Tourne Park Vandilized!!

RyGanley

Last week I was riding with a group near the Frog Pond between Birchood lake (the lake with the lap lanes) and as I rode over a rock roller (build by experienced and skilled trail builders that has been there for about 2 years) to my surprise at the last second I noticed the second halph of the rock was removed, Unfortunaly I did not have time to stop so I cartweeled over landing on my neck and dragging my knee on a few rocks. After rebuilding the trick I later learned someone is walking these trails and vandelizing these tricks/ramps/ jumps and bridges... What I have so far is: Its a Dude, He is rather big and trail runs.... If anyone sees this man tearing anthing out or fucking with our trails; stop, ask his name and get back to me!
Ryan

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
RyGanley said:
Last week I was riding with a group near the Frog Pond between Birchood lake (the lake with the lap lanes) and as I rode over a rock roller (build by experienced and skilled trail builders that has been there for about 2 years) to my surprise at the last second I noticed the second halph of the rock was removed, Unfortunaly I did not have time to stop so I cartweeled over landing on my neck and dragging my knee on a few rocks. After rebuilding the trick I later learned someone is walking these trails and vandelizing these tricks/ramps/ jumps and bridges... What I have so far is: Its a Dude, He is rather big and trail runs.... If anyone sees this man tearing anthing out or fucking with our trails; stop, ask his name and get back to me!
Ryan

Covert mission!!! I'll bring the cammo if you bring the dart gun!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Being serious now... When did you notice that it messed up? I was there on Tuesday and all was good in the neighborhood.

Shaggz

A strong 7
what do you plan on doing with the name of the person who you think is vandalizing the trails, including the rock roller that you rode on? did you report this to the people/organization that maintain the trails at the park?

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was there on sunday morning and all was well. what roller are you talking about? both scott and i have moved a "log" that someone set up off of one of the rock jumps on the red trail a few times now. nice ones these folks are...putting large, pointed objects to impale you upon landing. oh, and of course the removal of rocks from the roller.

if we really wanted to catch them, cabelas sells "scouting cameras" that mount to tress and take photos when movement triggers them. i'd be willing to fork over a few bucks to get some photos of the people trying to get us hurt or worse at that place. here is an example...of the ones on the cheap end.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...s&QueryText=cameras&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

edit: yippie, i'm a senior member! beers for everyone!

ytc100

That was a really nice roller. I have seen that roller vandalized a few times and rebuilt it (shoddily at best I'm sure) a couple of times myself. Last time the rocks used to build the thing were thrown down the hill. I nearly broke my neck on that same stunt in the same way as described above. Bastard/s. I was there 5/15 morning and my latest attempt was still intact.

I am down with the camera idea. I'd love to post "Have you seen this man" posters around the park.

BTW - Jason the ramps are still ok.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
seriously, why not? what better way to nail someone than handing a time stamped photo of the person in question to the park police? people just don't freaking think and that is what really pisses me off. what happens if someone does get hurt? no accountability. UGH!

now, where is this thing again? i want to make sure i check it this weekend. for the life of me i can't get it in my head. am i just being dense on this?

ytc100

It's on the red trail up the hill from where the large tree was just cleared.

It was still intact this morning but it needs work by someone better at building these things than me.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Ry,

Honey not vinegar man.

Find the guy, yes.

Collar him and threaten to beat his ass, no.

Try and reason with him first. Explain that we as bikers maintain the trails and that we want to share with hikers, runners, etc.. We are inclusionary not exlcusionary.

This is the prime example of user conflict. User Conflict is what threatens the sport, and this is what closes places down. South Mountain, Watchung, etc.

If you adopt that trail, like we talked about, you become even more credible of an authority. You can approach him not as a simple trail user (i.e just a crazy biker) but as the steward of the trail. With authority.

Now when you calmly explain to him that this is a trail you personally steward, by authority of the Park, and that wrecking the trail is not something that is appreciate nor allowed.

This is the time to put you diplomatic hat on Ry.

I wish I saw this post before our Wed night ride. I would have chatted more about this.

Note: I totally understand the frustration. I have to also calm myself in these situations too. But this is the difference between being a leader and a solution rather than a trail user and compounding the problem.

This can be solved. Use you head and your charm and we can improve the situation.

Your right, this is a shame. Its a very nice, well-built stunt.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
bonefishjake said:
edit: yippie, i'm a senior member! beers for everyone!

Congrats - that and $2.50 will get you a Grande @ Starbucks ;). However, I will take you up o the beer offer...

C

chainring

Diplomacy?

Diplomacy? I guess my idea is out:
traps02.jpg

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
smarencik said:
Congrats - that and $2.50 will get you a Grande @ Starbucks ;). However, I will take you up o the beer offer...

actually, that, $2.50 and like another $1.00 MIGHT get me a grande... :D

A

Ant

I think you people should forget the trails and ride on the road with me.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I was there today and as I was getting ready a running with a heart rate monitor, no shirt and black shorts came running out. This dude was seriously gawking at me and it was extremely awkward. I said hi and he said what's up and that was that.

I got ready and hit the trail to find the rock roller vandalized again. This time it was very clear that the vandal JUST struck as there were some very fresh tire tracks and as this person dragged the larger rocks they cut up the trail disturbing the tracks. An attempt was made to roll the rocks down the hill but they were still visible from the trail and again all the leaves were freshly disturbed.

So without pointing any fingers at the strange guilty staring running, I'm thinking this camera idea is a good one.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Oh yeah and I painfully lugged that big ass rock back up! The roller looks like shit but I did what I could do.

ytc100

What does this person have against this roller? All of the other stunts have been left intact. It's just so childish. Hopefully this person will give up if we keep rebuilding it.

Or, we could buy the camera.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i rode REAL early on sunday am and it was there. i can't believe i never noticed that thing.

Top Bottom