Trail conditions at Clayton

Glenlivet12

Just got back from a hike there w/ Mare and our pups. Lots of snow! we saw several snowshoers and cross-country skiers. It was tough to hike, but the paths are starting to pack down. A bike ride would probably be tough but fun!

Dictatorsaurus

Just got back from a hike there w/ Mare and our pups. Lots of snow! we saw several snowshoers and cross-country skiers. It was tough to hike, but the paths are starting to pack down. A bike ride would probably be tough but fun!

Do you think the snow will be packed down enough for a good ride in a few days?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's

thinking of xc skiing here monday. do you think this will be more packed or allaire? packed is good, 15" of snow is tough to ski untracked.

Glenlivet12

The track everyone was using was starting to pack pretty good. I'm not sure about Allaire, I haven't been there since last weekend. Clayton will def. be packed Monday. Some of the trails farther out in the loops weren't as traveled. I've never biked in snow this deep but you can definitely get around there, itd be a good work out.

fiftyfixe

Anyone been to Clayton? I drove by today and took a look. The trail was 18" wide hard packed snow with plenty of bike tracks. I only looked from the parking lot so I don't know what it's like inside. What I saw looked ride able. Has anyone been there?

Dictatorsaurus

The tracks you saw were probably left by my riding partner and I trying to power through the snow. It is deceiving if you only look from the parking lot. It seems hardpacked but once you actually try to ride you'll dig in deep.

Even with my high volume tires I could barely go 30ft. It was impossible to ride.

So we just hung out for a bit then went home. Nobody else was crazy enough to try and tackle the trail with a foot of snow on it.

fiftyfixe

The tracks you saw were probably left by my riding partner and I trying to power through the snow. It is deceiving if you only look from the parking lot. It seems hardpacked but once you actually try to ride you'll dig in deep.

Even with my high volume tires I could barely go 30ft. It was impossible to ride.

So we just hung out for a bit then went home. Nobody else was crazy enough to try and tackle the trail with a foot of snow on it.

What time were you there? I saw an orange SUV there about 5:30 was that you?

fiftyfixe

The SUV did have a bike rack on the back so maybe someone else was craze enough to try. I wonder how they made out?

Dictatorsaurus

I would be very impressed if they got far at all.

We came across another guy who decided to ride his dual suspension on the road instead.

fiftyfixe

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about trying it tomorrow but I guess I'll pass on it and wait for a better day.

Dictatorsaurus

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about trying it tomorrow but I guess I'll pass on it and wait for a better day.

I was a little disappointed since the weather hasn't been good lately.

We're expecting more snow monday. Temperatures should be rising above freezing after that and hopefully next Saturday we'll get another chance.

Dictatorsaurus

Anyone been to Clayton recently?

I wanted to know the trail conditions and how much snow there is. I'm guessing there's still quite a bit left.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was there on wednesday, there is a lot of snow there. The snow on trails are packed from walkers & xc skiers but the snow is still too soft for tires. On a mtb you will sink in the snow and not be able to steer your front tire.
Snow should be gone by next week but the trails will need time to dry.

Dictatorsaurus

I was there on wednesday, there is a lot of snow there. The snow on trails are packed from walkers & xc skiers but the snow is still too soft for tires. On a mtb you will sink in the snow and not be able to steer your front tire.
Snow should be gone by next week but the trails will need time to dry.

Thanks for the update. I figured it out be something along those lines.

If you check out weather.com, they're expecting snow all week next week. Hopefully nothing major that would cause more build up.

dvizz

Clayton trail conditions

Stopped at Clayton yesterday to see how the trails look. Snow cover is minimal and a lot of sections have completly melted. Lot's of mud, till things dry out.

Well i didnt mind it with my nevegals. However my gfs specialized had the stock tires on it that were for hardpack only. She did not have a good time lol. Since then i have put 2.3 eskar sport tires on her bike and im sure when its slippery she wont be terrified! lol

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions