Trail Conditions 9-15/16

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Given that we're moving into the "wet" season it's time to take my responsibility as JORBA Trail Conditions helper a little more seriously. Thus I present the conditions with comments from this week.

Obviously we don't have enough people out there reporting on conditions during the week. Sooooo, if you ride during the week (especially at the "No Report" parks) and want to be on the email reminder list I maintain, or just want to post here, or send me a PM, or an email at normZurawski@yahoo.com, I would appreciate it. We can discuss the details offline if you're interested.

This is the first week of this endeavor and right now there's not a whole lot of concern about the trails. But it's going to get wet fast and Mergs and I would like to keep this as up-to-date and accurate as possible. If you have any comments on this, possibly how I could present it better, or something I could do to make it more useful, let me know! All of these conditions/dates are reflected on the JORBA site as well.

Allaire Good (9/13)

"Rode Allaire this morning, pretty much the entire park. No areas of trouble. Terrain was damp with morning dew at start, dust was minimal."

Allamuchy West/Tranquility Good (9/12)

"Tranquillity Farm side is damp but in good shape. No standing water or mud. By weekend I would expect it to be mostly dry."

"I rode Allamuchy today, Tranquility side. Condition's were very good!"

Allamuchy East/Waterloo Good (9/2)

No report

Allamuchy Deer Park Good (9-2)

No report

Chimney Rock Good (9-14)

"Rode CR on 9/13 and park is in great shape, only a few muddy spots in some areas, not too deep or rutted. Park is pretty dry overall, which is causing the rocks to loosen up in some areas."

"Rode the rock today & conditions are perfect. Even if it rains I can't see it getting that bad unless we get a few inches."

Jungle Habitat Good (9-11)

"As of last night, Jungle Habitat is GOOD. Extrapolating from that, Ramapo and Ringwood would be the same or better"

Hartshorne & Huber Good (9/13)

"Wife rode Huber yesterday, said there are a few blow downs that may be ridable for more advanced riders. Otherwise, nothing remarkable to report."

Kittatinny Valley Good (9-14)

"KVSP is in excellent condition as of tonight 6PM."

Mercer County Park Average (8-29)

No report

Lewis Morris Good (9/13)

"Rode LM today. Everything is A-OK. Just a bit of standing water on the trail down by Gilligan's Island but nothing to be concerned about. Whats up with all the painted arrows? Leftover from the race maybe? I haven't been to LM since the spring but everything looked to be in decent shape."

Mahlon Dickerson Good (9-12)

No report

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (9/13)

"Was at Ringwood today 9/13, and it is in great shape. No mud, and dust is down from the showers earlier this week."

Round Valley Average (8-29)

No report

Sourlands Good (9-6)

No report

Tourne Good (8-30)

No report

Wawayanda Good (8-30)

No report

Wharton Good (8-30)

No report

Wildcat WMA Good (8-30)

No report

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In addition it appears there are TM sessions at Allaire, Chimney Rock, Deer Park, and Lewis Morris this weekend. I updated the calendar to reflect 2 additional TM dates.

Chimney Rock Conditions

Rode CR on 9/13 and park is in great shape, only a few muddy spots in some areas, not too deep or rutted. Park is pretty dry overall, which is causing the rocks to loosen up in some areas.

Rain is forecast for this area tonight and possibly on Saturday, but at 40% and 30%, respectively, and overnight at that, I think the park will remain in good shape through the weekend and into next week.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i told you mahlon was excellent two days ago, not 15.... :)

I wondered - I never got an email from you about that. Did you think you sent one or did you actually send it and the Loch Ness Monster ate it?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Huh, never got it. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. Stupid thingamajoggers.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode CR on 9/13 and park is in great shape, only a few muddy spots in some areas, not too deep or rutted. Park is pretty dry overall, which is causing the rocks to loosen up in some areas.

Rain is forecast for this area tonight and possibly on Saturday, but at 40% and 30%, respectively, and overnight at that, I think the park will remain in good shape through the weekend and into next week.

Thanks JGR - post updated.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kittatiny upgraded from Average to Good as of tonight. Thanks for the info!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another comment added to Chimney Rock, which appears to be great right now. I should be there tomorrow.

Anyone have updates on Mercer or Round Valley? Those are 2 glaring issues on the above list.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Chemgirl! I'll update it in a bit.

I was at Chimney Rock this morning. If anyone is thinking that maybe they might go there today, wait until tomorrow. The rocks and roots are really greasy. Trails a bit tacky which makes you really dirty. I was bouncing all over on the blue loop, especially at the top of the first climb. Tires had no chance.

Sircrashalot

Six Mile Run Conditions

Rode there today. Conditions excellent. Was actually getting a bit too dry & powdery/slickery recently. There is still essentially no mud, trails were fast and grippy without being soupy + the berms in the new section are now 'set' and ridable (sp?)

HOWEVER....just after the concrete bridge coming from 27, or before it coming from ranger station, a couple weeks ago someone intentionally or accidentally smashed a couple boards on the palates just before the hill (after bridge coming from 27). This began the inevitable breakage of additional boards and nails sticking up, etc. Yesterday when I got to it they were unridable with wheel grabber gaps and nails everywhere. I moved the two badly damaged palates to the side, and put some boards without nails that I could salvage in their place. This is a temporary fix that is fine for now, but with the wet season coming more work is needed.
I will bring a saw in with me next ride and try to cut the good wood and get it onto the ground whrere it gets muddiest...if anybody has other ideas please feel free.

J

JerseyGirl

Rode Hartshorne 9/14. Some areas of serious erosion to keep your eye out for but mostly all ridable

D

DANSPANK

Blue Mountain is a go!

Just road the majority of the Jbogner loop today. The rain made the rocks and logs wet but the single track is just about perfect! By tomorrow the rocks and logs will be tack-tastic - Git yerselves there!!

Mk1Racer

Six Mile

Spent ~ 2 hours at Six Mile late this afternoon, it was fantastic. You'd never know we had a bunch of rain last week. Saw a few people out this afternoon.

Note: stayed between Rt 27 and S. Middlebush.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do we happen to have anyone here who rides Wawayanda or Wharton regularly during the week and would be willing to be added to the reminder mailing list? Joan? Bozizle/JerseyGirl?

Top Bottom