• make them wide, tight windy, little technical and slow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • make them narrow, wide turns fast and little technical

• make them narrow, wide turns fast and very technical

• Total voters

RyGanley

Refer to the map below: Go ride that trail and leave options on how we should make changes. They will go on record when we actully decide how to make the reroutes. Please don't start without us we will be making large changes so keep your streangh for then.

NOTE: The trails must not run down the Fall line (if you pissed up this trail would it flow over your shoes? Yes: it's on the fall line). The trails stay technical, fast and challenging. All stunts come later if at all, I don't know anything. And, last the rerouts must stay near the origainal trail; they aren't going to change the maps.

After it's official we will be calling for arms, I will need about 10 people the first day.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
honestly, i don't much care how it gets done just so long as it happens. riding the red trail the last couple years i've seen it go from rocky to worse. i'm just glad something is going to happen. you can pretty much count me in helping out.

just so i'm clear what section we're talking about, it's: after the boulder roller, over the log jump, throught the trail crossing, up the little hill and finally off the rock jump to the really rocky technical uphill section? :D

btw...any chance to spin some PR in our favor (as in the MTB community)? i would guess the Daily Record would be the place to start and i'd be happy to make a few phone calls for that.

edit: i changed my mind. i want HUGE drops, bridges 10ft off the ground winding around trees and some nice slick rock imported from moab. :D

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

I'd be up for helping since this is likely the nearest trail to me in Secaucus.

If it's the rocky section as mentioned above then I don't mind the downhill so much but the up hill is a but of a pain in the arse. A fast meander would work for me...

Let me know the dates and I'll get my wellies out...

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I don't know if any drastic changes are really needed. I'll be happy if the trails stay the same but are brought back to single-track size and are armored against erosion. Obviously the rocky section of the red trail needs serious help so I'm curious to hear what the experts have to say about that area.

ytc100

I agree with Jason that these trails mostly need to be choked off in some spots (as has already been done). Although some of the choked off areas were my preferred lines - more rocks please! :)

I like the rocky climb towards the south a lot - just needs to be narrower, and it would be nice if the downhill on the other side could have a more interesting end other than just going wide left around all the loose junk.

The trail after entering on the Denville side if you bear left at the fork needs some work where the tree is down. That area seems to be pretty eroded although the downed tree has provided a nice excuse to go around the worst of it.

Glancing Aft

I only moved to Boonton a year ago, so I can’t really compare the trails in the Tourne to how they once were. I will say I enjoy them although they could be a little narrower. Although with the amount of traffic going through it might be hard to encourage underbrush to grow.
From my limited trail maintenance experience I have in Ringwood and observations I’ve made it will be hard to encourage people to not use the old trail if it’s rerouted. So in the end you will end up with two eroded trails instead of just one.
My two cents, which is probably worth about half a cent is just build up the erosion control on the trail, and if you want to have fun build some jumps into it, create a big drainage berm that we can jump off of or build a bridge in a really eroded area.;) Then again, I don’t think the hikers would appreciate that.
I live less than 5 minutes away, so I’ll try to make it to one of your trail work days should you need some manpower. Good luck!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I voted:

"Make them narrow, tight windy and very technical and snow"

I just want to know where you are going to get the snow ;)

The thing that I would aim to achieve is "flow". Flow is the key. Flow is what makes the trail you favorite trail. What's flow? Hard to define, but you know it when you ride it. To me its a trail that is:

a) narrow enough to make you think but wide enough to get your handlebars between trees. ;)

b) twisty enough to be super fun but constructed in a way that the better you are the faster you can go, without cutting off turns and skidding of course. this means its challenging but can be ridden fast too.

c) you don't have to get hirky jerky with turning and jacking on the brakes and skidding. you can carve turns, you feel that carve as you accelerate throgh the turn.

Does a flowy trail have to be non-technical and dumbed down? no way! Flow can be technical and slower then be fast later. You just don't want fast, slow fast slow in a short stretch, that's bad flow. So if you have a 100 foot stretch of fast wavy singletrack and a big blwodown, move the blow down because it kills the flow. If you have a boring section that is slow then maybe the blow down adds to the experience. Its all a matter of taste but think about "flow" in your design and you be fine :)

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
just curious - does the morris county trails comission approve all trail work before it is done? i thought i read somewhere that greg murray gets involved in this work.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
just curious - does the morris county trails comission approve all trail work before it is done? i thought i read somewhere that greg murray gets involved in this work.

Ryan and Jason are "adopting trails" on behalf of the Morris Trails Partnership and JORBA, through the Morris County Parks' "Adopt a Trail" program. Greg Murray and I are both in contact with the AAT Coordinator within Morris County Parks Commission and she is aware of Ryan's interest and she's spoken to Ryan already by phone and email.

Once Ryan finishes the "Adopt a Trail" paperwork, and its processed, he is officially sanctioned to maintain the trails he's chosen to adopt.

Greg and I are both acting as advisors and mentors but its thier crew and they can organize the sessions as they see fit.

The initial goal is to maintain existing trails, which includes narrowing, choking down, cleanup of blowdowns, and nicking trails to reduce pooling of water, and some re-routing of some trouble sections (eroding fallline stretches). However, we need to gain the park's confidence and trust before we do "radical changes" and build new trails. Its taken Greg years to get to a point where he can build new trails, with Greg's clout we can achieve more with less time. But we need to conservative initially, especially about trailbuilding. We can dream of new trails one day but we need to start with maintenance now. Also keep a low profile about it online: we don't want the parks to get spooked by a false impression that we're going to be cutting new trails whereever we wish and without permission of the park. That's a quick way to lose the privilege of maintaining the trails at all.

Hey, good times ahead! Tourne improvements are on the way!

Last edited:

RyGanley

mergs said:
I voted:

"Make them narrow, tight windy and very technical and snow"

I just want to know where you are going to get the snow ;)

The thing that I would aim to achieve is "flow". Flow is the key. Flow is what makes the trail you favorite trail. What's flow? Hard to define, but you know it when you ride it. To me its a trail that is:

a) narrow enough to make you think but wide enough to get your handlebars between trees. ;)

b) twisty enough to be super fun but constructed in a way that the better you are the faster you can go, without cutting off turns and skidding of course. this means its challenging but can be ridden fast too.

c) you don't have to get hirky jerky with turning and jacking on the brakes and skidding. you can carve turns, you feel that carve as you accelerate throgh the turn.

Does a flowy trail have to be non-technical and dumbed down? no way! Flow can be technical and slower then be fast later. You just don't want fast, slow fast slow in a short stretch, that's bad flow. So if you have a 100 foot stretch of fast wavy singletrack and a big blwodown, move the blow down because it kills the flow. If you have a boring section that is slow then maybe the blow down adds to the experience. Its all a matter of taste but think about "flow" in your design and you be fine :)

I Feel Jeff on this:

but how to do you make the trail "you"?...... ;)
But seriously, you make a good point on that: Trails should "FLOW" it's what makes the experience a bit more Zen... I want the same out of what we make. I would like to use HeartShorne as my insperation, they have the best flow I know of. But like I stated before.... Step by Step... we get to that later.. first we need to get those trails in shape.. they are two FAT.. and not Phat enought...

Last edited:
Top Bottom