out a couple of the local trails and do a couple quick hikes in to see if its wet or not... but its winter, so it generally means the trails are wet if they are not frozen.

and with the coming snow storm, trail conditions are probably not too relevant right now... as they'll change in about 12 hours.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Mahlon

Mahlon was in good shape today. A few soggy areas, but they were easily ridden (or walked) around. Best its been up there in quite awhile, IMO...well, unless you like snow and ice :D

My intent was a longer ride but I crashed my brains out—thus eliminating what motivation I had. Somewhat fast decent, hit a rock "wrong", front washed out a bit…which wouldn’t be a big deal, except it washed out into a larger rock. Over the bars I went…hard. Luckily, I landed to the side of the trail instead of in the rocks. My shoulder and hip are a little sore. I have chain ring gnarf marks on my left forearm (dunno' how that happened). The bike is fine. The back is fine so far. I'll give it 24 hours to make sure my back is happy...I'm not worried as it doesn't feel even slightly tweaked.

Kinda' funny that my last hard crash 13 years ago was an endo on a decent (that I believe caused my back injury) and my first after getting back in the saddle is an endo on a decent...yeah, funny.

Last edited:

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tourne

It's alive......

Tourne has drained well. Minor mud in two or three spots. Lots of dead wood around.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i didn't get to KVSP today and opted instead for the gym. a dude stopped into the shop while i was there heading there so maybe he'll post something. maybe not.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
i didn't get to KVSP today and opted instead for the gym. a dude stopped into the shop while i was there heading there so maybe he'll post something. maybe not.

Kittatinny was okay -- not the best, but fair. I wouldn't be good for a hammer fest, but we were on an easy ride -- nice easy climbs and slow in the corners.

The main part of Allamuchy was great yesterday -- a few puddles in the usual spots and that was it. The trails were fairly dry. I didn't do the Tranquility side of the park, though, because I know that side gets "greasy" and slick.

Not that any of this matters -- it's going to snow tonight. :hmmm:

Last edited:

NJ Jess

Ouch

Mahlon was in good shape today. A few soggy areas, but they were easily ridden (or walked) around. Best its been up there in quite awhile, IMO...well, unless you like snow and ice :D

My intent was a longer ride but I crashed my brains out—thus eliminating what motivation I had. Somewhat fast decent, hit a rock "wrong", front washed out a bit…which wouldn’t be a big deal, except it washed out into a larger rock. Over the bars I went…hard. Luckily, I landed to the side of the trail instead of in the rocks. My shoulder and hip are a little sore. I have chain ring gnarf marks on my left forearm (dunno' how that happened). The bike is fine. The back is fine so far. I'll give it 24 hours to make sure my back is happy...I'm not worried as it doesn't feel even slightly tweaked.

Kinda' funny that my last hard crash 13 years ago was an endo on a decent (that I believe caused my back injury) and my first after getting back in the saddle is an endo on a decent...yeah, funny.

Sorry to hear about your crash. If you boo boos aren't open, you could put Arnica Montana gel on them. You will heal quicker.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Sorry to hear about your crash. If you boo boos aren't open, you could put Arnica Montana gel on them. You will heal quicker.

Thanks. Doing fine...just a light bruise or two and the gnarfs from the chain ring. A little stiff, but nothing terrible...so, I'm no worse for wear.

F

FallGirl1430

SOURland today

Hey all ...

This afternoon my BF and I went to Sourlands for the first time.
It was HORRIBLE! OK before you guys beat me up, we had rode in the front trail directly oppisite the posting board in the parking lot. The uphill was excellent. We rode past the first left had turn that you could make and continued straight up the mountain. It was ALL rocks, what I feel was unrideable (unless you want to ruin your bike) we had walked most of the trail up and over the mountain. Don't get me wrong here, I love technical riding more the better, but the upper half of Sourlands is for hikers ONLY. I do want to go back soon and make the left this time and ride the trails to the gas pipe line and go ride the other trails we had missed.
Have a nice day :eek:
Christina ...

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Hey all ...

This afternoon my BF and I went to Sourlands for the first time.
It was HORRIBLE! OK before you guys beat me up, we had rode in the front trail directly oppisite the posting board in the parking lot. The uphill was excellent. We rode past the first left had turn that you could make and continued straight up the mountain. It was ALL rocks, what I feel was unrideable (unless you want to ruin your bike) we had walked most of the trail up and over the mountain. Don't get me wrong here, I love technical riding more the better, but the upper half of Sourlands is for hikers ONLY. I do want to go back soon and make the left this time and ride the trails to the gas pipe line and go ride the other trails we had missed.
Have a nice day :eek:
Christina ...

hey there,

i ride the sourlands a lot... i'm sorry you didn't have such a good time. i love that place.

but i find it to be a much more fun loop to take that first left you passed, and loop up around to the top, go across the top through the rock gardens, and come down that way you went up. its an easier climb up that way.

if you ever head up that way again, let me know - i'll be glad to show you around (i'll warn you tho, i'm sllllloooooowwwwww :eek: ). sundays are good for me in the winter.

if its frozen, i'll post up if i am heading out there (its usually a pretty swampy place).

Top Bottom