Trail Closure - July 2012

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
The bike trails at Estell Manor are closed to all traffic until further notice. Until an official assessment of overhead hazards can be completed they are requesting that we stay away.

The open field off of Artesian Well Road (past the turn off for our parking area) will be utilized by the county for storm debris collection starting tomorrow, which will significantly increase traffic on Artesian Well Road.

The park super will be in touch with me mid to late week for an update. They are super happy that JORBA and the SJ MTB community are willing to take on the work to reopen the trails, we just have to be patient while they work on the more critical infrastructures of the park system. (The main park office just got power back last night btw)

Thanks, and sorry for the bad news!

MikeP

when you guys are allowed back in to do some work, post it up. I only live about 35 minutes away and might be able to come down.....

KenS

JORBA.ORG
I spoke to park and county brass last night. Estimated date to allow us back into the park is 1 August. Painful, but understandable considering the situation.

Rocks & Water

That is not bad!

I can see were they are coming from, was in there and around the roads to there. It was bad and they need the time to get things were they have to be.Been going to Batsto great job they did on the trails, very good for the ss 29er, that is somewhere that you are out in the woods. Again great job you guys did. Checked out Ceres to, very nice but small, lots to do and can see alot of work went into the place. From talking to folks at these places it seems only a few ride up north. Those that don't, get your buddies and go for a ride. Check out Six Mile, Nockamixon and Allaire or over the river to White Clay. If you like rocks Sourland is cool.

Optiwizard

That does sux as im sure a few days with a chainsaw and it would be golden. How is bellplain? Guess i'll be going to batsto.

dkocnj

That does sux as im sure a few days with a chainsaw and it would be golden. How is bellplain? Guess i'll be going to batsto.

Belleplain is still spongy when I road the single track two weeks ago. The last couple times I was out there, I road East Creek because I can go fast.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Bellplain is the next spot I need to check out. I hit Ceres yesterday. If that place was marked well, or I knew how to link it all for flow, it would be super fun. I am looking fwd to the JORBA ride @ Ceres.

Anyway, I wish all it took was a chainsaw and some people to clear the trail, but sadly that will be the easy part. The county folks are dealing with a ton of issues, and have not been able to spare crews to assess the trail. They have a ton of overhead hazards that are being cleared by bucket trucks in other areas of the park and in other county parks. If for example a widow maker fell into the middle of the playground full of kids at Lake Lenape the county would be held liable. The first spot they re-opened in Estell was the vet's cemetery.

Thanks again for the patience! I will post up a TM date sometime after 01 Aug.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
The flatland training equivalent to pedalling up hills! Enjoy it while it lasts.

I used to call myself a flatlander when I lived in Long Island, damn was I mistaken. I did a few rides out there this week and can now confirm I am a flatlander in SJ.

Rocks & Water

Take a ride

That's why I tell folks to check out places in central jersey or up north. Going up and down and over rocks with the roots is what it also is about riding the singletrack. I'm in no way knocking the the trails down here. In fact I think the folks did a stand up job for what they laid out for the singletrack that was made. Meet Bill out at Six Mile on sat. trimming the red trail, will be sending my money into JORBA.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Good deal man, glad to hear. I have to agree, living down here its all about keeping fitness up and making the trips N/W/SW to find rocks and elevation. :D

VDavis

I called last week and found out that they were still working, although nothing is posted on the Estell Manor Park website. I was told at least two more weeks, and try calling back then. Shame this place is one of my favorite rides and it's only 30 mins away from me.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Still patiently waiting for a green light. I will post news as I get it.

Optiwizard

I had heard that the winds around the water were real intense and folks claiming to see a tornado follow the river into mayslanding. Although government denies such a tornado several different folks say they saw what they saw.

Frank

Sasquatch
I had heard that the winds around the water were real intense and folks claiming to see a tornado follow the river into mayslanding. Although government denies such a tornado several different folks say they saw what they saw.

I had a tornado hit my neighborhood last year. Everyone saw it, and the Asbury Park Press even had a photo of the funnel cloud, but they still say it was not a tornado. Apparently, if it doesn't touch the ground it's not a tornado, but it still toppled trees and caused a lot of damage. Perhaps that's what happened here.

axeman_g

Supercells. Tornadoes do not have to appear to be on the ground... A tornado gets its classic appearance when its condensation funnel descends completely to the surface. But the circular updraft and violent surface winds, NOT the condensation funnel, is what defines the tornado and causes the destruction. Spotters are trained to look for swirling debris under ANY rotating wall cloud not just a visible funnel, even if the funnel has not descscended entirely to the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercell

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Down on vacation in CM and was hoping to hit up Estelle Manor. Any updates on whether the park is open?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions