Trail Adoption: Tourne

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've been following the thread here and one that is sort of related on mtbr.com and i started thinking maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for mtbnj.com to adopt a section of the trail. ideally, we could get that little piece with that rock roller that keeps getting vandalized, but really, any part would show the communities of Mt. Lakes and Boonton that we are there and willing to do our part. i'll volunteer now for one of the days of TM (according to the post, a min of three are required) since i don't see myself not riding there at least once a week as long as i'm within 25 minutes. anyone else have thoughts on this?

jake

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
bonefishjake said:
i've been following the thread here and one that is sort of related on mtbr.com and i started thinking maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for mtbnj.com to adopt a section of the trail. ideally, we could get that little piece with that rock roller that keeps getting vandalized, but really, any part would show the communities of Mt. Lakes and Boonton that we are there and willing to do our part. i'll volunteer now for one of the days of TM (according to the post, a min of three are required) since i don't see myself not riding there at least once a week as long as i'm within 25 minutes. anyone else have thoughts on this?

jake

I was thinking the same thing about adopting a trail but didn't want to overstep any boundaries. I know there are a few people who want to take lead in that area and I'm just waiting to see how that pans out. As things stand now, I'm ready to do any TM that is needed at the tourne especially considering I have put in a ton of hours there already with a few others from the site.

I'd like to get an official verdict on some of the unofficial trails that are throughout the park as some of them are in need of serious TLC. One area could use some bridges but how do we go about doing that legally?

-jay

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
my guess would be that we would have to go through the same person(s) who are in charge of the adopt-a-trail program there. the bridges would probably have to be approved by the county.

as for trails, the one i mentioned would be great from a political standpoint. however, the red trail, where the steep downhill (or uphill, pending on direction) could use a little love.

edit: jay, how would you be overstepping yourself on this issue?

lilbuj

New here but willing to help

I am new to MTN Biking but since I live so close that my property is shown on the Toune map. I would definilty be willing to help out.

Joshua

Shaggz

A strong 7
this is more rhetorical, but i think that care should be taken when chosing a front person to be a trail steward/adopting person/public interface, especially in a park where there appears to be some friction amoung access groups. descriptors like responsible, level headed, follow through, diplomatic and tactful come to mind.

if someone feels they posess those qualities, by all means, step forward. no ego here - i do not, but will happily volunteer my time to tm efforts.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
bonefishjake said:
edit: jay, how would you be overstepping yourself on this issue?

I know someone that is actively working to get the green light to make some changes at the park.

heythorp said:
someone did adopt the red trail

within the last week there is a HUGE county park plaque NAILED to a tree with the guys name on it. I think its great for the someone to get involved but why in the world would they nail it to a tree.

The plaque is located at the entrance to the red trail from the gravel lot on the denville side.

Could you imagine a big plaque with mtbnj.com nailed to a tree? It would simply be another thing to be vandalized. :(

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp said:
someone did adopt the red trail

within the last week there is a HUGE county park plaque NAILED to a tree with the guys name on it. I think its great for the someone to get involved but why in the world would they nail it to a tree.

The plaque is located at the entrance to the red trail from the gravel lot on the denville side.

that's the one i saw...i didn't know he adopted the entire red trail though. i also i didn't realize the damn thing was nailed to the tree.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jason said:
I know someone that is actively working to get the green light to make some changes at the park.

oh...is it a local person? like i said, i grew up there and know a TON of folks in the area.

Jason said:
Could you imagine a big plaque with mtbnj.com nailed to a tree? It would simply be another thing to be vandalized. :(

actually, wouldn't it be destruction of county property? it could be good spin for the mountain biking community. i guess that's the mind of a marketing guy is always working...

Shaggz

A strong 7
i wonder if the person who adopted the trails is the one who keeps removing the rock roller?

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
there are about five other things that could be removed/damaged too, but so far that and the rock jump (where someone keeps placing a large, pointy log near the landing) seem to be the only two.

ytc100

I will definitely be taking part in TM at the Tourne when what is being organized comes together.

ytc100

Saw the plaque today. I like the fact that there are two bikers depicted in the image. Maybe it's a good omen...

ytc100

Yeah I saw the 2 ladys with the whippets - see them all the time. Cycle Works has ordered new bearings for me so I'm waiting for those to come in but in the meantime I'm still riding the Trance.

RyGanley

Adopting Tourne Trails

For All interested,

I have been in contact with Greg Murry about Adopting a few trails around the top of the Tourne then maybe move on to less eroded trails, If we go forward with specified trails; I will be posting dates and times when we will need support.

This project will be huge, it has been a while since the Tourne has had this type of trail maintenance from dedicated Moutain Bikers. The few that join this group will be the first in years to make such a big contribution at The Tourne. Get excited. And I will keep everyone posted....

Ryan Ganley

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
as i said before, i'm in. i may be there at off hours, but i'll do my part for sure. just post up to keep us in the loop.

RyGanley

Ok, going foward. I am still working on this project, so don't be dismayed if you havent heard anything in a while. The first trail I will be adopting has the first trailhead on the right when you enter the denville side. I just recived the paperwork, and have been talking with local officials about when and how to get started. I will keep all updated.. it looks like I have to go to a few meetings before I get started.

M

MCAWVU

let me know when you're going to do TM...i'd definitely be in to helping you guys out...if planned right we could meet up do the maintence and then go for a nice ride...of course there would have to be beers afterward...nothing completes a mission like a nice cold one...if you let me know when i'll throw a cooler in my trunk!

RyGanley

MCAWVU said:
let me know when you're going to do TM...i'd definitely be in to helping you guys out...if planned right we could meet up do the maintence and then go for a nice ride...of course there would have to be beers afterward...nothing completes a mission like a nice cold one...if you let me know when i'll throw a cooler in my trunk!

LIke the way you think.

Top Bottom