Total Newb from Avenel

nobodyhome81

Hello, I just bought a bike two weeks ago to try and get myself moving again. I've been riding on the streets so far and breathing in the fumes is killing me. So I did a search for NJ trails which led me here. I've never done any mountain biking before but it looks like it can get pretty addicting.

From what I've read so far on this site I've committed the cardinal sin by buying a bike from a retailer. I bought a Schwinn Protocol online from Dick's. I guess my question is if I take this thing on a trail will it just fall apart or is it a decent starter bike?

Can't wait to get out on the trails and into a new hobby. If anyone wants to show a newb the ropes let me know. I work nights and am going to school so i'm down for morning rides on Tuesdays and fridays and the weekends.

rlb

Whats up I'm right around the corner from you. I can't say much about the bike, but I can fill you in since I'm a beginner myself. My gf and I spent a lot of time at the D&R canal the past 2.5 years. Its nice because you can get the feel of the bike, log a lot of miles, and build up your confidence/endurance without worrying about cars running you over. I just had my first real trial ride at 6 mile run last weekend and it was awesome, I can't wait to get out there again. I'm really bummed about this rain tomorrow. You're at the right place, there are a lot of cool people here.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard.
I rode a retail bike for a lot of years with no major problems.as your skill level gos up you will most likely want to upgrade but for now at least you can get riding to build up some skills just make sure and get a helmet and bring at least a spare tube and a pump so you don't need to walk out.
and have fun if you watch the posts you will find rides to go on for sure..

dualfisted

welcome newb.....

Kinda tuff to answer your question about the bike. Some factors that go into it are the type of off road riding u plan to do, your weight and how smoothly you ride and shift. Most bikes are generally made for riders under 175lbs max, but if you aren't going to jump it or ride harder trails or generally beat on it, the bike may be just what u need to get started. Riding it will certainly answer your own question as you will begin breaking parts very quickly should you be riding above your bikes level. Problem is that u don't want to find that out thru some sort of "catastrophic failure" which leaves u injured. My best suggestion would be to take the bike to a TRUSTED LBS (local bike shop) and have them give it the once over. The folks on the board here can point u the way to one near u. Let them know the type of riding you're gonna be doing and see what the consensus is. Once u get going, just enjoy riding the bike, cuz that's what it's all about, and soon you'll be dumping your entire paycheck on bikes and bike related gizmotronics. Whoop whoop!

rlb

Our area does suck...Just rode around here for the first time (Usually ride near my gf's house if we're on the road). I went up to the quick check on green st to get some drinks for the ride, then went down to the power lines near avenel st and rode along them, up to blair rd in port reading and came back along port reading ave. It was pretty lame...but better than the road. I did see a deer back there which I thought was weird. I'm also paranoid that I hit some major poison ivy patch, but I don't know that I'd be itching so soon...

sixseven

Hello, I just bought a bike two weeks ago to try and get myself moving again. I've been riding on the streets so far and breathing in the fumes is killing me. So I did a search for NJ trails which led me here. I've never done any mountain biking before but it looks like it can get pretty addicting.

From what I've read so far on this site I've committed the cardinal sin by buying a bike from a retailer. I bought a Schwinn Protocol online from Dick's. I guess my question is if I take this thing on a trail will it just fall apart or is it a decent starter bike?

Can't wait to get out on the trails and into a new hobby. If anyone wants to show a newb the ropes let me know. I work nights and am going to school so i'm down for morning rides on Tuesdays and fridays and the weekends.
People always say that that about the retail/big box bikes...but thats what you have now and it will work just fine for now. The first 'mountain bikes' were modified Schwinn cruisers that were jacked up to handle downhill fire roads north of San Francisco by a bunch of stoners who found road riding to be limiting.
Your bike will work fine for you at this stage.
Your skills will grow and you will want more.
You will then spend your free time staring at bikes that you want on the interwave. That is why you are here.
When the time is right you will find the bike you dream of, the mirror machine that allows you to climb effortlessly, the machine that chooses lines for you, the most 'flickable' 'stallion' which is the perfect addition to your 'stable'.
It is just a bike in the end. Enjoy it more fully before now becomes the 'next bike quest' from which we all become victim to.
Plenty of people all over the world having the time of their lives right now on bikes purchased who knows where...its not about quality bike, its about quality time.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
sixseven;89275 Plenty of people all over the world having the time of their lives right now on bikes purchased who knows where...its not about quality bike said:
Dude,
that sums it up pretty much to a tee..

nobodyhome81

rlb - HaHa I rode along those power lines too. I live about a half mile from them.

I like your attitude sixseven

Thanks to everyone for all the solid feedback

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Welcome

Hi NewB,

Welcome to the site! My opinion the online box bike would be fine for now, like one of the guys said, as you get faster you may need to upgrade. I would stock up and duct tape, zip ties and tie wire for now :p

RC ... :)

Top Bottom