Tourne Park Vandilized!!

B

ByMySide

hmmm...

I recently went to Tourne for the first time last week and upon arriving there met a man who frequents the park in order to work on his trials stuff (he is very good, especially for his age, and determined too). Anyway, he told me of a man that hikes and trail runs there who is incessantly removing logs and rocks from where he, and other bikers, work on their technical sides. We had a conversation about the danger of this man's doings, as well as the selfishness/stupidity of them. Well, this "trials" dude, perhaps he said his name was Mike, he has longer gray hair, knows who the destroyer is and could most likely point him out. So, if you are at Tourne and see long-haired-trials guy, mike?, inquire to him.
happy hunting
L

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
ByMySide said:
I recently went to Tourne for the first time last week and upon arriving there met a man who frequents the park in order to work on his trials stuff (he is very good, especially for his age, and determined too). Anyway, he told me of a man that hikes and trail runs there who is incessantly removing logs and rocks from where he, and other bikers, work on their technical sides. We had a conversation about the danger of this man's doings, as well as the selfishness/stupidity of them. Well, this "trials" dude, perhaps he said his name was Mike, he has longer gray hair, knows who the destroyer is and could most likely point him out. So, if you are at Tourne and see long-haired-trials guy, mike?, inquire to him.
happy hunting
L

Oh yeah that trials dude is there just about every day. I'll stop and talk to him next time I'm there.

Shaggz

A strong 7
This situation sounds like it is escalating, and probably should be bought to the attention of Greg Murray, of the Morris Trails Partnership. I believe that the partnership maintains the LM, Mahlon Dickerson, and other trails in Morris County. Even if his group does not actively, or or does not have the people power to do so, his intervention may abate the problem before someone gets hurt.

His E-Mail address is icebiker@optonline.net

Jason

JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
This situation sounds like it is escalating, and probably should be bought to the attention of Greg Murray, of the Morris Trails Partnership. I believe that the partnership maintains the LM, Mahlon Dickerson, and other trails in Morris County. Even if his group does not actively, or or does not have the people power to do so, his intervention may abate the problem before someone gets hurt.

His E-Mail address is icebiker@optonline.net

I just sent him an email.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
jay, post up how this works out.

i used to see that guy every day. i never stopped to chat with him b/c he was always hopping up on some giant boulder and i didn't want to wreck him.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Okay, the official verdict is we really have no rights here. I'm kinda bummed about it but I can't say I'm truly surprised. The stunts shouldn't be there in the first place and we should be thankful that no one has complained about them thus far. I guess the ultimate concern is that the park commission becomes aware of the stunts and that leads to trail access limitations. So what we are left with is the tourne is what it is. It's a great after work, local spot to ride but for the technical stuff we will have to find it elsewhere.

ytc100

Well the roller is trashed once again. I just didn't have it in me this morning to lug that rock back up the hill so for now the a-hole is winning. Very annoying and I actually found it hard to focus on the ride for awhile.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
ytc100 said:
What do they have to complain about? A pile of rocks? I just don't get it.

That's just it, they can complain about the clouds in the sky but as long as they say it's our fault it draws attention to bike use in the park. Some people just live to make trouble.

This makes me wonder... A tree falls down and we throw some logs and rocks down so we can ramp it; angry person comes and removes rocks from one side and places debris in the path. Rider comes, expects a smooth log roller here and endos and gets hurt pretty bad. We didn't put the tree there but this person went out of their way to intentionally hurt somone by removing one side that a rider obviously couldn't see.

So who do we complain about to get this formally on the books?

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
this is absurd. scott is right...it's a freaking rock. well...what if we play the passive aggressive game with this joker? i don't know...say put a "dab" or two of liquid nails on the rocks? it would certainly make things interesting.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jason said:
That's just it, they can complain about the clouds in the sky but as long as they say it's our fault it draws attention to bike use in the park. Some people just live to make trouble.

This makes me wonder... A tree falls down and we throw some logs and rocks down so we can ramp it; angry person comes and removes rocks from one side and places debris in the path. Rider comes, expects a smooth log roller here and endos and gets hurt pretty bad. We didn't put the tree there but this person went out of their way to intentionally hurt somone by removing one side that a rider obviously couldn't see.

So who do we complain about to get this formally on the books?

it sounds like no one. unfortunately, it seems that hikers (walkers, bird watchers, dog enthusiasts) have a RIGHT to be there while for us it's a privilege that can be stripped away at any time.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
bonefishjake said:
this is absurd. scott is right...it's a freaking rock. well...what if we play the passive aggressive game with this joker? i don't know...say put a "dab" or two of liquid nails on the rocks? it would certainly make things interesting.

Then they take a picture of it and bring it to those who are in charge and say, "hey look what those evil bikers are doing to our park."

bonefishjake said:
it sounds like no one. unfortunately, it seems that hikers (walkers, bird watchers, dog enthusiasts) have a RIGHT to be there while for us it's a privilege that can be stripped away at any time.

That's exactly how I feel but we are outnumbered for sure.

ytc100

I don't know why I should feel that I shouldn't build a rock roller on the side of a trail. Is this behavior illegal? Are there a set of rules regarding trail usage and who is allowed to do what? Why can a hiker modify what exists while I can't? I get pretty tired of dealing with stranger's dogs running up to me, chasing me, or just getting in the way while I pull over to stop and let these "privileged" hikers walk by. Should I take pictures of these people and complain about them? And who would I complain to? The "Mountain Lakes Kiss My Rich White Ass Society"?
It seems a lot of bikers want to cower in the corner while hikers, horse riders etc. get to run all over the place with no regard to how they modify the park. I personally don't enjoy riding through big piles of horse crap but in my mind I think "Well they have a right to be here so I'll just try to jump that pile". Should I complain about that?
I guess I'm so frustrated because I don't live to try and control other people or worry about what they are doing. I'm tired of people trying to control me and I'm tired of people trying to tell me what to think or feel.

So there.

ytc100

Naa. I rode this morning. Thanks for the offer though. I've given up on that roller. I don't want to piss off the wrong people and get biking banned from the park.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
the reality is that we are viewed by as pests by the "public" that frequents the tourne. there are so many things wrong with why, that i don't even know where to start. i have a background in philosophy as well as environmental science so i could, quite literally, go on all day about who actually has the "right" to be there (a quick summary- everyone and no one does). in a much smaller way, this is the very same issue that effected me while at school in gettysburg. the end result: horses were fine, bikers were not. why? that i dunno.
what i do know is that there is A LOT more at play at the tourne. "we", as in us mt. bikers, are looked at by a lot of these folks (as in mt. lakes residentz) as intruding personal back yard...THEIR little utopia. trust me, i know, and have known SO MANY of these types of folks that it's not worth getting into (but generalizations are dangerous, and that said, a lot of the folks i am close with their are nothing like that). the fact is, that heythrop is right and we don't have the right to "modify" trails (i'm not going to get into how the natural cycles of nature are FAR MORE destrutive than us little bugs are) but that person does not have the right to jepordize putting someone in the hospital or worse. while our acts may not be park "natural", they don't harm anyone or even potentially cause harm to anyone and that is the heart of this issue.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i actually remember that...and i remember thinking it was completely her fault, which it was. but i get the message...

as for riding, i got my (first!!) 30 miler in this am and i'm stoked. my legs felt great and i probably could have gone ten more if i didn't run out of time. makes me wonder how much faster i'd be on a road bike...

RyGanley

Verification on stunts

As I relize that these stunts are frowned opon by the Tourne I want to point out that: my concern is not for the actual stunts that pop up here and there but the Malice of some individual against others that share the trail. If you dont' like a stunt, put a few branches in front if it to deomonstrate that it's closed after you destroy it, this way no one get's hurt. I just want people to be aware that this going on, and to be carfull.

On the other hand, like Jeff mentioned; As frequent users of these trails we do share them with equesterions, hikers, trail runners and other bikers. We do hold a responcabilty to keep any and all stunts that may pop up out of harms way, off the main trail and at times out of site. It is impossable to stop both building of stunts and the destroying of them but we should be mindful of what happens at our parks. So if you see somone building or destoying, do talk to them, and do inform them of your personal concerns because others may share your feelings. And if you decide a stunt needs to come down, remeber to make it oviouse that it's been removed with brush in front of it or a log to block it. YOu would not build a highway intersection without a stop sign!

ride on.

Last edited:
S

secondspeed

Ryan,
Where is the love at Lewis Morris Trail maintenance dates? It does suck about the insane man removing huge rocks!! Evan

RyGanley said:
Last week I was riding with a group near the Frog Pond between Birchood lake (the lake with the lap lanes) and as I rode over a rock roller (build by experienced and skilled trail builders that has been there for about 2 years) to my surprise at the last second I noticed the second halph of the rock was removed, Unfortunaly I did not have time to stop so I cartweeled over landing on my neck and dragging my knee on a few rocks. After rebuilding the trick I later learned someone is walking these trails and vandelizing these tricks/ramps/ jumps and bridges... What I have so far is: Its a Dude, He is rather big and trail runs.... If anyone sees this man tearing anthing out or fucking with our trails; stop, ask his name and get back to me!
Ryan

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
The Tourne

Ok, the Tourne is a Morris County Park, right? If it is my suggestion would be to contact Gregg Murry (go to the JORBA site and see the LM section) about starting up a group. Gregg has the whole thing wired in Morris County, he will direct the group in the right direction. Then a plan can be put togehter and TM can start. You shold have a point person, and it sounds like that may be taking place already. Then support that person and talk about what needs/should be done with the park. New trails, that will likely be the last thing on your list. Improving the existing trails should be the first. This way you earn the trust of the Land Manager. Once this is done you will be albe to talk to them about what the group would like to see done.

Thats it! Simple! The last thing is with a park like the Tourne you have to remain unbiased. That is you have to consider the group of users in the Park and perform TM based on that. You cant just do it from a bikers stand point, you will not make friends that way.

I am not proclaiming to be an expert, but if you want any direct input send me a PM and I will be more than happy to share what I know and has worked for me. Also, talk to Mergs, he can point you in the right direction as far as other contacts.

See ya,

Bob W.

Top Bottom