Tourne Dog bite

Blair

wanted to get some thoughts on this, dog biters anonymous. Lots of dogs out, don't think I saw one on a leash outside of the parking lot. I extend the general courtesy for all passing, ride slow or stop, etc. so this one black poodle with a red collar decides to run with me after one pass and after it darted in front of me twice so I start slowing down again, then it bites me through my pant leg so obviously I'm now stopping, yelling and ready to throw down and it runs back to the guy 100 yards back. I really don't mind dogs until they start drawing blood. Of course there are no park officials so wtf. I thought the guy might have been in a white Range Rover so beware of that dog.

Attachments

• IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 337

kidzach

you should have confronted the owner and requested his information. You never know, at least this would lead to the owner to understand he needs to leash his aggressive dog.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I see lots of dogs at the Tourne, and they are almost always off leash. Most of them are fine, some have barked at me, and some have chased after me a little. I've not been bit yet, but feel like it's only a matter of time.

slushdog

Oh man, not cool. I hope the dog got all his shots. That is a pretty bad wound. I agree with JimN, almost everyone walks their dog without a leash but if you know that your dog is a biter, then leash the darn dog. The owner is very irresponsible. Some towns have zero tolerance for dogs that bite humans and therefore the dog has to be put down. Thanks for the warning to look out for the black poodle. I hope you heal up fast.

Blair

you should have confronted the owner and requested his information. You never know, at least this would lead to the owner to understand he needs to leash his aggressive dog.
At first it didn't feel like much and I yelled back. Of course 5 minutes later I come upon another poodle type mix unleashed that started darting around and that's when I stopped, looked at it and showed the guy.

pibbles

At first it didn't feel like much and I yelled back. Of course 5 minutes later I come upon another poodle type mix unleashed that started darting around and that's when I stopped, looked at it and showed the guy.
So you showed someone else the wound but not the owner of the dog that bit you? Why would you let that go? If the owner has the dog off leash they might not be responsible enough to have the dog up to date on rabies shots. Most people I've seen with dogs off leash know that their dog generally isn't a problem, and have been proven trustworthy. The owner of the dog that bit you needs to know about your experience so that they can correct it. Rabies is no joke. You feel thirsty?

rick81721

Lothar
Saw at least 4 dogs off leash today. One started chasing me but it was so short I doubt he coulda got my ankles

slushdog

You are a nice person. I wouldn't take it out on the dumb poodle but scold the owner. I get that you were far away from the owner and didn't think at the time that you needed to confront the inconsiderate owner.

Blair

You are a patient man. I would have handed the guy back his headless poodle, so I could drop the head off for rabies testing myself.
I don't sweat the small stuff, and don't want to burn any bridges from the park community standpoint but I will be calling the office tomorrow. It's become too much of a commonplace to be off leash so if everyone does it, it's deemed ok.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
wanted to get some thoughts on this, dog biters anonymous. Lots of dogs out, don't think I saw one on a leash outside of the parking lot. I extend the general courtesy for all passing, ride slow or stop, etc. so this one black poodle with a red collar decides to run with me after one pass and after it darted in front of me twice so I start slowing down again, then it bites me through my pant leg so obviously I'm now stopping, yelling and ready to throw down and it runs back to the guy 100 yards back. I really don't mind dogs until they start drawing blood. Of course there are no park officials so wtf. I thought the guy might have been in a white Range Rover so beware of that dog.

I think I rode past you today. Had a bit of a standoff with this dog earlier in my ride. it held its ground as i approached on my bike, so i decided to stop about 15 feet away, which is when it darted at me but thankfully stopped. the guy apologized and coerced it along. That is a dog that should definitely be on a leash.

MuniMan

Go get your rabies shots. Speaking from experience a leg bite isn't bad, you will be glad that you didn't get bit on the hand when you see the syringe for first shot.

If you are ever bit do your best to identify the dog's owner and gets the dogs tag #. And then you file a police report. The police report is essential. I learned.

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
This happened to me at Lew Mo 15 years ago...it was a Doberman at that. The owners were apalled and promptly sent me their dogs' rabies report (none). They also understood then the importance of leashng him. I reported the incident (but not the owners) to MCPC so they could stress the leash law in their material and with park police. I think your plan to report it is good.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I cant begin to start venting why this pisses me off so bad.

First and most important @Blair I am praying you heal well, fast, and without any complications. Puncture wounds especially from an animal bite can be nasty. If you decide to not get medical attention, at least get some Manuka honey and put it on the wound and bandage it.

As for the dog and owner. Its not the dog's fault he has a bonehead owner. Its dog owners like this that make it hard for other dog owners. The reason dogs are restricted from so many areas is because of negligent owners like this one. I work hard at teaching my dog to be polite and I find other dog owners actually make it harder for me because they have no F'n clue (oops did I just slip there). They look at me like I have 3 heads when their dogs come running up to me and my dog and I ask them to control their dog. Some try to control their dogs and I give them some grace, some are obviously puppies and I give them even more. But the dog that runs up from out of the woods with no owner in site, then when the owner does show up and doesnt even try to call back their dog from jumping on me while I am trying to hold my dog back or up in the air or whatever I could kick them (the owner not the dog). Most honestly dont get why I am mad. I gave a guy hell yesterday and said "what if I was on my bike and I crashed because of your dog?" His response "I didnt come here for a lecture I walk my dogs off leash because I trust them" I couldnt beleive it. You "trust" them? to do what? run up to people univited? Dogs should be taught to keep a "line of sight" with their owners and even then to keep within a certain distance if within a public usage area, or according to law, on leash.

As for the "my dog is friendly" line they use all the time, I have had my puppy attacked 3 times so far by "friendly" dogs.

on another note:
I am trying to teach my dog to ignore humans and dogs alike. And to only approach you if invited. If my dog ever comes up to you univited, ignore her or yell at her (no "ooh what a cute puppy" remarks cause thats just inviting play time). If she jumps up on you, shove her off and yell "down" at her. If she is in the trail and in your way while you are biking, use the COMMAND "move!" she ALMOST always steps to HER right. But I try my best to keep her close and under control. Sometimes I ride with her leashed to the bike. Some have made some negative comments about that. But I like it, it keeps her safe and complies with not only the law, but with the rights of other trail users.

slushdog

Well, I'm just going to say it... forgive the bad pun. Arwen's Mom is a rare breed. Thank you for being a considerate human being. :)

olegbabich

I have been bitten, so I try to put the bike between me and the dog. I do not care if your dog is friendly and does not bite.

If it is a larger dog I look for a big stick.

Next dog that bites me better be faster than me.

I was bitten there last year by some little brown rat-like dog dragging a retractable leash behind it. The owner did apologize, but I wish I had called the park about it. Must be a mountain lakes thing, I've never heard of so many mean dogs anywhere else.

Zaskar

I've always loved dogs and miss ours tremendously but since I was bit two years ago I'm still freaked out. It's a weird feeling riding up and thinking I have no idea how these off leash dogs are going to react. The owner of the dog blamed me.

Top Bottom