Toughest technical climbs?

David if you are going uphill from the guardrail you are going in the wrong direction.

100% agree. After going down the trail that ends at the guardrail at CR Rd, I knew I would never ride up it. In the 20 years I've ridden there, I may have ridden up it once and said to myslef, "Why the hell am I doing this?" That may as well be a directional trail.

Every single trail in Ringwood goes up it seems.
I love/hate riding here. It's all I really know. Lol

The switchback climb at Round Valley is pretty good for that too, but maybe thats just because you do a ton of climbing before that haha!

This is probably unfair since it's not so much "difficult to clean" as "impossible", but I'd go with the walk-up at Iron Cross 2015 in Williamsport, PA. I'd bet that there isn't a rider on the planet (including someone like Hans Rey) who could clean the old walk-up at previous Iron Crosses in Michaux, and the one in Williamsport is steeper and longer and ends with a section you have to literally scramble up a rock face. And just walking up was the most challenging part of the race last year. Calling it "a technical climb" is kind of like calling a cliff "a steep climb", so like I said, it's probably unfair to use that one. But when I think of intimidating sections of any trail, that's the first one that comes to mind. I was so happy that I didn't know if was coming last year, and this year my plan is to give myself a memory-erasing head injury before the race so I can't remember it's coming. Because ... STRATEGY!

As far as actual rideable hills, I might say the Gazebo climb at Wissahickon is up there, but only for singlespeed. If you can stay in the saddle, it wouldn't be too bad. And it's very short. But I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've cleaned it on the single and I've attempted it hundreds of times.

Other than that, not sure.

At the tourne believe it or not there was a washed out climb which has since been replaced with a beautiful switchback. I think I did the whole thing once or maybe twice out of like a hundred times. Lol

How is Tatum ?

How is riding Tatum? Can you get some mileage in. I've never been there

Eh... you need to do 5 loops at least. There's 2 pieces of tiny single track that are fun actually and the rest is pretty wide with some mowed paths. There are a couple of hills for some elevation. It's good if you live close by and want to crank some miles. Other than that, it's not that great. Nothing that challenging..

This one:

10881972_420009511486876_727598225_n.jpg

I can't clear it, but I'm sure there's world class trials type of guys who can. There's a lot of stuff like this all over the state if you enjoy carrying your bike.

This is probably unfair since it's not so much "difficult to clean" as "impossible", but I'd go with the walk-up at Iron Cross 2015 in Williamsport, PA. I'd bet that there isn't a rider on the planet (including someone like Hans Rey) who could clean the old walk-up at previous Iron Crosses in Michaux, and the one in Williamsport is steeper and longer and ends with a section you have to literally scramble up a rock face. And just walking up was the most challenging part of the race last year. Calling it "a technical climb" is kind of like calling a cliff "a steep climb", so like I said, it's probably unfair to use that one. But when I think of intimidating sections of any trail, that's the first one that comes to mind. I was so happy that I didn't know if was coming last year, and this year my plan is to give myself a memory-erasing head injury before the race so I can't remember it's coming. Because ... STRATEGY!

As far as actual rideable hills, I might say the Gazebo climb at Wissahickon is up there, but only for singlespeed. If you can stay in the saddle, it wouldn't be too bad. And it's very short. But I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've cleaned it on the single and I've attempted it hundreds of times.

Other than that, not sure.
I remember a crazy climb that maybe 1 or 2 guys did at the Phillipsburg cross race a few years back. Great spectator spot as everyone would cheer louder and louder as each person ALMOST made it. I walked it.

I've never made the guard rail climb at Chimney in one shot, so for me that's probably it. Also, Steep as F*ck at Watchung. Never made that either.

I just barely carried my bike down the C trail at the sourlands going to boulderama. Not the mid-C trail. I doubt anyone can ride that thing.

Back
Top Bottom