Top vs bottom chain guide

nj6964

I just switched to a 1x narrow wide ring and I have an XT (non clutch) mech. I’ve been riding the new ring for a few weeks and I love it but I had it drop the chain once during a fall

In the interest of being really frugal....My options are a $10 bottom tensioner, mounted on the chainstay, from amazon. Or a regular top guide like oneup or zippa for mid $30s. I don’t believe I have isgc mounts and don’t want to spend the $80-90 for a top and bottom DH mount.

Any opinions are much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Ian F

A bottom tensioner will add drag to the drive line. A properly set up top guide will not. I'd go with the top guide.

Or save up a few more $ and spring for a clutch derailleur. They really do work. I've beat the snot out of my Megatower riding mostly DH/park with XT and no guides at all and haven't dropped a chain.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you have a threaded BB, I have a Gamut roller that gets mounted in place of some BB spacers you can pretty much have. Otherwise, definitely just wait for a clutch derailleur.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Get a new DER with a clutch. You can do more damage to the bike than the cost of the new part.

nj6964

Wow thanks for the great responses everyone! This makes better sense. Any votes for best value derailleur...or anyone have a spare 9 sp clutch derailleur? I hate to buy a new 9 sp derailleur instead of just upgrade to 10 sp set...but that might be my best option.

moose35

Just get a 10 speed clutch derailleur and then you can use it now with your 9 speed stuff.
Then when you get ready to upgrade the rest of your drivetrain that's 1 less thing to buy

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Just get a 10 speed clutch derailleur and then you can use it now with your 9 speed stuff.
Then when you get ready to upgrade the rest of your drivetrain that's 1 less thing to buy
I thought the 10spd clutch type had different pull ratio than the 9spd?

nj6964

Yeah 9 speed...I just found out that clutch 9 speed isn’t really a thing. So if clutch 10 sp will work with my shifter, a Shimano 9 spd, great! But I’m not sure this will work. And I really don’t want to get a new groupset right now. This makes trying the $10 tensioner look more appealing.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
these things are pretty darn good.

7A3E6BA0-4469-4C5D-A82B-2D6030759025.jpeg

moose35

Ignore this. I'm completely wrong.

nj6964

Looks like all roads for a clutch mech mean at least new shifter as well. I may try removing a few links from my chain as I didn’t do that when switching to 1x. Let’s see how it rides after that.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Also if anyone has an old groupset (mech, shifter, cassette or some combo) they want to get rid of...I’m interested!!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like all roads for a clutch mech mean at least new shifter as well. I may try removing a few links from my chain as I didn’t do that when switching to 1x. Let’s see how it rides after that.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Also if anyone has an old groupset (mech, shifter, cassette or some combo) they want to get rid of...I’m interested!!

Removing links will most likely solve all your problems with the exception of the chain slap noise.

nj6964

I just went out and adjusted the chain and was able to remove 3 full links. Amazing how loose it was. I followed the park tool guide of “size it for a perfect fit, then add 1 full link.” Let’s see how it rides this weekend.

As confirmation I let the air out of my shock and compressed it with the rear mech on largest cog. The chain was tight but there was still a bit more range in the derailleur to get a bit of slack to prevent chain snap. Seem OK? I ask bc I sized the chain with rear shock extended not compressed.

Top Bottom