Top Speed

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I recently put a comp back on my bike and rode Clayton and had a top speed of 34 mph on the downhill with the berms. What is anyone elses max speed at Clayton or anywhere?

ArmyOfNone

I havent ridden there in quite some time, but I recall seeing 30+ mph. Id be curious to see what i could do now considering i kinda know how to ride a bike now. That decent is sweet!

D

DANSPANK

I got up to 45mph on my mtb but on skylands road. I felt so much more secure than trying that speed on my roadbike...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I recently put a comp back on my bike and rode Clayton and had a top speed of 34 mph on the downhill with the berms. What is anyone elses max speed at Clayton or anywhere?
I'm looking forward to bombing down that at 30+ on my cyclocross bike.:getsome:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Clayton had just about perfect conditions yesterday...with all of the rain, there were only a few sandy spots.

I can recollect speeds of 28+ mph but I am sure I've gone faster there. I have not ridden Clayton in over a year, it might be time for me to check it out again one afternoon next week.

Anyone want to ride? I should be able to make it by 5 or 5:30 pm.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I got up to 45mph on my mtb but on skylands road. I felt so much more secure than trying that speed on my roadbike...
Interesting. My experience is opposite yours: Descending and especially cornering at speed on my mtb on the road feels way wrong to me.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
On the road i hit 50mph on morning glory road and over the weekend i hit 47.6 on Grand view. On the fire roads at Mtn Creek i have hit 39 mph but it was very sketchy.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I got into the high 40's at round valley once.

Last week I saw 48.9 on my road bike in VT.

j

Ez-E

My buddy Matt and I rode Clayton yesterday and we got top speed of 25 I believe it was. It def. felt a lot faster than that though.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
My buddy Matt and I rode Clayton yesterday and we got top speed of 25 I believe it was. It def. felt a lot faster than that though.
Yeah... 24.2. I knew we were cruising pretty good but had some more we could get out of that section.... I don't know if I can make mid 30s though, that's fast :scared:

Last edited:

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
The "chute" used to be a good deal smoother, but I can still hit 28-30 just about everytime I ride there.

TheDon

i got 33mph down the clayton hill a few years ago but stopped riding with about 2 years back so dont know now. . got 45 mph full suspetion and trail tires coming down the verrazano bridge

Matt_

I Get Jokes
The "chute" used to be a good deal smoother, but I can still hit 28-30 just about everytime I ride there.
Went down the chute today... it was getting dark and the leaves dont make it easy to pick a smooth line, but we still managed to top out at 26mph. So I can definitely see hitting 28-30 in good conditions... maybe next time :D

clarkenstein

JORBA Money Launderer
JORBA.ORG
i just broke 40 mph out in telluride CO, but that was a long time ago. i should put my 'puter back on - i feel like i have been pushing downhill speeds again as of late. let's make a "beat my speed" thread.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless you have the wheel sensor on your bike, the peak speed on the garmin isnt usually super accurate.