Top Speed

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I recently put a comp back on my bike and rode Clayton and had a top speed of 34 mph on the downhill with the berms. What is anyone elses max speed at Clayton or anywhere?

ArmyOfNone

I havent ridden there in quite some time, but I recall seeing 30+ mph. Id be curious to see what i could do now considering i kinda know how to ride a bike now. That decent is sweet!

D

DANSPANK

I got up to 45mph on my mtb but on skylands road. I felt so much more secure than trying that speed on my roadbike...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I recently put a comp back on my bike and rode Clayton and had a top speed of 34 mph on the downhill with the berms. What is anyone elses max speed at Clayton or anywhere?
I'm looking forward to bombing down that at 30+ on my cyclocross bike.:getsome:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Clayton had just about perfect conditions yesterday...with all of the rain, there were only a few sandy spots.

I can recollect speeds of 28+ mph but I am sure I've gone faster there. I have not ridden Clayton in over a year, it might be time for me to check it out again one afternoon next week.

Anyone want to ride? I should be able to make it by 5 or 5:30 pm.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I got up to 45mph on my mtb but on skylands road. I felt so much more secure than trying that speed on my roadbike...
Interesting. My experience is opposite yours: Descending and especially cornering at speed on my mtb on the road feels way wrong to me.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
On the road i hit 50mph on morning glory road and over the weekend i hit 47.6 on Grand view. On the fire roads at Mtn Creek i have hit 39 mph but it was very sketchy.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I got into the high 40's at round valley once.

Last week I saw 48.9 on my road bike in VT.

j

Ez-E

My buddy Matt and I rode Clayton yesterday and we got top speed of 25 I believe it was. It def. felt a lot faster than that though.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
My buddy Matt and I rode Clayton yesterday and we got top speed of 25 I believe it was. It def. felt a lot faster than that though.

Yeah... 24.2. I knew we were cruising pretty good but had some more we could get out of that section.... I don't know if I can make mid 30s though, that's fast :scared:

Last edited:

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
The "chute" used to be a good deal smoother, but I can still hit 28-30 just about everytime I ride there.

TheDon

i got 33mph down the clayton hill a few years ago but stopped riding with about 2 years back so dont know now. . got 45 mph full suspetion and trail tires coming down the verrazano bridge
133446647_07c664f72b.jpg

Matt_

I Get Jokes
The "chute" used to be a good deal smoother, but I can still hit 28-30 just about everytime I ride there.

Went down the chute today... it was getting dark and the leaves dont make it easy to pick a smooth line, but we still managed to top out at 26mph. So I can definitely see hitting 28-30 in good conditions... maybe next time :D

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i just broke 40 mph out in telluride CO, but that was a long time ago. i should put my 'puter back on - i feel like i have been pushing downhill speeds again as of late. let's make a "beat my speed" thread.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless you have the wheel sensor on your bike, the peak speed on the garmin isnt usually super accurate.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions