Tourne County Park Conditions

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's 4 if you count the one down by the lake.

i did count the lake, i actually forgot about the one by the ballfield since its further down the road i never drive in to it, and only pass through on occasion.

Marshj

Anyone ridden lately? Planning on heading over in a half hour or so.

Yes sorry to have missed this.

Did red to blue to red to purple to ball field on Sunday. Everything was dry minus a few small 3-5’ patches, maybe only 3 of them total, wet spots we tiptoed over. A few people let tracks and plowed through the mud. Please don’t do this as it errodes the trail and the relationship with the land managers.

Jeff

TPI_Elky

Yes sorry to have missed this.

Did red to blue to red to purple to ball field on Sunday. Everything was dry minus a few small 3-5’ patches, maybe only 3 of them total, wet spots we tiptoed over. A few people let tracks and plowed through the mud. Please don’t do this as it errodes the trail and the relationship with the land managers.

Jeff

Saw the same patches last night, and went around. First time I stuck to red but had to hoof it on some of the climbs. Second time around I tried pink, teal and purple which were good. Tried blue, but it was a nasty climb up the rocks.

If I read your description right, did you do it clockwise? I think blue would have been better in that direction. I did it counter clockwise and that might have been my mistake.

Marshj

Saw the same patches last night, and went around. First time I stuck to red but had to hoof it on some of the climbs. Second time around I tried pink, teal and purple which were good. Tried blue, but it was a nasty climb up the rocks.

If I read your description right, did you do it clockwise? I think blue would have been better in that direction. I did it counter clockwise and that might have been my mistake.
yup, clockwise. but actually did blue counter clockwise as we missed the trail head and ran up it backwards and made a micro loop. it would be better run clockwise 100%.

Conditions were good this morning, but also replying to @Marshj regarding mud. According to Jorba standards (which prefers one does not ride in mud), riding through the center of a mud spot causes less damage than going around. Going around the mud widens the trail, which you see in a lot of places in the Tourne, unfortunately. Here’s a PDF they’ve created.

Attachments

• JORBA_ Muddy Trails Awareness Brochure - FINAL 3_19 (printer friendly).pdf
    636.6 KB · Views: 221

Marshj

Conditions were good this morning, but also replying to @Marshj regarding mud. According to Jorba standards (which prefers one does not ride in mud), riding through the center of a mud spot causes less damage than going around. Going around the mud widens the trail, which you see in a lot of places in the Tourne, unfortunately. Here’s a PDF they’ve created.

I agree 100%.

That is why tip toed through it.. while walking our bikes!

TPI_Elky

Conditions were good last night. Didn't get to ride as much as I wanted. Tried to park on the Mountain Lakes side, but they were paving the road to the lot, so I had to drive back around to the other side.

Blue sucks in all directions, but was dry at least. Other trails were in great shape. Tried yellow, but probably won't again.

Do they ever open the road through the park? I've only been there a couple of times, but the road was closed. If that was open it would make going to the different lots so much easier.

TPI_Elky

So why is there such a nice road with nice lots that no one can use? The picnic area has a nice lot but you can't park in it. Almost seems like it could be an ADA thing.

Ok, so I know I'm out of shape and not so good at rocky stuff, but what is the right way to do blue then?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions