Top of Skyline Shuttle / Sunday, October 18th 2020

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
New Start Time: 9:00am

The TOS Shuttle is a point-to-point trail ride that starts in Ramapo State Forest at the Top of Skyline Drive in Oakland, NJ. We work our way along the mountain ridge towards Ringwood State Park. There are a few bomber downhill sections but plenty of technical climbs too. At the end there are vehicles waiting to shuttle us back to the Top Of Skyline, where we celebrate with snacks and refreshments.

This ride is challenging but fun. The first 4 miles are typical north Jersey trails - rocky and technical. Although this is not a hammer fest, we try and keep moving. You definitely need to be in shape. More importantly you need to be comfortable on rocky terrain.

PM or post up if you want in. Vehicle logistics will be figured out closer to the date when we have a solid head count. Hope to see you there!

Date: Sunday, October 18th
Wheels down at 9:00am sharp.

Total Distance: ~13 miles
Total Ride Time: ~3 hours
Total Elevation: ~1400’

Starting Point
Skyline Drive, NJ / Ramapo Lot
GPS: 41.047831, -74.251615

Ending Point
Long Meadow Rd. NY
GPS: 41.150693, -74.237747

(2019 Ride - https://www.strava.com/activities/2731973797)

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Check out Jeff’s (Aschor) ride at Wildcat on the 3rd. It’s a good warm up for the TOS shuttle. Heck, this might be much harder! o_O

Ashcor

Check out Jeff’s (Aschor) ride at Wildcat on the 3rd. It’s a good warm up for the TOS shuttle. Heck, this might be much harder! o_O

having done both I’d say they’re about equal.... the course is about as easy as WCR gets.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
😩 My back has been jacked up for a couple of weeks. Every time I think it’s getting better I go for a ride and end up back to square one. 🙁

I blame this f’ing coronavirus. I’m sitting for hours in my basement, working virtually. It’s not good for my back. If I don’t improve over Columbus Day weekend then I will have to bail on this ride. ☹️ Just another shitty thing to add to this terrible year. I feel defeated.

Last edited:

Captain Brainstorm

😩 My back has been jacked up for a couple of weeks. Every time I think it’s getting better I go for a ride and end up back to square one. 🙁

I blame this f’ing coronavirus. I’m sitting for hours in my basement, working virtually. It’s not good for my back. If I don’t improve over Columbus Day weekend then I will have to bail on this ride. ☹️ Just another shitty things to add to this terrible year. I feel defeated.
Hopefully you make a miraculous recovery, PT and stretching, and whiskey hopefully pay off. In case you do bail, I may be able to lead a more traditional ride through Ringwood hitting said drops and rollers also (assuming we're both talking about the same features). It would be 10miles give or take, same disclaimers in your OP would apply. My original thought was to go from Lingenstein Rock out on Cannonball and hit most of the same terrain coming back into Ringwood, however there are multiple trees down between the top of White, Lingenstein, and the Scout Camp, all blocking the best lines.

This is all pending the resolution of your physical ailments, cross country, and the arrival of my new bike, for which I will need to take a road trip to take possession.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
You cutting off part of Skylands, Knob and Warm Puppy. There's a couple of nice drops and technical stuff there too, it wouldn't stretch the ride that much...never done Halifax, how is it?
It all depends on time. I try and keep the whole ride to ~3 hours. Some years we move faster than others. I add or remove sections depending on the group’s pace.

Halifax is an old hiking trail. It’s a steep and rocky switchback similar to the top of warm puppy, just a bit more raw.

roc

You cutting off part of Skylands, Knob and Warm Puppy. There's a couple of nice drops and technical stuff there too, it wouldn't stretch the ride that much...never done Halifax, how is it?
Halifax is knarly, if thats the trail that leads you back toward the fireroad by the botanical gardens. It used to be hiking only.

serviceguy

It all depends on time. I try and keep the whole ride to ~3 hours. Some years we move faster than others. I add or remove sections depending on the group’s pace.

Halifax is an old hiking trail. It’s a steep and rocky switchback similar to the top of warm puppy, just a bit more raw.
Halifax is knarly, if thats the trail that leads you back toward the fireroad by the botanical gardens. It used to be hiking only.

Thanks, I'll give it a swirl next time I have a chance. I'm assuming you will be riding it from Skylands down to the Gardens, if it is the one I think it would be very steep taking off from the fire road. And it is still marked for hikers only...

Last edited:
Top Bottom