Tourne County Park Conditions

bergsnj

Also, during a morning Tourne ride earlier in the week, I noticed that someone is opening up the old line off of the top of the red switchbacks heading toward Birchwood Lake. This line looks to finish at that one switchback with the boulder. Do we have permission to block up these rogue trails? I know some parks are sensitive about civilian intervention.
i saw that too. That line isn't even fun. the new trail to the left is way more fun and longer too.

notcho

The best Tourne is an empty Tourne. Less than 10 cars in all lots combined this morning. Trails were phenomenal. Always best to avoid this place during peak hours of the day when weather is nice. Even more so now.
331EA8A7-2846-4CBD-822A-95A030E13384.jpeg

stilluf

Trail conditions yesterday evening were fantastic. Wednesday's rain seemed to have had little impact; even the lower trails were dry. I was so inspired that I rode to the top of the Tourne!
Only negative were the number of non-social distancing hikers...rather than moving in single file to one side, groups lined both sides of the trail with a narrow path for a biker to ride through between them. Thanks guys!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Absolute train wreck....trees down on every trail in the park and not a spec of saw dust anywhere.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
in all fairness, its only been a few days and priority would be on clearing facilities and parking first.

Downfall presents an opportunity to fix erosion, widening and trail braiding.
In each case, the trail routing should be first accessed before removing the downfall.
Often, by choosing to selectively cut another path, the downfall can be used to divert water off the trail.
Branches and logs can also be used to narrow the trail and define a more sustainable route.
So while it is good that MCPC has the money and manpower to perform these tasks, I don't think they have this in mind when working.

FitmanNJ

Currently, Tourne County Park is in rough shape. I lost count as to how many down trees there are that will require a chainsaw to remove — probably 15 or 20 — and I didn‘t hit the entire park. If I have my bearings correct, the worst of the treefall is on the northwest side of the park. I handsawed a few things, but it was a drop in the bucket. There are a number of ride walk arounds forming at the worst of the spots. I hope the county has the manpower to dispatch some workers to address this because, at the moment, ”flow” isn’t possible in many places.:(

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
JORBA has re-established contact with the MCPC and there may again be opportunities to help improve trail conditions in the park.
Please add to this thread general comments, observations or specific sections of trail in the Tourne County Park that need maintenance.
Also, if you would like to get more involved in bicycle advocacy and perhaps be the future JORBA representative for this park, please message me.

threefour

Right, I was there today and was going to shoot photos of Red but I wouldn’t have gotten a ride in there’s so much. You might be better off if someone shot video with a GoPro while riding red then posted it to YouTube.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I skied at the Tourne today and think it might be decent for biking tomorrow. I'm hoping to head out tomorrow morning before work and will post up conditions.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Pretty decent, but it could use some more packing down, which should happen today. There were already quite a few people out when I was leaving. White was totally fine but obviously boring, purple was rough and not packed down much, red on the Mountain Lakes/Boonton side was mostly good though I had to hike up the hill heading north, and I didn't check out red on the Denville side. Should be all good to go for the weekend I would imagine.

roc

I skied at the Tourne today and think it might be decent for biking tomorrow. I'm hoping to head out tomorrow morning before work and will post up conditions.
How was the skiing? i was thinking about going over there or patriots path with my XC skis. Have a lot of people skied over there?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How was the skiing? i was thinking about going over there or patriots path with my XC skis. Have a lot of people skied over there?

I had a really good time and would have done it again today but I'm too sore from yesterday. If you stick to the white trail or have a set of skis you don't care about, then it's good. There were some others out on skis yesterday, but hiking and snowshoeing seem more popular.

roc

I had a really good time and would have done it again today but I'm too sore from yesterday. If you stick to the white trail or have a set of skis you don't care about, then it's good. There were some others out on skis yesterday, but hiking and snowshoeing seem more popular.
thanks, i don't care about my XC skis, they get used about once every 4 years.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
packed enough for skinnies? Asking for me since I moved so far, far away.

There were skinny tracks on white and it looked like they were a bit all over the place. Red and purple you would have had no chance this morning, but maybe tomorrow or Sunday morning? The snow seems really dry and isn't really packing down all that great, so I'm not really sure.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions